Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
DOING THE FIRST WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
To my knowledge Bro. Magee never renounced his stand on the Godhead however he was Kidson's son in law and Kidson's compromise with the message affected him and the church he pastored. The last I heard a Trinity man was pastoring Elim.
That is correct. He never renounced the Oneness doctrine that he so famously defended.

In fact, the Elim Tabernacle in Houston that he Pastored for many years until his retirement is still Oneness, though as Charismatic as a church can get.

I only met the man once. I was very impressed with his tremendous wit, sense of humor and his command of the Word. HIs nine hour debate with Mr. Toddy in Indianapolis with Nathan Urshan moderating is an all-time classic. If anyone is weak on the Oneness doctrine, a listen to that debate will firm up their faith in the truth.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Steve

The last I heard a Trinity man was pastoring Elim.
Quote:
Apprehended

In fact, the Elim Tabernacle in Houston that he Pastored for many years until his retirement is still Oneness, though as Charismatic as a church can get.
??????????
Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Re: Did Gordon Magee deny Oneness?

I am a member of the Church of God in Ireland. Pastor Magee was one of our pastors and was instrumental in the churches converting from trinitarianism to oneness. The churches are still oneness to this day. I contacted his niece who now lives in the US. She told me that Gordon Magee certainly did not deny the Oneness doctrine and was horrified to find that anyone might be suggesting it. That settled the issue for me, although I would have been surprised if he truly had denied the doctrine.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Loving God, His Word, His Name

A lie travels around the world faster than truth can get it's boots on.

Apostolic Defender Ministries
The Apostolic Defender Podcast on Spotify
Old 01-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

A few years ago, a friend sent me a video of Bro. Magee preaching a message at
J.V. Foster's church in San Antonio, Tx. I believe the title was "The Glorious Gospel
of Jesus Christ". It didn't sound like Bro. Magee had denied the Oneness. He had been
very ill, and Bro. Foster had gone and picked he and his wife up from San Marcos, where
they lived. He was very weak and had to be helped to the pulpit. But when the anointing
came, he preached with such passion. Certainly didn't sound like he had denied the Truth
I heard he died about a month later. I believe he had several heart attacks over a period
of time. Later I contacted his wife in San Marcos and spoke with her. I remember hearing
Bro. W.E. Kidson as a child, in Sherman, Texas. I remember the name of a man associ-
ated with Bro. Kidson, named Eugene Garrett. I am 71 and some names come out of my
memory bank, from time to time.

Falla39
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterman View Post
I am a member of the Church of God in Ireland. Pastor Magee was one of our pastors and was instrumental in the churches converting from trinitarianism to oneness. The churches are still oneness to this day. I contacted his niece who now lives in the US. She told me that Gordon Magee certainly did not deny the Oneness doctrine and was horrified to find that anyone might be suggesting it. That settled the issue for me, although I would have been surprised if he truly had denied the doctrine.
Hi Brother, Glad to see you weighing in and giving a sure word on this.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Administrator

I remember that either in the 1980's or early 1990's an Irish preacher who had pastored in Maine used to come preach at the World of Pentecost in Austin, Texas when he would come to visit Gordon McGee in San Marcos (about 30 miles away). I really enjoyed his ministry but can't think of his name. I think his first name was Bob perhaps but can't think of his last name.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I remember that either in the 1980's or early 1990's an Irish preacher who had pastored in Maine used to come preach at the World of Pentecost in Austin, Texas when he would come to visit Gordon McGee in San Marcos (about 30 miles away). I really enjoyed his ministry but can't think of his name. I think his first name was Bob perhaps but can't think of his last name.
Bob Gass, my mother had a lot of his tapes.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.