Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Re: Street Corner Preaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTTNMinistries View Post
I was wondering what everyone here thinks about street corner preaching. I have been involved in it for a while but I feel like the Lord has had me take a break for a while and do some other forms of evangelism.

Usually the first question people ask is "what kind of results are you getting?" This is an honest question. Sometimes I have good results where people are immediately ready to repent and other nights it seems like nobody is listening.

Mostly I just wanted to ask what your honest perceptions of most street preachers are, good or bad, if you have ever tried street preaching, and what you think about using that form of evangelism today.
well there are peopel who do street preaching differently, some they just condem condem condem condem. i dont agree with that. but i do think it takes more to get out and street preach, than preaching behind 4 walls.

Open air preaching was effective in jesus day, it still can be today as well. Even if none respond, your planting seeds. You may never see it grow, but God used you to plant it, and one of these days, we may get to see the fruits of our labors, that God has done through us because we opened up to him.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

This is a thread from January 2010

http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...reet+Preachers
Old 05-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Banned

I think when one chooses to street preach they must first define their "mission" and the "results" they are looking for. The street preacher must see himself (or herself) as one who is bringing the Word of God to the people. They must also realize that they are serving as a reminder to the people of God's Word and the Gospel of Salvation. Don't expect your hearers to "respond"... some will... but most will simply listen for various reasons. A great deal will mock you and a few may even become confrontational. But you don't know... at some point in their lives that encounter might be a memory that serves to draw them to God in their hour of need. It also edifies the believers present. Yes, even believers need to have their daily rutine interrupted to be reminded of God's will in their lives. A street preacher is a messenger. Nothing more. Nothing less.

One of the ministers that I know of personally that has a great impact in this area is Bro. Matt Maddix. Street preaching allows a community to be aware of a church and it's specific messsage in a given community. Listeners might not know what church you attend, but they might remember that you're Pentecostal. That could inspire some to visit a Pentecostal church.

One of the most interesting times I had was when I didn't focus on preaching to the lost while street preaching. Instead, I told the crowd I WASN'T preaching to the lost. I explained that the lost know who they are and know that they need to turn to Christ. I was there to preach to the believers. I addressed religion, denominational sectarianism, religious pride, church buildings, greed, high rolling preachers, false prophets, Hollywood, lack of spirituality in the home, the need for house churches, and how the American people by and large don't reject Jesus.... they are rejecting the church. Interestingly... I had a great number of the "lost" wanting to talk. Most were backsliders that were hurt, jaded, or severely judged by the institutional church. I only mentioned my church if they specifically asked where I attended. I emphasized that I wasn't there to rope them into coming to my church... I was there to emphasize their need for a relationship with the person of Jesus. I encouraged them to read their bibles and find at least two or three Christians to regularly meet with during the week. I explained that "church" doesn't need to be in a big building with ecclesiastical clergy preaching a sermon after the choir sings three songs and an offering is taken. I explained that to attend "church" is to attend a "gathering" of believers... even if it's on one's lunch break or if it's just in a coffee shop some lazy Saturday afternoon.

I don't know how many lives were effected or to what degree they were effected. But many that I talked to after addressing the "sins of the church" were deeply moved and thankful to hear an honest assessment of what they had experienced and what the average American even sees when they survey the church.

Bottom line, we are commanded to go into the highways and byways and preach the gospel. The command is given to us. The results are up to God. Often, the street preacher's message acts as a testimony before God. And God will be justified in judging a community that rejects the Gospel. Ah... but the one called to street preach will be judged harshly for never offering the message of the cross to their community.

When street preaching... don't preach about standards. Preach the Gospel. The death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. Preach Christ! The listener needs to walk away knowing Christ or at least knowing Him a little more. Four years later, when their baby's in the hospital, they will be praying to that street preacher's God. It might be something that a given street preacher said that allows that sinner parent to begin praying to God on behalf of their child... and their own soul.

We are the spiritual microwave generation. We want to "win the crowds" as fast as possible. It's not about winning people to your church! It's about winning them to Christ. It's about enriching their relationship and walk with Christ. You will most likely NEVER meet them on this earth. But you're one of many voices that are calling them to faith and consideration of God's desire for them in Christ. It's a humiliating ministry at times. You get laughed at, heckled, slandered, sometimes spit upon, face confrontation, and even various degrees of persecution. Safe and comfy in the church building isn't it??? Street preaching isn't for everyone. It isn't for the faint of heart. Or the one looking for instant "results" or the one wanting to be seen for his or her religious "accomplishments". Even the church is uneasy about street preachers! lol This generation needs a John the Baptist to point them to Christ. And God is calling many and overshadowing them with the spirit and power of Elijah. They realize that they are merely a voice crying in the wilderness to prepare for the Lord and to make His paths straight. They realize that they must decrease and that Christ must increase. And all too often... they will be the ones to offend and perhaps even loose their heads.

If you want a recognized pretty, fancy pants, ministry... preach in the safety of a pulpit where everyone actually came to hear you. But if you are called to street preach, realize that you're being called to preach the message right outside the gates of Hell itself.

And when you go... prepare to die for the Gospel of Christ. Because in some areas a drugged up wacko might feel so convicted.... he might choose to silence you forever. I know of gang members who were packing heat listening to a friend of mine. One even admitted that, for a moment, when the preacher was talking about gangs and violence and God's judgment against the wicked, he considered shooting him.

No. Street preaching isn't for everyone. But it's something far more people are feeling called to do. Follow the Lord... even if it's to degredation, mockery, or even death. Our Jesus is worth it all.

Last edited by Aquila; 05-25-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Holiness Is Still Right.

I've been involved in "street services". A tent was set up, there was music, an offering taken, and a word delivered. I've never been "street preaching" even though I've seen it be effective. I have been doing outreach moreso lately (door to door, handing out tracks, talking to people on the train about Jesus, etc). Whether or not it's effective depends on your perspective and who you're dealing with. Bro. Jose Badejo made the point that people don't usually hang out on street corners, maybe not where he's from. Personally when I read that I thought "where the heck do you live?". Being from an inner city community and I don't mean to be stereotypical but street corners here are "the hang out spots" and the place where you kind find somebody twenty-four seven, mostly drug dealers. Unfortunetly there aren't a lot of "christians" even (especially) within the OP Movement that are bold enough to stand on THESE street corners. There are a few. I admire Full Gospel Holy Temple in Dallas, Texas because they're well known for powerful street preaching in urban areas. They aren't OP but they're pretty bold, and it's a huge and growing church so something must be working. Given the chance I would. THESE are the people that need to hear street preaching the most, those who are actually "in the streets". You'd be surprised how receptive though people "in the streets" and "street folks" are when you approach them with the gospel and just talk to them. Preaching tends to get people's attention but we shouldn't be condemning people, we should be telling them about Jesus.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 AM
I believe

If you are called to do it...DO IT, AND PLEASE LET NOTHING HINDER YOU!!!! For every type of person, there is a type of minister called to preach to that person!

It's not my calling or my passion, but I pray for those that are called to do it. I also encourage proper training...because its rough out there!
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

I, myself, have never experienced street-side preaching. However, if you want to call someone who stands on a trailer, with musicians accompanying him, in a shopping center parking lot while he speaks/preaches/teaches, whatever you wanna call it, yes, I've been a part of that. And there was quite a surprising response. We even went on prayer walks, praying and walking down the street side, holding signs. Now, mind you, I certainly would not go about it the way we did it; when we walked with signs that said "Get right or get left (as in left behind)," "Trade your pieces for His presents," etc. The first example I would NEVER be found dead with. To me, it's terribly wrong and condescending to a world full of people who don't even know who Jesus is. So, why or how would being that in-your-face about it do any good? IMO, it doesn't. Prayer walks are great, though, when they're done using Biblical common sense.

As for the street preaching, I have mixed thoughts on it; some people might like it while others are hesitant. While the Bible might literally tell us to take the gospel to the highways and biways, I think there's a fugrative aspect of it as well (living, walking, and talking the faith everyday where ever we go)...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Back in the 1930's when my late grandparents heard the old white-haired preacher,.
he literally came to their tiny town, with his Bible and started preaching right on the
corner of a street. People stopped and listened and later came to his outdoor revival
and during the revival, it was reported that as many as 1500 people came from all
around to hear this new message of Acts 2. Many came, but just as in Jerusalem, many
heard, but only a few obeyed. My grandmother and my late father who was 14 yrs old
when he was baptized in Jesus Name, and 15 when he received the Holy Ghost, were
some of the ones who HEARD the WORD. HEARD, SEARCHED it out, believed and obeyed
it. I am what I am today because of that humble beginning. Oh, how I thank God for day
God sent a street preacher to their tiny town. Today the Pentecostal church is the largest
church in that town. It was once the smallest.

Falla39
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 AM
I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Back in the 1930's when my late grandparents heard the old white-haired preacher,.
he literally came to their tiny town, with his Bible and started preaching right on the
corner of a street. People stopped and listened and later came to his outdoor revival
and during the revival, it was reported that as many as 1500 people came from all
around to hear this new message of Acts 2. Many came, but just as in Jerusalem, many
heard, but only a few obeyed. My grandmother and my late father who was 14 yrs old
when he was baptized in Jesus Name, and 15 when he received the Holy Ghost, were
some of the ones who HEARD the WORD. HEARD, SEARCHED it out, believed and obeyed
it. I am what I am today because of that humble beginning. Oh, how I thank God for day
God sent a street preacher to their tiny town. Today the Pentecostal church is the largest

Falla39
Old 07-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomapostle View Post
Welcome!

Falla39
Old 07-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Holiness Is Still Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post

Falla39
That just made me want to go get myself a trailer and find a small town that doesn't have an OP church...