Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-03-2019, 07:05 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

To Beard or Not to Beard, That is The Question

https://tkburk.com/facial-hair-on-men/
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

Re: To Beard or Not to Beard, That is The Question

The Apostle Paul had a burden to reach the lost. This drove him to say “I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means shave some”
Old 06-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
The Apostle Paul had a burden to reach the lost. This drove him to say “I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means shave some”
Old 06-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Better quit bringing rational thought to discussions. Some around these parts don't take kindly to it!
Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud View Post
Better quit bringing rational thought to discussions. Some around these parts don't take kindly to it!
While I’m a clean shaven I have my own personal preference for doing so. But as to teach it with book, chapter, and verse? I cannot find a scriptural reason to abstain from whiskers. But as Elder T K Burk has pointed out, is that a beard was a symbol of masculinity.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I think the older saints and Preachers that came out of the 60s and 70s had good reason to shave and leave the old identity behind and they did it with a pure heart and intention. Though there may be no scripture that states facial hair is sinful it would cause mas ciaos in some circles to introduce beards into the church.

The real reason facial hair isnt worn in some places is the peers would consider you backsliden, or your Pastors would rebuke you and not allow you to be in leadership, or some have made an oath to God concerning facial hair, or fellowship for some would be limited to a handful that you already think are backsliden.
There may be more...
Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the older saints and Preachers that came out of the 60s and 70s had good reason to shave and leave the old identity behind and they did it with a pure heart and intention. Though there may be no scripture that states facial hair is sinful it would cause mas ciaos in some circles to introduce beards into the church.
There was never a reason to ban beards. The "hippie" thing made no sense at all. Hippies who got saved were in no big hurry to shave. They were browbeaten into it by the Preachers. It still works that way.

If it were indeed a matter of "well we dont want to be associated with something that wicked worldly people do" they would have given up their suits long ago.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
Though there may be no scripture that states facial hair is sinful it would cause mas ciaos in some circles to introduce beards into the church.
I don't believe there would be mas ciaos at all. Nor any mass chaos.

I'm pretty sure people have the ability to adapt and accept something which has no prohibition in Scripture and is, at this time, indefensible.

It's like at my work when the Supervisor is out of the office. Incredibly work goes on. My co-workers arrive when they're supposed to and do the work they're supposed to do.

It's called being adults.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I don't believe there would be mas ciaos at all. Nor any mass chaos.

I'm pretty sure people have the ability to adapt and accept something which has no prohibition in Scripture and is, at this time, indefensible.

It's like at my work when the Supervisor is out of the office. Incredibly work goes on. My co-workers arrive when they're supposed to and do the work they're supposed to do.

It's called being adults.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Funny growing up I played high school baseball. One of the requirements was to be clean shaven. Don’t shave your off the team. Nobody questioned it we all shaved. The only reasoning we ever got was to look as clean as possible on the field. Not one time did anyone ever quit for it to my knowledge. Another time I had young man in the youth group that wanted to be used. I told him he needed to shave if he wanted to be used. He didn’t agree didn’t shave and eventually backslid. Ran into him one day at McDonald’s where he recently got a job. Clean shaven. I said “ oh you shaved “ and he said “ yah it’s a requirement here to work “. Funny people only balk at standards in the church. Not one person have I ever heard preached it using “ chapter “ and “ vs “ but only as a standard. I think it’s still a good standard.