Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Present Day Apostles

I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum, but I don't remember seeing it since I have been here.

Do you think there are present day Apostles?

Who are they?

Who said they were?

What qualifies them?

Will they be members of the UPC, AMF, ALJC, TULSA TURNAROUNDS, AOG, COGIC, PAW, PAM... okay, so there's not a PAM I don't guess. Just ran out of orgs. etc.

I have a problem with men standing up and declaring themselves Apostles. I was at a meeting a couple or three years ago and it seemed that every preacher that got in the pulpit proclaimed he was an Apostle! I have a big problem with that! Am I alone in this area of thinking?

BeenThinkin

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Re: Present Day Apostles

Paul seems to have been the only 1st century apostle to ever have gone out of his way to proclaim his apostleship; yet he was also obviously endorsed as an apostle by the others in Acts 15 and other passages.

Apostles do not ordain themselves. They are sent out under the authority of whoever sends them.

Revelation 2:2, tells us that there are those who falsely claim to be apostles and that the church has means for trying and discovering the veracity of the claims.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

I believe in the possibility of RESTORATION APOSTLES. Those who would restore the New Testament Church to its former glory. I have met several men who claimed to be one and they were IMO false apostles.

Then there are a multitude of them among the Charismatic/Pentecostal groups making the claim. From what I have seen none of them are. It is a deep hope I have to be alive when they would come forth.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 AM
*sigh*

I believe there are such. Sisnce the Bible does say in Eph 4:11 that "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;"

And doesn't follow that with "and then he took away the Apostles" means to me that the office still exists.

Though I gotta admit, most of the fellows running around passing out business cards with "Apostle Bob", or whatever, on it... simply are nothing more than a bunch of poseurs.

There are many though who have done the work of Apostles, planting churches, growing training and raising up ministries. Those guys who are the real deal in today's world typically don't grab the title, they just do the job.

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the World
It's all over, fat lady done sang...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Christmas 2009

I honestly believe that my husband's anointing is that of an apostle, but he would never put that on a business card or tell people that! Apostles go out and plant churches, and that seems to be his calling, both here and overseas.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Atkinson View Post
I believe there are such. Sisnce the Bible does say in Eph 4:11 that "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;"

And doesn't follow that with "and then he took away the Apostles" means to me that the office still exists.

Though I gotta admit, most of the fellows running around passing out business cards with "Apostle Bob", or whatever, on it... simply are nothing more than a bunch of poseurs.

There are many though who have done the work of Apostles, planting churches, growing training and raising up ministries. Those guys who are the real deal in today's world typically don't grab the title, they just do the job.
I agree. And yes there are Apostles today as much as there is Pastor's. There are not as many and I have never heard anyone claim to be an Apostle.

I believe Bro. John Hopkins is an Apostle. He has planted many churches. I also believe Bro. Freeman was an Apostle. And I believe Bro. James Kilgore is one. He has planted many daughter works in Houston.

Not sure why this generation seems to want to remove the Apostles and Prophets as not being applicable for today.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I honestly believe that my husband's anointing is that of an apostle, but he would never put that on a business card or tell people that! Apostles go out and plant churches, and that seems to be his calling, both here and overseas.
Bingo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

You would first have to define apostle before you could determine if there would any today, wouldn't you?

What exactly is an apostle?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Ravaged by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum, but I don't remember seeing it since I have been here.

Do you think there are present day Apostles?

Who are they?

Who said they were?

What qualifies them?

Will they be members of the UPC, AMF, ALJC, TULSA TURNAROUNDS, AOG, COGIC, PAW, PAM... okay, so there's not a PAM I don't guess. Just ran out of orgs. etc.

I have a problem with men standing up and declaring themselves Apostles. I was at a meeting a couple or three years ago and it seemed that every preacher that got in the pulpit proclaimed he was an Apostle! I have a big problem with that! Am I alone in this area of thinking?

BeenThinkin

YES!!! I'll admit to being bugged when people proclaim upon themselves to be an apostle. But I also have to admit those feelings are inconsistent with the repeated self-proclamations of Paul. I don't really know why it annoys me. Our modern-day Christian culture doesn't do it, so I suppose that's it, but it isn't wrong. But it bugs me.

But I believe the greatest day of a modern-day "Apostle", would be Bill Hybels, pastor of Willow Creek Community Church. And for added bonus points, he would never call himself that!!