Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Prayer Meetings

When I was in the UPCI when we prayed in church services or prayer meetings typically everyone prayed simultaneously. If you've been there you know what I mean. Every where else I've been people pray one at a time which seems awkward to me. At a prayer meeting they will take turns praying one at a time while everyone else listens quietly.

What do you all think about this?

Is there a right or wrong way here?

What is your preference?

Is praying simultaneously a oneness or apostolic thing?
Old 12-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: Prayer Meetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrum View Post
When I was in the UPCI when we prayed in church services or prayer meetings typically everyone prayed simultaneously. If you've been there you know what I mean. Every where else I've been people pray one at a time which seems awkward to me. At a prayer meeting they will take turns praying one at a time while everyone else listens quietly.

What is your preference?

I've been in churches that practice both.

My A/G church has pre-service prayer on Wed nights and it is simultaneous.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:22 PM
of 9!! :)

All prayer meetings I've ever been part of
were done together.

I think that sounds awkward too, to do
group prayer meetings and have one person
pray at a time. Probably takes alot longer
too!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

I think either "format" is OK but if the group is too large, it is ideal to pray simultaneously. I am more used to simultaneous praying but I have prayed with some Trinitarian friends who practice the one-at-a-time format (small group of 4 people) and it was OK. A little awkward at first but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:59 PM
On the road less traveled

I too agree that praying out loud in a prayer meeting where everyone is quiet and listening to your prayer is rather awkward. I prefer simultaneous prayer meetings, but have been to some horrible ones where one person screams, cries, and basically is so loud that no one else can do their own praying. That can be a problem too.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrum View Post

What is your preference?

The one at a time thing has been the standard format since the 1700s if not longer, especially among Reformed, Baptist, Congregationalist, and current United Methodists. The old school methodists often did like Pentecostals do (all together).

Both have been used in revivals of historic proportions. Both seem to be impotent these days in bringing real revival. So my conclusion is the format is not as important as the authenticity of the heart.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

The Apostolic Church Im trying to go to did it like this the other day. Everyone places a prayer request before the group. It takes 10-15 minutes. Then everyone prays together for about 5 minutes.

Thats the way Ive seen it to many times. One Church I attended years ago took quite a while to take the requests. When we finally went to the altar to pray I had barely got comfortable on my knees and they were already done! I kid you not!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Banned

I enjoy prayer meetings so much. I like 'em all loud and I like them quiet. I just like prayer meetings in general.

Has anyone explored the dimensions of silence? I discovered this with some of my Quaker friends. In Quaker meetings everyone sits silently. The mind is quieted and focused upon Christ and hearing impressions from the Spirit. I'd never had believed this prior to experiencing it myself, but there are levels to silent prayer, meditation, and contemplation. There are moments when images fill the mind, or words seem to be impressed upon the heart. When your mind wonders it just feels like your mind is wondering, like it did for most of us back in school. However, when the words of admonition or encouragement begin to become impressed upon your heart by the Spirit... you feel shaky. You feel flushed. Sometimes it's like you're on the edge of breaking into a cold sweat. Sometimes you feel impressed to stand and share the words. When you stand up and share the words, sometimes the feeling releases. The group normally remains silent to contemplate or weigh what was said. It's powerful because you've communicated to the group what God impressed upon your heart. Sometimes the word corresponds to an issue being prayed about or an issue being faced by someone in the silence. God is good.

They have no pastors, priests, or elders. And this is the standard make up of a service. Anyone can speak as they are led of the Spirit. Most don't speak more than twice in a meeting if they do speak. This is the entire service. Silence, listening, receiving impressions upon the heart, speaking what one hears if to be shared with the group. Weigh what was said. This takes place for about an hour or so. Then suddenly someone turns to shake hands with a neighbor they are sitting next to. Then everyone begins to shake hands, whispers begin, voices rise... and the meeting is over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10387618_10205640211273180_9100532102340805033_n.jpg (22.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Aquila; 12-19-2014 at 07:16 AM.