Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Post AZ Bill Could Penalize Employers - If Gov Signs It

Migrant bill awaits governor
Today's the day for her to announce decision on sanctions

Matthew Benson
The Arizona Republic
July 2, 2007

Sign? Or veto?

It sounds simple enough. But the fate of a proposal to enact new penalties for employers of undocumented workers hangs in the balance. So, too, do uncounted businesses on both sides of the debate and the more than a quarter-million workers who make up the state's underground labor pool.

Named simply House Bill 2779, the measure is perhaps the most significant bill of the recently adjourned legislative session, and it delves into the state's biggest issue: illegal immigration. Guessing Napolitano's decision has become the biggest parlor game in Arizona politics.

The deadline for that decision is today.

"It's going to be a telling decision," said Republican lobbyist and former legislator Stan Barnes. "No matter how she acts, she'll have a lot of people yelling at her."

Full story: Article found HERE

I'm very interested in whether she signs this or veto's it. As the article states, she's been pushing for tough sanctions against employers for a while now. However, she's been incredibly soft on immigration issues here and refuses to get too tough on illegal immigration.

I read somewhere else that if this bill is signed, it will be the toughest bill in the US against employers who knowingly hire illegal immigrants.

She would get a lot of support for an eventual Senate campaign if she signs this. She's rumored to be running for McCain's seat in the Senate once it's up for re-election. Whether he's still there or not, I'm sure she'll win it as her popularity is much higher than his, unfortunately. The PHX talk stations have been hot today with people calling in to voice their support and asking her to sign it.

Last edited by Tina; 08-03-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: *copyright
Old 07-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

If she does sign it, wouldn't those opposed have the option of taking the matter to the Supreme Court to decide?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
If she does sign it, wouldn't those opposed have the option of taking the matter to the Supreme Court to decide?
I think they probably could. The last time voters passed an initiative (Prop 200) in a landslide against illegal immigrants - the AZ Attorney General's office waited nearly a year before allowing it to be implemented. Not sure if they'll do the same here, since the Dem. Governor signed and supports this (unlike Prop 200, which she tried everything to kill).

As was stated a few minutes ago on a PHX local talk show . . . even a broken clock is right twice a day.

AZ Governor Janet Napolitano signed the bill into law. There's a lot of speculation on how much it will be enforced and whether or not there will be as much work put into this as was put into a smoking ban from a year or so ago.

No less than about a week after the smoking ban was signed into law, stickers with a toll-free tattle tale number to report offenders were sent out by the state office.

I wonder if there will be as much vigilence pursuing offenders of this law as there is for offenders of that law.

I honestly doubt it. It was a good PR move for the Gov . . . and pretty much something she had to do, considering her comments about the last bill and desire to sign a tough employer penalty bill.

But I'm glad she signed it. This is something that Congress needed to do long ago. It should (IF enforced) have a positive impact here in AZ.