Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > WPF News
Facebook

Notices

WPF News Discussion of the WWPF meetings in Tulsa and related sidetracks.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Psalm 121

A Really Good UPCI Letter...from MO DS

January 8, 2008

To all of the Ministers of the Missouri District,

…….

I desire to include some comments in this letter concerning the upcoming meeting in Tulsa. This meeting is being promoted as a preferred alternative to the UPC. It is very clear that the men who have created this forum intend to start a new organization (although we're not sure who preferred them as their leaders, having conducted no elections that I'm aware of to this point). If these men still hold their UPC credentials, then this meeting is ministerially unethical. The Oklahoma District was not contacted or informed about this meeting. What pastor among us or them would approve members of his congregation seeking out a preferred leadership for their families while still in fellowship with that church?Let's be honest, brethren: this is an anti-UPC meeting. The Tampa General Conference did not initiate this meeting. This attitude has been brewing for quite some time. We have history to know what will come of this new organization if it ever gets off the ground. The creation of this group is not about vision, passion for the lost, or reaching the world more effectively. (Do we become more effective by becoming smaller?) Because its impetus is of a negative bent, it will attract discontentment that will chronically focus on what's wrong with the mother organization. What kind of an organization would we have if every time the majority voted in favor of something, those who didn't like the results left? If we appeal to the manual, how about starting with "We shall not contend for our individual beliefs to the disunity of the body"?
Some are curious about going to Tulsa, others may think it profitable for entertainment purposes, while yet others are sincerely interested in what Tulsa has to offer. I am respectfully requesting that none of our Missouri District ministers attend this meeting. If you decide to go, please be advised that your presence there will only lend credibility to their agenda and possibly insert confusion into your own spirit. Some who are leading this meeting have well-earned reputations for not finishing what they start, proselytizing, and wanting to be the kingpin of something. Some of the names printed on promotional materials for "Tampa" have been used without consent (another ploy previously used by some of the preferred leaders).

I do not want any licensed minister to feel that he has no choice but to leave the UPC. If you know someone who feels disenfranchised, please reach out to them. These are the greatest days for the kingdom of God. How sad it would be to miss the greatest revival the world has ever known because of discontentment through association. If we're going to fully reap the promised harvest, then it will take all of us and more to bring it in. Brethren, we are fighting a "scattering spirit" within our local congregations in this end time. Let us not feed this spirit on a national level and may we not contribute to the enemy’s agenda by sowing discord among the brethren. My prayer for our fellowship is that "we ... endeavor to keep the unity of the Spirit until we all come into the unity of the faith ..." (W. T. Witherspoon).

If you have any questions, please feel free to call me. I stand ready to help or encourage any men of God who are sincerely seeking God's will for their ministry or the congregation they are leading.

Respectfully submitted,

Stan Gleason
Missouri District Superintendent
13 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. Galatians 5:13-15 (NIV)
Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM
My Family!

Very good letter!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Da Evangelist

That is a very good letter.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

If we appeal to the manual, how about starting with "We shall not contend for our individual beliefs to the disunity of the body"?

The "body" was anit-tv for years....somebody contended for their individual beliefs to ever even get r4 to the floor
Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Da Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAPE View Post
If we appeal to the manual, how about starting with "We shall not contend for our individual beliefs to the disunity of the body"?

The "body" was anit-tv for years....somebody contended for their individual beliefs to ever even get r4 to the floor

No so, people are allowed to write resolutions and have them presented. It is up to the body of voters to either vote for it or against it. Resolution 4 was presented and the body voted. ONE person can't get it done alone. Since it passed I would say that it was the desire of the majority present.

I understand that there were people who were unable to attend that would have been another vote against it. Maybe in the future there will be a way to set up voting via the internet. Then maybe a greater voice of both sides will be heard but the passing of res 4 was not someone contending for disunity. The majority spoke and now some are not happy with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Psalm 121

Quote:

I believe it was 1975 when the prohibtion against tv advert. and preaching was instituted. Res. 4 just undid a previously disunifying res.
13 You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. 14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. Galatians 5:13-15 (NIV)
Old 01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:

you lost the ablilty to make that argument in 1992.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Your logic in this statement would then lead to the conclusion that no resolution could ever be brought before the "body" for a vote ..... JMHO -
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
My Family!

Quote:

Tulsa is NOT about TV.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Psalm 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you lost the ablilty to make that argument in 1992.
I agree.