Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

UPC Resolution to Remove TV from Manual

From two separate sources connected to WEC and the General Board I've been told that last week's GB meetings produced a resolution for this year's General Conference to remove all references to TV from the manual. For some time there has been a committee researching the subject and the relevance of the wording of the manual in regard to television ownership among ministers. David Bernard realized that modern technology had made the wording of the manual irrelevant and obsolete.

The word I received was 75% of the Board members were in favor of it. This is a giant shift in policy. It has been a wedge issue for years between conservative and moderate/liberals. The WPF exists today because of the 2007 decision to allow TV advertising at the GC in Tampa. Should the GC pass this resolution, this could push more conservatives out of the door.

To the man on the street this debate is a no brainer. To ban the traditional TV from preacher's homes while phones, computers, notebooks and other devices can access almost all of the same content of television is nonsensical. A majority of UPC churches have members who own TVs. Many preachers have TVs and have been making the choice to lie on their affirmation statements they are required to sign every other year. Many preachers have left because they could no longer sign it dishonestly. 30% of new applications for ministerial licenses in the UPC had the statement about TV ownership struck through, which automatically canceled the applications validity.

With the numbers in the UPC declining, in numbers of churches, numbers of veteran ministers and numbers of young men applying for license, the UPC cant afford to turn away 30% of new applicants. I believe that with the short term losses of conservatives leaving it's ranks the long term benefits will outweigh the losses.

Then there's the dress code and hair issues...

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Beautiful are the feet......

Interesting! The argument that "its the way that we've always done it" begins to crack when technology makes their reasoning obsolete. The reason TV was banned back in the 50s was to keep worldliness out of the home. The argument is laughable when computers and smart phones are allowed.

Maybe, just maybe, this will pass and the focus will be on godly choices of what is allowed to be seen on TV.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Life=Coin. Spend wisely

Re: UPC Resolution to Remove TV from Manual

Makes sense to me.

However, i dont see them getting rid of the skirts and long hair restriction anytime soon. They could do away with the no jewelry and makeup rules.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenuntodeath View Post
Makes sense to me.

However, i dont see them getting rid of the skirts and long hair restriction anytime soon. They could do away with the no jewelry and makeup rules.
Women were shown how to paint there faces for the fallen angels in the book of Enoch.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Life=Coin. Spend wisely

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreacherME View Post
Women were shown how to paint there faces for the fallen angels in the book of Enoch.
The book of Enoch, are you serious? You do know the book of enoch is: a) used in witchcraft and b) not even in the bible?

Last edited by Evenuntodeath; 03-12-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The book of Enoch, are you serious? You do know the book of enoch is: a) used in witchcraft and b) not even in the bible?
No, I didn't know it was used for witchcraft. But I do know it was canonized at one time until someone thought it was ridiculous to have sex with angels (as Genesis states). The Ethiopian Coptic church still has Enoch canonized. Just a thought.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's actually included in ancient Bibles such as the bible used by Ethiopian orthodoxy. Many scholars also point to several places in the NT where the book of Enoch is quoted. Some believe that it's inspired, others don't.

Witches also use the Bible, crosses, and even some Christian hymns and liturgies.

We shouldn't rush to judgment before truly investigating something.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

They will do away with most restrictions pertaining to the male, but not the female. My opinion.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 AM
Life=Coin. Spend wisely

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
They will do away with most restrictions pertaining to the male, but not the female. My opinion.
You already know.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Quote:
You already know.
Yes... I've often heard it said... you can't tell what a man believes until you see his wife....