Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Re: Practical Bible Doctrine thread

If any man will not work, neither shall he eat.

I've pondered this and think it might go two ways:

1.) Regarding secular work. If a man won't get off his butt and get a job and bring home the bacon, he's going to go hungry. And too bad for him, the church shouldn't help him.

2.) Regarding sacred work of the Lord. If a man won't get off his butt and serve in the Kingdom and the Church, he shouldn't be allowed to partake of the Lord's Supper.

Not sure which is the more accurate. Perhaps it's both?

Either way, the application is easy: go out, look for, and take any job offer you can, provided no sinfulness is attached, and work as unto the Lord, watch Jesus bless you, promote you, and make other, better opportunities for you in your future.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 09-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

If in a doctrinal debate (including this forum) I feel I can't teach/respond with patience, then it is time for me to stop talking or leave 2 Tim 2:24-25
Old 09-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
If in a doctrinal debate (including this forum) I feel I can't teach/respond with patience, then it is time for me to stop talking or leave 2 Tim 2:24-25
Good point.

reminds me..

I heard older saints talk about the good old days and all kinds of experiences, but none seemed to ever focus on getting victory over the flesh. One older brother told me of his day decades ago seeing miracles and praying for power of God, but said he had a temper he never got victory over. He would fire off at someone with his tongue, but was always willing to apologize. Some of these most vital teachings were never delved into by so many. Sad.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."

Last edited by mfblume; 09-18-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Are you kidding?
Yes, twas a joke
Old 09-26-2019, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Let all who name the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Calling on Jesus and living in sin don't gel.

So, here is some practical application:

Go, and sin no more.

How?

Get your carcass to your prayer closet, fast more than you want to, for longer than you want to, and let the Spirit intercede with and for you until you get that iniquity out of your heart.

Collect all the sinful garbage in your house, in whatever form it takes, and pile it into your trash or burn pit. Delete phone numbers and other contact info of any enticing sinners who are on a mission to help you fall.

Surround yourself with God-fearing, sin-hating brothers and sisters and spend as much time with them as possible.

The fear of the LORD is to hate evil.

I recommend everyone take time in their walk with God, to sincerely ask the LORD God to renew in them His fear. Ask Him to allow His terror to fall upon you. See what happens. Works right well for me.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 09-27-2019, 02:33 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Let all who name the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Calling on Jesus and living in sin don't gel.

So, here is some practical application:

Go, and sin no more.

How?

Get your carcass to your prayer closet, fast more than you want to, for longer than you want to, and let the Spirit intercede with and for you until you get that iniquity out of your heart.

Collect all the sinful garbage in your house, in whatever form it takes, and pile it into your trash or burn pit. Delete phone numbers and other contact info of any enticing sinners who are on a mission to help you fall.

Surround yourself with God-fearing, sin-hating brothers and sisters and spend as much time with them as possible.

The fear of the LORD is to hate evil.

I recommend everyone take time in their walk with God, to sincerely ask the LORD God to renew in them His fear. Ask Him to allow His terror to fall upon you. See what happens. Works right well for me.

if everyone who confesses the name of Christ would turn away from iniquity, imagine what a powerful force we would be.

Last edited by Amanah; 09-27-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:19 AM
New User

Quote:
Is this really the right approach? Not saying it won’t work. I just don’t see this taught in the epistles.

There’s a 19 yr old young man from the church that I spend some time with ever so often. I am old enough to be his father. He was baptized a few years ago. He has been fasting, praying, gave up social media for a while. He has been seeking for the Holy Ghost recently. He is getting frustrated because he hasn’t received the Spirit -to his knowledge. The pastor’s wife told him that she heard him speaking in tongues. He didn’t hear himself. He’s not satisfied with her witness. He asked me how it felt when I received the Holy Ghost. I said, “Peace and joy.” He said he felt that.

More recently he messaged me, upset. He asked, “how do you stop sinning?” “Things are good for a while, then I sin again.”

I didn’t really know what to say at that moment. I told him, “Jesus said to go and sin no more. You just stop.” *shrugs* I don’t feel that it was a good enough answer.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Is this really the right approach? Not saying it won’t work. I just don’t see this taught in the epistles.

There’s a 19 yr old young man from the church that I spend some time with ever so often. I am old enough to be his father. He was baptized a few years ago. He has been fasting, praying, gave up social media for a while. He has been seeking for the Holy Ghost recently. He is getting frustrated because he hasn’t received the Spirit -to his knowledge. The pastor’s wife told him that she heard him speaking in tongues. He didn’t hear himself. He’s not satisfied with her witness. He asked me how it felt when I received the Holy Ghost. I said, “Peace and joy.” He said he felt that.

More recently he messaged me, upset. He asked, “how do you stop sinning?” “Things are good for a while, then I sin again.”

I didn’t really know what to say at that moment. I told him, “Jesus said to go and sin no more. You just stop.” *shrugs* I don’t feel that it was a good enough answer.
I never tell anyone that I heard or believe that they were speaking in tongues. years ago, I heard a brother chattering like a chipmunk while we were praying for him. But the brother didn't realize he was speaking in tongues. I understood back then that an individual has to come to the epiphany that they are indeed receiving the real deal. Tongue talking and all.
As for the sinning item, the the Spirit of Truth is our teacher through the preaching and the Word. So, we who know to to do good and if we do it not it is sin unto us. Therefore we do the things that we love, and don't do the things we hate. A new convert who questions the witness of another brother and sister hearing them speak in tongues, is going through the normal struggle. Therefore they are still young and need to grow to maturity. It takes time and everyone is different. No one is exactly like you, and no one is exactly like me. Everyone react differently to certain things that we may of found easy, or found hard. So, working with a young brother takes patience. To teach we aren't trying to win anything, therefore the only goal is achieved only by Jesus. We are going to pray for the young brother, sister, or neophyte as they make their journey on the Pilgrim's Progress trail. We are only there to encourage, never scold, that's not our job with a neophyte,or a young person. Again we don't do the things we hate, but love to do the things we love. It isn't turned around by any human discipline, but only through Jesus Christ working through us by us yielding to Him. The young man or woman just need to learn to hate the things they see and know are sin. Sometimes it happens overnight, but if it doesn't they need to relax and allow Jesus to work it all out with them. They must understand that Jesus loves them, and He is a good Father, one who will never leave them or forsake them. We beat ourselves up at times, which slows the process to a crawl. Neophytes and young people even worse. They must be encouraged that Jesus loves them and is gently helping them to move forward, always forward never backwards. Jesus LEADS us, you know like a shepherd. He NEVER drives us like we are cattle. Because He isn't a cowboy.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

He may need to know more about Faith and Grace.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:06 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evang.benincasa View Post
i never tell anyone that i heard or believe that they were speaking in tongues. Years ago, i heard a brother chattering like a chipmunk while we were praying for him. But the brother didn't realize he was speaking in tongues. I understood back then that an individual has to come to the epiphany that they are indeed receiving the real deal. Tongue talking and all.
As for the sinning item, the the spirit of truth is our teacher through the preaching and the word. So, we who know to to do good and if we do it not it is sin unto us. Therefore we do the things that we love, and don't do the things we hate. A new convert who questions the witness of another brother and sister hearing them speak in tongues, is going through the normal struggle. Therefore they are still young and need to grow to maturity. It takes time and everyone is different. No one is exactly like you, and no one is exactly like me. Everyone react differently to certain things that we may of found easy, or found hard. So, working with a young brother takes patience. To teach we aren't trying to win anything, therefore the only goal is achieved only by jesus. We are going to pray for the young brother, sister, or neophyte as they make their journey on the pilgrim's progress trail. We are only there to encourage, never scold, that's not our job with a neophyte,or a young person. Again we don't do the things we hate, but love to do the things we love. It isn't turned around by any human discipline, but only through jesus christ working through us by us yielding to him. The young man or woman just need to learn to hate the things they see and know are sin. Sometimes it happens overnight, but if it doesn't they need to relax and allow jesus to work it all out with them. They must understand that jesus loves them, and he is a good father, one who will never leave them or forsake them. We beat ourselves up at times, which slows the process to a crawl. Neophytes and young people even worse. They must be encouraged that jesus loves them and is gently helping them to move forward, always forward never backwards. Jesus leads us, you know like a shepherd. He never drives us like we are cattle. Because he isn't a cowboy.
👍🏼