Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Men from the CAF are going to be doing reporting like MOW reported at Columbus I think? I will report some probably not every post.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann View Post
I stand to be corrected, but I was not aware that Shady Grove UPC was no longer in Section 7, where a very dear and close friend of mine LB IS the presbyter.
Jann, i believe there are 2 Shady Groves in Louisiana. (I could be wrong)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann View Post
I stand to be corrected, but I was not aware that Shady Grove UPC was no longer in Section 7, where a very dear and close friend of mine LB IS the presbyter.
Shady Grove (DeRidder) was pastored for many years by Wilbern Ashworth, the longtime presbyter of Section 6.

I'm frankly surprised that Phillips had the stroke to pull the church out.

Shady Grove (Jena) was pastored in the past by Louis Green and Jim Vanover. Dan Davis pastored there before he went to Baton Rouge. C. D. Thornton came out of retirement and pastors there now.

The Jena church is in Section 7, where Leland Briggs is now presbyter after G. A. Mangun retired from the district board after being on it some 150 years or so.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

I would really like to know if the Crawford Coon info is correct...and how it would work...for the Pastor to be Non-UPC but the church to be UPC????

Unless they were planning on him leaving???

It doesn't make much sense to me...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I would really like to know if the Crawford Coon info is correct...and how it would work...for the Pastor to be Non-UPC but the church to be UPC????

Sounds like they are letting him know they are willing to lose him as their pastor.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Isn't it true if a church is affiliated with the UPCI that the pastor must be licensed with them?

Also, if a presbyter pulls his church out, should he be allowed to represent the UPC on a district level?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

A pastor in Arkansas wanted to leave UPC and told them about the TV issue and how he wanted to leave but had his church vote their feelings on secret ballot. They voted against leaving. He was disappointed but he is now staying.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister_WD View Post
Brother Phillips (pastor in shady grove and a district presbyter in Louisiana) has pulled his church out of the org. He is very conservitive and I suspect this is an indication he is OUT.

2. Wayne Cardwell from DeQuincy has been told by his church that he can leave the UPCI but the CHURCH ISNT....

AND .....

3. ANOTHER CHURCH has told their Pastor that he can leave but THE CHURCH IS STAYING! And that man is CRAWFORD COON!

Interesting.

If true, NOW we'll see how loudly money talks and how much conviction some of these preachers REALLY have.

Will Cardwell and Coon say: "I must stand behind my convictions and I'll go start another church somewhere - or at least try to split off and pastor the split"?

Or, when they think of the tithes and income left behind will they say: "Uh ... maybe I don't need to leave the UPC after all."

This would be devastating politically to any preachers in this trap where their churches are rising up.

Looking back, a lot of these "standards" and preachers vying to see who could preach it more "hard" and "straight" was the result of peer pressure and who could brag the most out under the campmeeting concession stand or the conference halls.

To be seen as too weak to overcome a "carnal" church board and pull a church out and join the rest of the Tulsa gang?

Wow.

THAT would be emasculating.

Anyway, kudos to these churches for being aware and standing up to what really, just amounts to foolishness.

I know both Cardwell and Coon well.

Cardwell's dad, Thomas C., was the longtime pastor of that church, a member of the Louisiana District Board for many years and as fine a man as you'd ever want to meet.

I liked Wayne. He preached for me and we played softball together at youth camp.

Wayne's dad seemed more moderate but Wayne seemed to be more influenced by his more radical brother-in-law, Steve McMullen.

The reports I'm hearing from some sources in DeQuincy, where I have many friends and now-by-divorce ex-family members, is that First UPC is losing quite a few members to Hennigan's.

Coon?

I'm surprised he was involved with this Tulsa thing anyway.

Once again .... if this is true, then kudos to these church boards for recognizing foolishness for what it is.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
A pastor in Arkansas wanted to leave UPC and told them about the TV issue and how he wanted to leave but had his church vote their feelings on secret ballot. They voted against leaving. He was disappointed but he is now staying.
I believe that's the correct way to handle it. I started a thread a couple days ago regarding a pastor that in just the past few weeks has been changing all the "rules" and he's going to Tulsa. The church is confused and his stance is if you don't like it you can leave.

They've been there a lot longer than him, so why is it his decision?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post

Perhaps the church is not officially affiliated and the members are just expressing that they wish to continue to be considered UPC and participate in UPC functions, etc. even if their pastor leaves. If they are affiliated then by rule a non UPC pastor cannot pastor.