Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 PM
Come along Pond

Why didn't Moses enforce circumcision?

This has always puzzled me, and the Bible itself offers no real explanation that I've found. Why didn't Moses enforce circumcision during the 40 years of wandering?

We know he was aware of the covenant. God sought to kill him because he didn't circumcise his own sons. So you would think that he knew the importance of the act.

He established the law in Israel, yet he did not require them to stay in covenant?

does anyone have any insight as to why?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC daddy View Post
This has always puzzled me, and the Bible itself offers no real explanation that I've found. Why didn't Moses enforce circumcision during the 40 years of wandering?

We know he was aware of the covenant. God sought to kill him because he didn't circumcise his own sons. So you would think that he knew the importance of the act.

He established the law in Israel, yet he did not require them to stay in covenant?

does anyone have any insight as to why?
He wasn't allowed to.

we read the children had to bear the guilt of their doubting parents. this meant they were uncircumcised after they were born. . they couldn't take part in passover as a result. it wasn't until the parents were dead that they were circumcised and for the first time had passover since leaving Egypt upon entrance into Canaan.

will get more info later.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 05-23-2016, 10:05 PM
Come along Pond

Re: Why didn't Moses enforce circumcision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
He wasn't allowed to.

we read the children had to bear the guilt of their doubting parents. this meant they were uncircumcised after they were born. . they couldn't take part in passover as a result. it wasn't until the parents were dead that they were circumcised and for the first time had passover since leaving Egypt upon entrance into Canaan.

will get more info later.
Interesting. God did tell them - after they crossed the Jordan - that he would roll away the reproach of Egypt.

For 40 years they carried the shame, insecurity, fear, and critical spirit that centuries of slavery in Egypt placed on them as a people. They walked out of covenant with God.

Then they crossed the Jordan and God removed the reproach. They circumcised themselves a second time, re-establishing the covenant. They celebrated the passover and finally ate the produce of their promised land.

What an incredible story of redemption
Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

we read the reason here

Joshua 5: 9 And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.

the reproach of Egypt. the adults who doubted caused God to pause his covenant with the nation. the sons had to bear that by not being circumcised.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 05-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC daddy View Post

Interesting. God did tell them - after they crossed the Jordan - that he would roll away the reproach of Egypt.

For 40 years they carried the shame, insecurity, fear, and critical spirit that centuries of slavery in Egypt placed on them as a people. They walked out of covenant with God.

Then they crossed the Jordan and God removed the reproach. They circumcised themselves a second time, re-establishing the covenant. They celebrated the passover and finally ate the produce of their promised land.

What an incredible story of redemption
Amen!

Old 05-24-2016, 12:11 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

The Jews and many Christian commentators say they did not circumcise their children in the wilderness because of their constant travelling. When they camped they never knew for how long, since whenever the cloudy pillar up and moved, they had to up and move also.

Others maintain as brother Blume said, that God held off on requiring circumcision, or actively forbad it, because of the Israelites' rebellions in the wilderness.

I have my doubts about that (the ones refused circumcision were nevertheless the ones who entered Canaan!) but regardless of the reason (the Bible doesn't actually specify it), the fact is their condition of being uncircumcised is 'the reproach of Egypt'. Failure to be circumcised identified them as heathens, under a reproach (in the sight of God). Them being circumcised under the command of Joshua (IESOUS in the Greek) rolled away that reproach, it removed the mark of worldliness from them, identifying them as covenanted with God.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ.: Baptized in the NAME of the Lord Jesus in 1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
The Jews and many Christian commentators say they did not circumcise their children in the wilderness because of their constant travelling. When they camped they never knew for how long, since whenever the cloudy pillar up and moved, they had to up and move also.
Others maintain as brother Blume said, that God held off on requiring circumcision, or actively forbad it, because of the Israelites' rebellions in the wilderness.
I have my doubts about that (the ones refused circumcision were nevertheless the ones who entered Canaan!) but regardless of the reason (the Bible doesn't actually specify it), the fact is their condition of being uncircumcised is 'the reproach of Egypt'. Failure to be circumcised identified them as heathens, under a reproach (in the sight of God). Them being circumcised under the command of Joshua (IESOUS in the Greek) rolled away that reproach, it removed the mark of worldliness from them, identifying them as covenanted with God.
That's very good.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

What puzzles me more is why people get it done today.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
Physically speaking it is far more hygienic. But there is no spiritual requirement.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:17 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
Prevents cancer.