Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Nano technology

Nanoparticles present possible dangers, both medically and environmentally.[10] Most of these are due to the high surface to volume ratio, which can make the particles very reactive or catalytic.[11] They are also able to pass through cell membranes in organisms, and their interactions with biological systems are relatively unknown.[12] However, free nanoparticles in the environment quickly tend to agglomerate and thus leave the nano-regime, and nature itself presents many nanoparticles to which organisms on earth may have evolved immunity (such as salt particulates from ocean aerosols, terpenes from plants, or dust from volcanic eruptions)[citation needed]. A fuller analysis is provided in the article on nanotechnology.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, "Animal studies have shown that some nanoparticles can penetrate cells and tissues, move through the body and brain and cause biochemical damage. But whether cosmetics and sunscreens containing nanomaterials pose health risks remains largely unknown, pending completion of long-range studies recently begun by the FDA and other agencies."[13] Diesel nanoparticles have been found to damage the cardiovascular system in a mouse model
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoparticle

Nanotechnology is being incorporated more and more into human lives. We will find them in medicine and even in foods.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...se-health-risk

Plastic imbued with clay nanoparticles helps make Miller Brewing Co. beer bottles less likely to break as well as improves how long the brew lasts in storage. Simply H's Toddler Health nutritional drink mix includes 300-nanometer (300 billionths of a meter) iron particles. And a wide range of cooking and cleaning items now employ nanosize silver particles to kill microbes.

Yet, the Washington, D.C.–based environmental group Friends of the Earth (FoE) reports that none of the more than 100 food or food-related products it identified that contain nanoparticles—puny particles between 100 and one nanometers—bears a warning label or has undergone safety testing by government agencies.

"Products created using nanotechnology have entered the food chain," says report author Ian Illuminato, FoE's health and environment lobbyist. "Preliminary studies indicate there is a serious risk…. We should know that it's safe before we put it in our food."

The report builds on several studies in recent years that have shown that some nanoparticles may cause harm. A 2005 study in Environmental Science & Technology showed that zinc oxide nanoparticles were toxic to human lung cells in lab tests even at low concentrations. Other studies have shown that tiny silver particles (15 nanometers) killed liver and brain cells from rats. "They are more chemically reactive and more bioactive," Illuminato says, because of their size, which allows them to easily penetrate organs and cells. "Products should be at least labeled so consumers can choose whether they want to be part of this experiment."

Our foods more and more are being tainted with hormones, anti-biotics and now even nano technology...what is the effect of this passed on to humans?

Scary eh?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Re: Nano technology

Eat more deer!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Eat more deer!!!
But deer eat genetically modified grain from fields filled with pesticides and herbicides! lol

Really, I don't know what the answer is. I definitely know there's a huge risk, but I don't know what I can really do about it on a personal level.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Registered Member

If this gets too much out of control eating wild deer won't matter. Nano particles or even bots could get into our water supply
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahkoe View Post
But deer eat genetically modified grain from fields filled with pesticides and herbicides! lol

Really, I don't know what the answer is. I definitely know there's a huge risk, but I don't know what I can really do about it on a personal level.
This is true as well.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Goo View Post
If this gets too much out of control eating wild deer won't matter. Nano particles or even bots could get into our water supply
You should see where I hunt. Not many people around for miles and miles!
Sister Alvear

scary...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Registered Member

BTW a new word "nano warfare"

You can't take an antidote for a nano bot
Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Sister Alvear

I love deer meat...my favorite.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
You should see where I hunt. Not many people around for miles and miles!
any rivers or streams?

nano bots are theorized to be self replicating