Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters > Branhamism
Facebook

Notices

Branhamism Discussion of distinctive doctrines of William M. Branham.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Dr. Vaughn

What really happened at Pentecost?

Option #1 - An ole time, Holy Ghost campmeeting with shouting & Speaking in Tongues,, Praising God and having a good ole time

Option #2 - The most effective missionary outreach in the history of the church

I choose #2 and here is why...

Not one time are we told anyone was Praise God on this day.. there is nothing about Magnifying God or any sign whatsoever that this was a church service...

Here's what I see..... of course you will tell me where I'm wrong.. good

Here is where the story begins:

Luke 24:47 - And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

This is Jesus speaking to his followers about their upcoming mission... they are to preach the gospel to ALL NATIONS.. which will happen or begin at Jerusalem

In the course of conversation with Jesus, they must have felt the burden of this heavy responsibility, after all they did not speak the languages of the nations.... Jesus knowing their fear says this to them

And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

They were told to go and wait in Jerusalem until they recieved ABILITY (the original for power in this scripture) they would receive a supernatural ability to reach the nations at Jerusalem and this ability would come to them from on high... delivered unto them by the Holy Ghost

So, what happens next? they went and they waited.. this was a time of waiting.. I can only imagine their wondering how they would be able to speak to all the nations about the gospel......

BUt God was up to something.. there was only ONE TIME a year when all the nations gathered at Jerusalem... for the Feast of Pentecost... and GOD KNEW that this would be the time to affect the most people with the gospel...

So they wait and wait... until they heard a sound and languages rested upon them (tongues in the original is languages) so languages of fire rested upon them.....

and immediatly we see that they began to speak in foreign languages that they had never learned... they were ecstatic I am sure to see the ABILITY come upon them to obey the words of Jesus, supernaturally...

Please note they were not speaking in tongues as Pentecostals do because Paul said "if one speaks in tongues he speaks unto God and not unto man and NO MAN could understand him:" but these men gathered around and UNDERSTOOD THEM...

So what did these foreigners hear these disciples saying? They were preaching of the wonderful works of God,, which was the death burial and ressurection of Jesus Christ,.,,, they were testifying of these works supernaturally in other languages.. there was no one shouting and screaminga and rolling in the floors......

finally when they couldn't figure out how these diciples had gained this ability to break the language barrier. they attribute this to some kind of new wine and then Peter.... stood to deliver the theology of the situation as he told them of Joels prophecy and once they understood they came to know Christ....

Is this not the correct understanding of Acts 2?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Supreme Queen Here

Re: What really happened at Pentecost?

Hey!

What, sir, did you do before posting on AFF?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Typical response.... a scriptural response would have been appreciated
Old 05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vaughn View Post
Option #1 - An ole time, Holy Ghost campmeeting with shouting & Speaking in Tongues,, Praising God and having a good ole time

Option #2 - The most effective missionary outreach in the history of the church

I choose #2 and here is why...

Not one time are we told anyone was Praise God on this day.. there is nothing about Magnifying God or any sign whatsoever that this was a church service...

Here's what I see..... of course you will tell me where I'm wrong..
(Doc...this is the only thing I'm going to post on this thread... here goes):

Acts 2:11 ...Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Most people would call that "praise", and "magnifying God".
Peace.
By the way, Doc... do you have a hobby?

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Supreme Queen Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vaughn View Post
Typical response.... a scriptural response would have been appreciated
Would it have helped if I said, "yea, I say unto thee" before my question?

Have a little fun sonny!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Over 500 believers saw Jesus after His resurrection. (1 Cor 15:6)

About 120 of these (approximately one fourth of the infant church) were in Jerusalem "continually in the temple praising and blessing God" (Luke 24:52-53)

They (we assume the 120 but some think it refers to the 12 apostles only) were all in one accord and in one place when the wind and fire came and they began to speak with other tongues. About 15 languages are mentioned that were understood by different people.

Peter stood up and preached a message in a commonly understood language.

When the Holy Spirit convicted people, they asked what they should do. Peter told them to repent or turn from the sin of rejecting Jesus as Messiah, to wash in the mikveh baths in the temple because their sins were forgiven, and told them that they too could receive the promise of the Father which they had seen and heard.

We are told that about 3000 Jews received the Word (Jesus) and were immersed. We don't read about how many, if any, received the Holy Ghost baptism.

Some folks (called Dispensationalists) believe that the 120 were not really saved until that day and that this was the beginning of the New Testament Church.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
(Doc...this is the only thing I'm going to post on this thread... here goes):

Acts 2:11 ...Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Most people would call that "praise", and "magnifying God".
Peace.
By the way, Doc... do you have a hobby?
Wait a minute.... for you and I to SPEAK about Jesus who is the Wonderful work of God.... is not PRAISING.. we are speaking we are testifying
Old 05-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Forever Loved Admin

He's stuck in the hospital with a sick wife. We are praying she is healed soon. But actually DV didn't start the debate about Mr. Barnham or whatever his name is. There was a thread started before he got here. Which makes me think, this seems to happen a lot on AFF speak of someone and either they or their minions, followers, or whatever you want to call them seem to just show up.........and the rest is this outcome.
Since people won't ignore him, he will not go away.
It's giving me a headache.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV

Last edited by Cindy; 05-29-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Over 500 believers saw Jesus after His resurrection. (1 Cor 15:6)

About 120 of these (approximately one fourth of the infant church) were in Jerusalem "continually in the temple praising and blessing God" (Luke 24:52-53)

They (we assume the 120 but some think it refers to the 12 apostles only) were all in one accord and in one place when the wind and fire came and they began to speak with other tongues. About 15 languages are mentioned that were understood by different people.

Peter stood up and preached a message in a commonly understood language.

When the Holy Spirit convicted people, they asked what they should do. Peter told them to repent or turn from the sin of rejecting Jesus as Messiah, to wash in the mikveh baths in the temple because their sins were forgiven, and told them that they too could receive the promise of the Father which they had seen and heard.

We are told that about 3000 Jews received the Word (Jesus) and were immersed. We don't read about how many, if any, received the Holy Ghost baptism.

Some folks (called Dispensationalists) believe that the 120 were not really saved until that day and that this was the beginning of the New Testament Church.
Bro. Sam if they obeyed Peter that had to receive the Holy Ghost because he told them if they repented and were baptized that the WOULD without a doubt receive the Holy Ghost.... so how do we say "we don't know" if they did.. they must have it was promised to them upon their obedience
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
He's stuck in the hospital with a sick wife. We are praying she is healed soon. But actually DV didn't start the debate about Mr. Barnham or whatever his name is. There was a thread started before he got here. Which makes me think, this seems to happen a lot on AFF speak of someone and either they or their minions, followers, or whatever you want to call them seem to just show up.........and the rest is this outcome.
Since people won't ignore him, he will not go away.
It's giving me a headache.
Maam if you desire me to go away.. I can.. i thought this was an open discussion forum,, I didnt know you had to think like everyone else to be welcome here