Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Costeon Costeon is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 712
The "Binitarian" Jesus

According to Trinitarianism, there is one Being, God, and this Being exists as three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. These Persons, though united in being, are nevertheless distinct, each recognizing and interacting with the other two.

As I was contrasting Trinitarianism and Oneness and then began thinking about the different christological views of each, it struck me that a standard explanation of the Oneness view of Jesus is open to the charge of being, in effect, a form of "binitarianism."

David Bernard states that "the Father had united with humanity to form one being--Jesus Christ, the Godhead incarnate" (The Oneness View of Jesus Christ, 21). Bernard expresses it elsewhere that Jesus is one person who has two natures, divinity and humanity.

So we have one Being, Jesus Christ, who consists of two natures, divinity and humanity. But though it is standard practice to describe Jesus this way, what do we see on just about every page of the Gospels? We see these "natures" actually interacting as individuals or persons, Father and Son. How is this view not "binitarian"? That is, there is One Being--Jesus Christ--and this Being exists as two Persons, Father and Son, who interact with one another in personal relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-28-2020, 02:40 PM
Michael The Disciple's Avatar
Michael The Disciple Michael The Disciple is online now
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 14,309
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
According to Trinitarianism, there is one Being, God, and this Being exists as three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. These Persons, though united in being, are nevertheless distinct, each recognizing and interacting with the other two.

As I was contrasting Trinitarianism and Oneness and then began thinking about the different christological views of each, it struck me that a standard explanation of the Oneness view of Jesus is open to the charge of being, in effect, a form of "binitarianism."

David Bernard states that "the Father had united with humanity to form one being--Jesus Christ, the Godhead incarnate" (The Oneness View of Jesus Christ, 21). Bernard expresses it elsewhere that Jesus is one person who has two natures, divinity and humanity.

So we have one Being, Jesus Christ, who consists of two natures, divinity and humanity. But though it is standard practice to describe Jesus this way, what do we see on just about every page of the Gospels? We see these "natures" actually interacting as individuals or persons, Father and Son. How is this view not "binitarian"? That is, there is One Being--Jesus Christ--and this Being exists as two Persons, Father and Son, who interact with one another in personal relationship.
As I understand it Binitarian is the belief that are are TWO GOD PERSONS. This was taught by the Worldwide Church Of God. They believe the 2 persons had love and interaction.

That is different than saying there are two persons or natures God and man who are loving and reacting to each other.

Rather than 2 God persons there is one God and one man as in 1 Tim. 2:5.

Thats the beauty of modalism. In one mode of being Jesus is YAH. Simultaneously in another mode of being he is a man.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-28-2020, 03:05 PM
Esaias's Avatar
Esaias Esaias is offline
Master ThreadKiller


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zion aka TEXAS
Posts: 23,364
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

It's not binitarian. Binitarianism is the belief in two divine persons in the godhead (binitarianism was a brief stop on the way to trinitarianism in the antenicene world).

Bernard's explanation of Christology is weak, in my opinion. Drysdale's is quite Nestorian, others have offered explanations that range the gamut of all known Christologies familiar to trinitarians.

I believe it is a mystery, as Paul referred to it as a mystery. Indeed, a "great" mystery without any controversy. That is, there is no controversy about the fact that the Incarnation is indeed a great mystery.

There are some things we can be certain of:

God was manifest in flesh.
Christ is the son of God.
Christ is a genuine human being.
Christ is Jehovah Who created everything.
God is ONE, not two or three.

Getting into the mechanics of the incarnation is fraught with difficulty, because the explanations we seek to provide are often simply not given in Scripture. So we are prone to errors in our choices of terms and in our presentations and explanations.

Honestly, the BEST explanation I have read is by Servetus in his On The Errors Of The Trinity. It is not perfect, but it is the best I have read so far.
__________________
Visit the Apostolic House Church YouTube Channel!


Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-28-2020, 05:01 PM
Costeon Costeon is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 712
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

Just a quick reply, and then I'll try to respond more fully later. I wasn't quite sure what word to use, so I put "binitarian" in quotes because I was not meaning precisely what the Church of God has taught about two divine persons. I was focusing on the fact that we have two individuals, Father and Son, who are in personal relationship, yet both, according to Bernard et al, are united in one Being--Jesus Christ. So One being composed of two, Father and Son.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-28-2020, 07:13 PM
Michael The Disciple's Avatar
Michael The Disciple Michael The Disciple is online now
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 14,309
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
Just a quick reply, and then I'll try to respond more fully later. I wasn't quite sure what word to use, so I put "binitarian" in quotes because I was not meaning precisely what the Church of God has taught about two divine persons. I was focusing on the fact that we have two individuals, Father and Son, who are in personal relationship, yet both, according to Bernard et al, are united in one Being--Jesus Christ. So One being composed of two, Father and Son.
Bernards view seems to make Jesus a Godman. I'll stick with modalism.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-28-2020, 11:12 PM
Scott Pitta's Avatar
Scott Pitta Scott Pitta is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wisconsin Dells
Posts: 2,695
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2020, 05:06 AM
diakonos's Avatar
diakonos diakonos is offline
Devil’s Den


 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Posts: 2,170
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world.
“God didn’t send his son, he sent himself.”
-my first pastor
__________________

“Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos.”
-Homer Simpson

Joe Biden- banning super predators from fracking.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2020, 06:17 AM
Tithesmeister Tithesmeister is online now
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,117
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
“God didn’t send his son, he sent himself.”
-my first pastor
1John.4

[10] Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-2020, 06:28 AM
1 God 1 God is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 312
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
“God didn’t send his son, he sent himself.”
-my first pastor
That's like saying the son(Father) impregnated Mary.(conceived himself)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2020, 06:52 AM
Scott Pitta's Avatar
Scott Pitta Scott Pitta is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Wisconsin Dells
Posts: 2,695
Re: The "Binitarian" Jesus

And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did Jesus "need" Judas? Did Judas "betray" Jesus? SDG The D.A.'s Office 29 06-14-2008 06:48 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Jito463

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.