Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Ronzo

Soups

The Recipes for Soups thread...
Old 02-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Ronzo

Ron's version of Tomato Basil soup

This one is so easy...

Ingredients:

One large bunch of fresh Basil (washed)

About a tablespoon of chopped oregano (dried or fresh)

Two or three large cloves of crushed garlic

One large bottle of Campbell's Tomato Juice (about a half gallon?)

Half a stick of butter

Half cup of heavy cream (you can use half and half or whole milk if you prefer)

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Finely chop the basil and set aside

Melt the butter in a large pot and add the crushed garlic over medium high heat until butter is golden brown.

Since the butter will be very hot, SLOWLY pour the tomato juice into the pot, and bring it up to slow boil over medium low heat.

If the oregano you have is dried, put it in the soup now.

When the soup begins to boil, stir in the cream and remove soup from heat.

Stir in the finely chopped basil and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I use tomato juice because a lot of it is relatively cheap, and plus, I just like the smoothness it brings to the soup.

I tried using crushed tomatoes, and it just doesn't work for me, and the store bought tomato soups just don't do it for me either.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Ronzo

Ron's Tortilla Soup

Everyone makes it differently.

I'm not good on writing directions for recipes down, because I tend to ad-lib a lot. I rarely make anything exactly the same twice.

Here's a basic list of ingredients...

One large pot

Half or full chicken, skin on.

Big chunks of carrot, celery, and onion.

Large can (or two - or one big can and a small one) of whole tomatoes (whatever brand is your favorite)

Half of a large bag of tortilla chips

Cummin - to taste

Cilantro - to taste

Cayenne pepper - to taste

One small can of chipotle peppers, ground up in a food processor or very finely chopped by a knife.

Salt and pepper to taste

I start with a half of a chicken (it's just Dee and I when I cook, ususally). Put it in a large pot (dutch oven type), and cover it with water (usually a half inch to an inch above the chicken). Throw in some big chunks of carrots, celery, and onion along with it. Cover it, and bring it all to a boil on high heat. Once it boils, turn down the heat to a 'low boil' and let it simmer together for about an hour. Put a little salt and pepper in now, but not too much salt as the chips will bring a whole lot of salt to the mix later on.

Pull it off the heat, strain the veggies out (I toss 'em at that point - I only use them to add flavor to the stock) and set the broth aside. Pull the chicken out and get all the meat you can off it. Shred the meat into small pieces (half inch to an inch long, about a half inch wide) and throw it back in the pot. Take a large can of whole tomatoes (or two big cans - depending on whether you like tomatoes) and crush each tomato with your hand to get the juices and seeds out of them, then place the pulp into the broth. You can add a little of the can juice to the broth too, if you like.

After you add the tomatoes, put the broth back on low heat.

Take the can of chipotles and chop them up in a food processor, or use a knife to finely chop them. If you're using a food processor, you'll need to add about a cup or two of water (if you use the broth, that's best) to the mix in order to really get the chipotles ground up. You can use the knife method and chop them into hearty sized chunks if you like too. That's fine. I prefer them to be like the consintecy of tomato sauce. Once you have them chopped up, add them to the broth.

Take some cilantro (the amount depends on your preference - I like a little cilantro, just enough to brighten up the flavor a little) and chop it up pretty finely, then add it to the broth.

Add the cummin. Again, your preference.

Add the Cayenne. If you don't like it, don't use it. I like it - a lot of it.

Cover it and let it all simmer together for about a half hour to 45 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste (if needed - and now is a good time to add more of the other flavors if you wish).

Then remove the lid and let simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes to reduce slightly.

Put the chips in a bowl, and then ladel the soup over the chips.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Ronzo

King Ranch Soup

Ok...
Here's my interpretation:

3 cups of water.

Small package of Velveeta or equivalent (8 oz?)

1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms (to me, they looked like shitake - sp?).

2 good sized roma tomatoes.

2 small Jalapenos

(We added 3 Serranos as well)

2 cloves of garlic.

1 medium white onion

Two bell peppers (one yellow and one green in this kit), diced chunky.

2 medium chicken breasts, seasoned with fajita seasoning (grilled and cubed).

8 oz corn tortilla chips

1 can of cream of chicken soup.

3 Tbsp butter

1 or two chicken bullion cubes

1 Tsp Poultry seasoning.

Paprika to taste.

Cumin to taste.

Salt and pepper to taste.

1 Tsp corn starch or flour

(Tony C's is always handy)

Directions:

Lightly oil an oven safe pan or skillet.

Slice the tomatoes into half inch slices. Throw them in the pan.

Throw the hot peppers in the pan.

Throw the garlic in there.

Drizzle just a little more olive oil over the veggies.

Put the pan into an already preheated oven set to 400. Let the veggies roast for about 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on them and don't let them burn.

While the Veggies are roasting, stir fry the bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms over medium heat in the pot you'll cook the rest of the soup in until they soften a little (about 5 minutes or so). Sprinkle the seasoning (paprika, cumin, bullion, salt and pepper - Tony C's too if you like it) over the stir fry mixture. Add the flour or corn starch here. continue to stir until the flour is blended somewhat, about another minute.

Slowly stir the water in a little at a time.

Chop the Velveeta into little chunks and add them slowly to the soup. Stir until they are combined.

Take the veggies from the oven and dice up the tomatoes, garlic, and hot peppers. Throw them into the pot.

Empty the small can of cream of chicken into the pot.

Put the tortilla chips in the pot.

Throw the grilled, cubed fajita chicken in the pot.

Cover and keep on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.

Ok.. I think that about does it.

By the way, Pillsbury Grands biscuits work great with this to sop up the leftovers in the bowl. YUM

Feel free to modify for your own tastes.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Sunshine

Broccoli & Cheese Soup

In a small saucepan put about 2 cups of broccoli florets and a small amount of water and cook until crisp tender. Pour florets and liquid into food process and puree. Pour into stock with soup.

In an 8 inch skillet melt 1/8 stick butter and saute chopped carrots and onion (I do just a couple slices of onion and I guess about 2 cups carrots0. After they are crisp tender; run through food processor and then add to stock.

While you are doing the above; combine the following into a large (6-8 qt) stockpot:
2 cans chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 Tbs Tone chicken base---I get mine at Sam's
2-4 oz Velveeta chopped small
1-2 Cups milk

Heat this on low for everything to melt. Add broccoli, onion and carrots from above.

In your skillet melt 1/8 stick of butter and chip up another cup each of broccoli florets, carrots and I add 2 cans drained sliced mushrooms.

Before you serve sprinkle grated parmesan cheese.

I love this recipe and so does my entire family!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Margie3

If anyone wants to make a really good potato soup, here is a recipe. It sounds kinda complicated, but it is very easy!

Cheesy Potato Soup

1/2 stick butter
1/2-1 cup each of onions and celery
saute the onions and celery in the butter until softened and translucent

5-6 medium or medium-large potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces

Add the potatoes to the onion and celery after they are cooked. Cover with water until it is about 1/2" above the top of the potatoes. Add some pepper to taste. Cover and boil until potatoes are soft. Let cool for just a little bit.

Take about 1/2 of the potatoes out of the water and mash them (I use my mixer), then add them back to the pot again. Add:
1 large can of chicken stock
1 block of Velveeta Cheese
about 3/4 lb. of good deli ham that has been chipped up fine

Heat and stir until the Velveeta is melted and mixed thru. Taste at this point. If it is good enough, you are done. If you need to, you can add a little bit of "Better than Boullion", chicken flavor

Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Honhi

Bologna Soup

You need ring bologna, not sliced. I buy about 2 pounds since I have a family of 5. Cut the bologna up into bite size pieces and put in large pot. Then you get cream of potato soup (the Campbell's cans, a bit over 10 ounces). I use 5 cans, but you can adjust to your family size. Add the potato soup and 1 cup of milk for each can of soup to the bologna and cook.

It sounds nasty, I know, but it's quick and easy and yummier than it sounds. Plus, my whole family actually likes it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Blubayou

BLT Soup

5 slices bacon, finely diced, plus crisp crumbles bacon, for garnish
1/2 cup diced green onions
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups finely sliced iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup instant flour
3 1/2 cups fresh or canned chicken broth, heated to a simmer
1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
n a 3-quart pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the lettuce and saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the pot, then stir it in until well blended. Remove the pot from the heat and add the hot chicken broth, tomatoes, nutmeg and pepper. Heat the soup to boiling, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Add the cream and mix well.
Mix together the mayonnaise and sour cream. Serve each portion of soup with a dollop of mayonnaise mixture topped with crumbled bacon.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Margie3

Cream of Broccoli and Cheese Soup

1 stick of butter or margarine
1 c. chopped onions
3/4 c. chopped celery
about 1/2-3/4 c. flour
1 Large can chicken stock
1 package chopped broccoli
1 block Velveeta Cheese
1/2 lb. Maple Ham from the deli, chipped fine and then chopped

saute the onions and celery in the butter until they are translucent. add the flour and stir. Cook till the mixture browns, making a rue. Slowly add the can of chicken stock, stirring as you add it to avoid lumps. While you are doing this, cook the broccoli in a bowl in your microwave, just till it's warmed up and cooked. When the chicken stock is all added in and has started to thicken, add the chopped broccoli. Stir that together. Add the Maple Ham that you've chopped fine. Finally, cut the Velveeta into small chunks and put that into the soup. Cook on low until the Velveeta is melted.

Sometimes, if I feel like it, I either add about a quart of milk and/or some chicken base (the instant kind that you keep in the fridge and then dissolve in hot water). Be careful with the chicken base so it doesn't get to salty tasting.

When I make this, I get all kinds of compliments on it.
Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Blubayou

Cheddar Ham Chowder
2 cups water
2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
1 can whole kernel corn (16-ounce) drained
1 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham

In a large saucepan, bring the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from the heat; do not drain. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Blend in flour. Add the milk all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir into the undrained vegetables; return large saucepan to the heat. Add corn and ham; heat through, stirring occasionally.