Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Banned

Re: I dont wanna be that guy but...Im feeling conv

From my studies, 90% of what we know as "Christmas" is indeed of pagan origin. What little of it that is "Christian" was injected into the pagan holiday in an attempt to "Christianize" it and tame the heathen revelries of the pagan holiday.

As time has passed much of the outright paganism has fallen to the wayside. A lot of what used to be pagan religious rites, talismans, and mysticism has turned into marketed plastic seasonal decorations. A lot of our "Christian" traditions are based in Catholic practice.

So, there's little about Christmas that it's truly Christian, if the term is used loosely.

For this reason, I see Christmas as just a cultural winter festival with Catholic influence. I don't believe it belongs in the church. I don't believe in Christmas pageants, candle light services, etc. I disagree with Christmas trees and decorations being in churches.

But, as individuals, I believe that individuals should follow their conscience regarding how deeply they participate, as with any cultural "holiday".

I believe that in pure Christianity, there are no special Holy days or Sabbaths. No dietary requirements, nor ritual dress codes. And our only ordinances are water baptism and the Lord's Supper. So, much of our participation in our surrounding culture should be a matter of personal conviction.

Last edited by Aquila; 12-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

It would be nice if Originalist actually posted some data, to provide that "counter perspective"...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
From my studies, 90% of what we know as "Christmas" is indeed of pagan origin. What little of it that is "Christian" was injected into the pagan holiday in an attempt to "Christianize" it and tame the heathen revelries of the pagan holiday.

As time has passed much of the outright paganism has fallen to the wayside. A lot of what used to be pagan religious rites, talismans, and mysticism has turned into marketed plastic seasonal decorations. A lot of our "Christian" traditions are based in Catholic practice.

So, there's little about Christmas that it's truly Christian, if the term is used loosely.

For this reason, I see Christmas as just a cultural winter festival with Catholic influence. I don't believe it belongs in the church. I don't believe in Christmas pageants, candle light services, etc. I disagree with Christmas trees and decorations being in churches.

But, as individuals, I believe that individuals should follow their conscience regarding how deeply they participate, as with any cultural "holiday".

I believe that in pure Christianity, there are no special Holy days or Sabbaths. No dietary requirements, nor ritual dress codes. And our only ordinances are water baptism and the Lord's Supper. So, much of our participation in our surrounding culture should be a matter of personal conviction.
EXCELLENT post, though I believe early Hebrew Christians had some thoughts concerning the birth of Christ that predated Catholicism. But you are dead on about no special Holy days or Sabbaths. They are of no effect. Celebrating a Jewish feast day is inert as long as one is not doing it as a means of righteousness. It's the same with Christmas. It is inert. God's salvation in our life is not so weak that it crumbles because some believers choose to reflect on his birth on a particular day. We weaken God and give Satan way too much credit by claiming otherwise.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

I guess it was not to be.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

I don't like Christmas as a holiday. I like the season and some of the traditions in a secular, family oriented sense. Admittedly, it holds little religious significance to me but I do "go along to get along" to a point.

I hate the "Jesus is the reason for the season mantra." And I think the Devil sits back and laughs at how we are so quick to jump head long into foolish irrelevant controversies ("Merry Christmas" vs. "Happy Holidays").

If you ever hear that I put a Christmas tree up in my house, just know that I have backslid and you need to pray for me.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Even the writers of scripture did not know the birthday of Jesus.

23And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, Luke 3:23

Luke says he was ABOUT 30 years of age. They were not even sure how old he was. And yet here we are telling our children Jesus was born on Dec. 25.

There's almost no fear of God left.

Come out from among them and touch not the unclean thing and I will receive you saith the Lord. 2 Cor 6:17

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 12-19-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:03 AM
Banned

They did not have Google in the 1st century to figure out the birthday of Jesus, Michael.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Even the writers of scripture did not know the birthday of Jesus.

23And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, Luke 3:23

Luke says he was ABOUT 30 years of age. They were not even sure how old he was. And yet here we are telling our children Jesus was born on Dec. 25.

There's almost no fear of God left.

Come out from among them and touch not the unclean thing and I will receive you saith the Lord. 2 Cor 6:17
Actually, I tell my children we are not sure when he was born, but that the date is irrelevant.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Ok....Im not as much worried about a date as I am the tree, holly, mistletoe, yule log imagery....let me me just say that. I also understand that you can celebrate the birth of Christ without these things.

It bothers me when that imagery is brought into the church.

"You're just bein uptight...its just a tree and plants."

Yeah, pagans are rolling on floor laughing because "Christians" are using things from their faith and worship in the temple of Christ.

Golden Calf
Offering of Strange Fire
Ark in the Temple of Dagon
Sin of Jeraboam

just a few examples where God shows that you can't just do whatever you want in His name and expect Him to be ok with it.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

A lot of Apostolics preach against trees. Its more common not to have trees than it is to have one in most conservative circles.