Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Re: Teacher cuts girls hair without permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant82 View Post
i couldnt care less what she has previously done or what award she has won, if the little girl is telling the truth and she cut her hair after basically taunting her, then she is toast, dt

"I AM PERSONALLY GRATEFUL FOR YOUR OPINION, DT. I JUST WONDER ABOUT MOTIVES. I WANT THIS MATTER TO BE SEARCHED OUT.
i agree with you on that note servant, we do need to know why she would do such a thing, then let the chips fall where they may, dt
Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividedThigh View Post
by the way to say the little girl was not physically harmed is a falsehood, her hair being cut after not having that done for her whole life is physical harm, my own opinion,dt
True, what was done was irreparable. Furthermore "Servant" seems to be implying that the worst injuries all have to be physical.

Absolutely not true !
Old 05-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

[QUOTE=Servant82;466856]"Regardless of the reason why she had long hair, or even if she didn't, for someone to alter someone physically without permission is assault."

We don't know if there was permission involved or not. We've only heard one side of the
story. [quote]

The mother didn't give permission, did she? Isn't that the side we've heard? If she didn't give permission, it doesn't matter what the other side says. The school didn't suspend (or terminate her employment) for no reason.

Quote:
There was absolutely no physical harm done to the girl. Just like Samson hair grows back. However, a teacher has lost her livelihood, and her name. She has an exemplary history.

"He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him." Proverbs 18:17

Think about this, and prayerfully consider.
Just because no physical harm was done doesn't justify her actions. You can't put your hands on someone else's child without permission, whether you cause harm to them or not.

I agree that hair grows back, but if my daughter's hair was uncut all her life and I wanted it kept that way until she became of age, I would be furious with someone who would alter that status without my permission.

You must be male.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant82 View Post
"Regardless of the reason why she had long hair, or even if she didn't, for someone to alter someone physically without permission is assault."

We don't know if there was permission involved or not. We've only heard one side of the
story. There was absolutely no physical harm done to the girl. Just like Samson hair grows back. However, a teacher has lost her livelihood, and her name. She has an exemplary history.

"He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him." Proverbs 18:17

Think about this, and prayerfully consider.

There is no other side of the story ... as a teacher you must know your limits in what you can and cannot do ... as it applies to your contact w/ a student.

THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER SIDE TO EVERY STORY, AND MANY CIRCUMSTANCES COULD RENDER THIS WOMAN INNOCENT. SO FAR, I STAY
NEUTRAL. IF WE CAN'T HEAR WHAT THIS TEACHER'S STORY IS, WE BEHAVE
IRRATIONALLY AND FALL IN LINE MORE SO WITH AUTOCRATIC FASCISM. GOD FORBID WE REACH THAT POINT. DO YOU KNOW MRS. SORENSON? DID YOU KNOW SHE PAID A CHILD'S MOTHER'S ELECTRIC BILL? DID YOU KNOW SHE HAS SEVERAL TEACHING AWARDS? THERE'S HAS BEEN MORE THAN ONE STORY ABOUT HER IN THE MEDIA.
Her good deeds don't erase her bad ones. I have all kinds of good stories about ministers who have fallen, but we don't ignore the reason they fell, right?

It doesn't matter what her story is. If she didn't obtain permission from the parent, she was wrong.....period. In addition, she is a teacher, not a beautician, and therefore had no business cutting that girl's hair.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I used to teach both high school and adult education. In my 15 yr tenure I made it a practice to NEVER put my hands on the high school students unless I was doing a skills demonstration and then ONLY when absolutely necessary and then only with their permission even after they had volunteered to be the "patient". Same thing for the adults. Of course that was many years ago and probably today I would NEVER touch a student adult or otherwise.

Even as a nurse LOOOONNNGGG years ago, we had to have WRITTEN PERMISSION to cut a patient's hair that had LICE! Also, if stitches had to be done and the hair had to be cut....again, doctor's order and signed permission!!

The teacher may have won many awards and may be a wonderful teacher. But, I agree with Heavenly One. Her good deeds do not erase this lapse of REASONABLE judgement! As a teacher, there is NO excuse for putting scissors in a child's hair!

Beth in KY
Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
lol, i hear you could even find a few weirdos at some homes, lol,dt
and, on rare occasions, you might even find a weirdo or two on an online forum

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
i agree with you on that note servant, we do need to know why she would do such a thing, then let the chips fall where they may, dt
I doubt if we will ever know.
This was something on the local news.
It will soon be forgotten by everyone except a few local folks who were involved.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 05-19-2008, 04:35 PM
ultra con (at least here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I doubt if we will ever know.
This was something on the local news.
It will soon be forgotten by everyone except a few local folks who were involved.
The news about the teacher being fired is only a couple days old. But fired as opposed to suspended means a lot.

IF the family chooses not to proceed in court, then yes that will be all the news forthcoming.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
"Members of the Pentecostal community applauded Aldine's swift action.

Ken Gurley, senior pastor of First Church at Pearland, said some Pentecostals believe a woman's long hair is given to her instead of a veil and is her covering before God.

"Pentecostals have held to that, and they believe it's one of the signifying qualities of femininity," he said."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5786748.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
I applaud brother Gurley in his vocal stance against this nefarious action taken by this teacher ...

However his theology is off on the issue ...
LOL! Are we being presumptuous here?

Gurley simply stated what, "some Pentecostals believe..." and that "and they believe it's one of the signifying qualities of femininity"

It does not speak about his own beliefs.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Griffin View Post
The news about the teacher being fired is only a couple days old. But fired as opposed to suspended means a lot.

IF the family chooses not to proceed in court, then yes that will be all the news forthcoming.
Does the family have to file charges for this to be a criminal case James, as opposed to a civil case? Or can the state file criminal charges?
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV