Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Sister Alvear

Forgiveness Corrie Ten Boom

Let me give you something else from Corrie ten Boom:

After the war she returned to Germany to declare the grace of Christ.

“It was 1947, and I’d come from Holland to defeated Germany with the message that God forgives. It was the truth that they needed most to hear in that bitter, bombed-out land, and I gave them my favorite mental picture. Maybe because the sea is never far from a Hollander’s mind, I liked to think that that’s where forgiven sins were thrown.

‘When we confess our sins,’ I said, ‘God casts them into the deepest ocean, gone forever. And even though I cannot find a Scripture for it, I believe God then places a sign out there that says, ’NO FISHING ALLOWED.’

The solemn faces stared back at me, not quite daring to believe. And that’s when I saw him, working his way forward against the others. One moment I saw the overcoat and the brown hat; the next, a blue uniform and a cap with skull and crossbones. It came back with a rush—the huge room with its harsh overhead lights, the pathetic pile of dresses and shoes in the center of the floor, the shame of walking naked past this man. I could see my sister’s frail form ahead of me, ribs sharp beneath the parchment skin. Betsie, how thin you were! That place was Ravensbruck, and the man who was making his way forward had been a guard—one of the most cruel guards.

Now he was in front of me, hand thrust out: "A fine message, Fraulein! How good it is to know that, as you say, all our sins are at the bottom of the sea!" And I, who had spoken so glibly of forgiveness, fumbled in my pocketbook rather than take that hand. He would not remember me, of course—how could he remember one prisoner among those thousands of women? But I remembered him. I was face-to-face with one of my captors and my blood seemed to freeze.

"You mentioned Ravensbruck in your talk," he was saying. "I was a guard there." No, he did not remember me. "But since that time," he went on, "I have become a Christian. I know that God has forgiven me for the cruel things I did there, but I would like to hear it from your lips as well. Fraulein,"—again the hand came out—"will you forgive me?"

And I stood there—I whose sins had again and again been forgiven—and could not forgive. Betsie had died in that place. Could he erase her slow terrible death simply for the asking? It could have been many seconds that he stood there—hand held out—but to me it seemed hours as I wrestled with the most difficult thing I had ever had to do.

For I had to do it—I knew that. The message that God forgives has a prior condition: that we forgive those who have injured us. "If you do not forgive men their trespasses," Jesus says, "neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses." And still I stood there with the coldness clutching my heart.

But forgiveness is not an emotion—I knew that too. Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart. "Jesus, help me!" I prayed silently. "I can lift my hand. I can do that much. You supply the feeling." And so woodenly, mechanically, I thrust out my hand into the one stretched out to me. And as I did, an incredible thing took place. The current started in my shoulder, raced down my arm, sprang into our joined hands. And then this healing warmth seemed to flood my whole being, bringing tears to my eyes.

"I forgive you, brother!" I cried. "With all my heart!" For a long moment we grasped each other’s hands, the former guard and the former prisoner. I had never known God’s love so intensely, as I did then. But even then, I realized it was not my love. I had tried, and did not have the power. It was the power of the Holy Spirit.
[Holocaust Victim Forgives Captor, Citation: Corrie Ten Boom, Tramp for the Lord (Berkley, 1978), pp. 53-55]

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 06-02-2015, 10:32 AM
On the road less traveled

Re: Forgiveness Corrie Ten Boom

This is one of my favorite stories Corrie told, and what a beautiful lesson it holds! Glad you shared it today!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Sister Alvear

I loved that lady! Oh, what a lady....I have read most everything she wrote...I pray that someway God helps me to at least have a portion of her forgiving spirit....

Old 06-02-2015, 12:42 PM

Oh I so agree! I have read all her books that I can find, and her heart for the Lord was inspiring to say the least!

Interestingly enough, this past weekend, a church in our area sponsored a night at a new local event center where they showed the movie "The Hiding Place" about Corrie Ten Boom, that was open to the community for free and they served snacks. It was wonderful to see the movie and to be reminded that the freedoms we have today could easily be taken away, just as theirs suddenly were, and the only thing of value we really have is the gospel of Jesus within our hearts.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

A magnificent story of forgiveness. A thing to many Christians nowadays are lacking.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Not riding the train

I love this story. I saw a documentary and her personal secretary didn't describe the story as well as what is written here!
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Sister Alvear

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” Corrie Ten Boom

Old 06-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
That would make a great signature line!!! Thanks for sharing that quote, Sister Alvear!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
My daughter used that quote in her yearbook under her graduation photo. So very true!
Old 06-02-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I love this story. I saw a documentary and her personal secretary didn't describe the story as well as what is written here!
Have you read her book "Tramp for the Lord"... it is quite a story, and a good read. I need to read it again myself!