Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-25-2024, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

KJV 1 Corinthians 6:1-6 Comparison

1Corinthians 6:1-6 KJV

I find the passage below interesting. I was focused on verse 4 in a discussion during a mixed denomination Bible study this morning. One of the men mentioned that his version of the Bible did not mention the “least esteemed” phrase. We compared our various versions of the Bible and three (including my King James Version) seemed to be in agreement as to the interpretation. One seemed to say just the opposite. I ran it through Bible hub and was surprised to discover that several seemed to conflict with the KJV as to its meaning. They typically posed a question instead of making a statement as is done in the KJV. Which in itself is a type of opposite. I have read commentary, which seems to be conflicting as well. So I thought I would throw it into the AFF thresher and see what the consensus is. Both to the fact of different versions seeming to have opposing interpretations, and the interesting literal meaning of the KJV being a practice that is not necessarily followed in our modern church models.

The KJV is my favorite version of the Bible. Having said that, I’m not really a KJV only type of person. But this has happened before where the KJV and other versions seem to conflict to the point of being pretty much opposite in meaning.

What do yall think?

1Cor.6

[1] Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
[2] Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
[3] Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
[4] If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
[5] I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?
[6] But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:50 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: KJV 1 Corinthians 6:1-6 Comparison

I think the nlt says it well

6:1When one of you has a dispute with another believer, how dare you file a lawsuit and ask a secular court to decide the matter instead of taking it to other believers!
2 Don’t you realize that someday we believers will judge the world? And since you are going to judge the world, can’t you decide even these little things among yourselves?
3 Don’t you realize that we will judge angels? So you should surely be able to resolve ordinary disputes in this life.
4 If you have legal disputes about such matters, why go to outside judges who are not respected by the church?
5 I am saying this to shame you. Isn’t there anyone in all the church who is wise enough to decide these issues?
6 But instead, one believer sues another—right in front of unbelievers!

Last edited by Amanah; 04-26-2024 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I think the nlt says it well

6:1When one of you has a dispute with another believer, how dare you file a lawsuit and ask a secular court to decide the matter instead of taking it to other believers!
2 Don’t you realize that someday we believers will judge the world? And since you are going to judge the world, can’t you decide even these little things among yourselves?
3 Don’t you realize that we will judge angels? So you should surely be able to resolve ordinary disputes in this life.
4 If you have legal disputes about such matters, why go to outside judges who are not respected by the church?
5 I am saying this to shame you. Isn’t there anyone in all the church who is wise enough to decide these issues?
6 But instead, one believer sues another—right in front of unbelievers!
You have posted a good example of my concerns with this passage. In your example, verse 4 is a question, whereas in the KJV it is a statement. Also in your post, the phrase “least esteemed” is missing and seems to refer to people outside of the church family. Both seem to be opposite of the literal meaning of the KJV version. In the KJV the quote is “ set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church”.

IN THE CHURCH

Thanks for your response.

Also, you quoted from the nit?

Is that a typo?

Could you elaborate? I’m uninformed.

Thanks sister.

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 04-26-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:12 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
You have posted a good example of my concerns with this passage. In your example, verse 4 is a question, whereas in the KJV it is a statement. Also in your post, the phrase “least esteemed” is missing and seems to refer to people outside of the church family. Both seem to be opposite of the literal meaning of the KJV version. In the KJV the quote is “ set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church”.

IN THE CHURCH

Thanks for your response.

Also, you quoted from the nit?

Is that a typo?

Could you elaborate? I’m uninformed.

Thanks sister.
These are the translations I refer to/compare:
King James Version
Eastern Standard Version
New Living Translation

*The first two are more literal word for word translations
*The last is a dynamic thought for thought translation
*The KJV isn't always the best translation

Last edited by Amanah; 04-26-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:08 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Here is the ESV

6 When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? 2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! 4 So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who have no standing in the church?
Old 04-26-2024, 12:14 PM
Covenant Apostolic

RSV
1Co 6:4 - If then you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who are least esteemed by the church?
Old 04-26-2024, 12:20 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Notes from ESV study bible

1 CORINTHIANS—NOTE ON 6:1 a grievance against another. Although some have argued that Paul is prohibiting Christians from ever going to court against another Christian, Paul seems in these verses only to be addressing disputes related to property or money (cf. “Why not rather be defrauded?” v. 7), rather than criminal cases, which fall under the jurisdiction of the state. (See Rom. 13:1–5 where Paul shows that God has established civil government for the protection and good of all people.) It is doubtful, therefore, that Paul’s intention is that this specific example should be applied in every situation, since not every situation today matches the circumstances of this specific case in Corinth, where the two parties are in the same local church (“among you,” 1 Cor. 6:5), and where the dispute is specifically related to property or money (“Why not be defrauded?” v. 7). Whatever the circumstances, it is clear from Scripture that disputes between believers need to be handled with the utmost care (vv. 1–8): in a wise and godly manner before the watching world; wherever possible under the disciplinary authority of the church; and with the counsel of spiritually mature Christians who have no stake in the matter and who can give objective, biblical advice. (See further Matt. 18:15–20 regarding the steps that Christians need to take when one believer sins against another believer, and the authoritative role of the church in such cases.) the unrighteous. ****Paul probably is referring to magistrates who are both unbelievers (1 Cor. 6:4, 6) and who are at times unjust in their judgments.****
Old 04-26-2024, 12:27 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Also, don't forget that punctuation was added by the translators.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Also, don't forget that punctuation was added by the translators.
I understand that the KJV may not be the best translation. I do believe that it is the best translation for me because I am more familiar with it and I sometimes use word searches to bring up specific passages and the words are often different in other versions. So it works for me. I am certainly not KJV only.

There are two facets to this passage that concern me. For now I will focus on the different versions. It’s not that there is punctuation added or not. It is that the New Living Version and the King James Version say different things. Aaaand those different things are opposite.

New Living Translation
If you have legal disputes about such matters, why go to outside judges who are not respected by the church?

This version asks a question. And it asks why go to judges outside of the church.

King James Bible
If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

In the King James Version, it is a statement that is a directive. We are instructed to set them to judge who are least esteemed “in the church”. In the New Living Translation it speaks of “outside judges” which means they are outside of the church.

In the KJV it is referring to the “least esteemed” in the church. In the New Living Translation the outside judges that are not part of the church and therefore not esteemed by the church. It really is not the same message. It is opposing doctrines. And the different versions fall into one of these two camps. These two camps are saying drastically different things.

The other issue is that since they are saying different things that oppose the other, one of them has to be wrong. And this is Paul’s instruction to the church on how to deal with “matters of this life”.

So which is it?

One thing is consistent. Matters of this life should be judged by fellow Christians. So should it be those in the church who are “least esteemed”?
Or should these matters be judged by they in the church who are highly regarded. The different versions say different things.

It is pretty complicated. But thanks for your perspective.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:16 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Bro TM.

The KJV is an awesome and majestic translation.
Sometimes I'm not sure I understand it and find comparing translations helps me.