Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Practical Bible Doctrine thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Is this really the right approach? Not saying it won’t work. I just don’t see this taught in the epistles.

There’s a 19 yr old young man from the church that I spend some time with ever so often. I am old enough to be his father. He was baptized a few years ago. He has been fasting, praying, gave up social media for a while. He has been seeking for the Holy Ghost recently. He is getting frustrated because he hasn’t received the Spirit -to his knowledge. The pastor’s wife told him that she heard him speaking in tongues. He didn’t hear himself. He’s not satisfied with her witness. He asked me how it felt when I received the Holy Ghost. I said, “Peace and joy.” He said he felt that.

More recently he messaged me, upset. He asked, “how do you stop sinning?” “Things are good for a while, then I sin again.”

I didn’t really know what to say at that moment. I told him, “Jesus said to go and sin no more. You just stop.” *shrugs* I don’t feel that it was a good enough answer.
A lot of newbies have mixed up ideas about what sin is. They stump their bare toe on a doorjamb and let out an uncouth word and think they must be hellbound because surely Jesus would never say such a thing? Not realising that in that case they need maturity which comes with time and experience. On the other hand, shacking up with a "girlfriend" isn't about maturity but obedience. Brother Benincasa explained pretty nicely how our actions flow from what we love, so we have to learn to love good and hate evil. And that comes from loving God, not just following a set of rules in order to get to heaven.

They key I believe is to keep moving forward. If a person stumbles they need to get back up and get back in the ring. Giving up means death.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-27-2019, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is this really the right approach? Not saying it won’t work. I just don’t see this taught in the epistles.

There’s a 19 yr old young man from the church that I spend some time with ever so often. I am old enough to be his father. He was baptized a few years ago. He has been fasting, praying, gave up social media for a while. He has been seeking for the Holy Ghost recently. He is getting frustrated because he hasn’t received the Spirit -to his knowledge. The pastor’s wife told him that she heard him speaking in tongues. He didn’t hear himself. He’s not satisfied with her witness. He asked me how it felt when I received the Holy Ghost. I said, “Peace and joy.” He said he felt that.

More recently he messaged me, upset. He asked, “how do you stop sinning?” “Things are good for a while, then I sin again.”

I didn’t really know what to say at that moment. I told him, “Jesus said to go and sin no more. You just stop.” *shrugs* I don’t feel that it was a good enough answer.
It's not there in so many words, but rather, I find it to be a pretty good summary of various Epistle (and Gospel and Acts) teachings, brought together for our benefit.

Pray without ceasing? Why? Just for fun?

Perfect holiness in the fear of God? Why? Just 'cause?

Pray that you might not enter into temptation? Why? Jesus said so, that's why?

In fasts often? Why? To brag about it in a letter to a church?

Building yourself up in your most holy faith, praying in the Spirit? Why? To look spiritual in front of church buddies?

The real reason is simple: the lusts of the flesh war against the soul. Esaias has it right: quitting is death.

This fellow is a puppy in life and in Christ. I don't mean that disparaging at all. What are his motivations for praying and fasting so much?

A better question:

How is it you or anyone even knows he prays and fasts so often? Jesus said to do these things in SECRET. It may be (although I confess I don't really know) that the reason he isn't being rewarded openly with overcoming sinfulness by the Father for his dedication to prayer and fasting is because he already has his reward???

But what I really think is, he, like many new converts, likely has a very limited grasp on atonement and justification and therefore lacks in the confident knowledge and assurance that Jesus carries a rod of correction and a staff of reproof, not a sledgehammer of abuse and baseball bat of condemnation.

But who really knows, but God?

All I can write here with total certainty is, it was and continues to be, my only path forward to successful Christian living. It's all that's ever worked for any/every-one I know who has matured and become truly Christ-like.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 09-28-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:06 AM
New User

well, he confides in me... he’s not bragging about fasting. And he asks a lot of questions. I usually have answers. This time I felt like I dropped the ball.

He just messaged me. He wished I had attended the Friday evening youth service. He stated that he didn’t speak in tongues. But he felt true freedom. That makes me glad. I keep telling him to press forward. Not to focus on things he’s done. Don’t focus on tongues.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:20 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
well, he confides in me... he’s not bragging about fasting. And he asks a lot of questions. I usually have answers. This time I felt like I dropped the ball.

He just messaged me. He wished I had attended the Friday evening youth service. He stated that he didn’t speak in tongues. But he felt true freedom. That makes me glad. I keep telling him to press forward. Not to focus on things he’s done. Don’t focus on tongues.
You are doing good, you are making yourself available.

If you feel you've dropped the ball, then pick ball back up and keep running.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:33 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
You are doing good, you are making yourself available.

If you feel you've dropped the ball, then pick ball back up and keep running.
Yah, I know. Of all the men that could have been placed in his life, he gets me. Poor kid.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Brother, instead of telling him "don't focus on tongues", why not addressing it with faith and grace?
What about: "The Holy Spirit comes by grace through faith, it is a promise. Grace means that you don't have to do any work to deserve it or pay for it. And faith means you should have certainty in your heart that God will, at some point, give it to you or confirm to you if you already have it. You repented and believed, and if something is still lacking He will guide you because of his grace and your faith. He sees your confusion and he, because he loves you, will clarify all things. Have certainty on God's future actions because of his love for you and wait patiently for him."

With that faith in his heart, God, in his love, will respond, and guide him into the right way and confirm his promise on him. Faith will free him from his concerns and will produce an actual respond from God.

Last edited by coksiw; 09-28-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:18 AM
New User

Because I’ve been up since 9am yesterday, and that is a lot to type on an iPhone SE
Old 02-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Post some teachings from the Word with practical application that a person can put into practice.
Bumping just in case....

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-17-2020, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Psalm 27:8,

8. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

When the LORD speaks to you, purpose it in your heart to obey immediately. No questioning, no second-guessing, no time to doubt or let the feet grow cold. Get up and be a doer of the Word. God will bless such immediate obedience, immediately!

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 02-17-2020, 07:23 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Psalm 27:8,

8. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

When the LORD speaks to you, purpose it in your heart to obey immediately. No questioning, no second-guessing, no time to doubt or let the feet grow cold. Get up and be a doer of the Word. God will bless such immediate obedience, immediately!

I notice the psalmist said he would seek God's face with his heart, not just lip service. A lot of times people hear God calling them, through one means or another (whether through a preacher, an acquaintance, or some circumstance of life) and then THINK TO THEMSELVES and even SAY "Yeah, I need get right with God, close to God, do the will of God" etc... But never follow through. Or only follow through half heartedly, like it was just a fad or a "phase"... other things intervene and take hold of the attention, and then where is that forwardness to serve God that they once had?