Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

View Poll Results: Are sins forgiven at repentance or baptism?
Repentance 59 81.94%
Baptism 12 16.67%
Unsure 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM

Re: New Doctrine Emerges: NOT Forgiven at Repentan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rutledge View Post
When it is coupled with Baptism, in the Name of the One that died for you.

1st Peter 3:21 and John 3:3-5. What is your take on thiese scriptures?
Then your answer is no.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rutledge View Post
Ye must be born again. How is one born of the water and Spirit?

WE differ big time. Because being born again of the water is Baptism.

Got scripture?
You don't have scripture for the above. Being born of water is not a birth we can do again. If you think Jesus was saying so, then you also believe there are two baptisms, which also goes against scripture that says there is one.

I believe in being baptised, but I don't believe I was born again at baptism. In fact, I've never heard of that belief until coming here.

Born again at baptism? Hmmm...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
You don't have scripture for the above. Being born of water is not a birth we can do again. If you think Jesus was saying so, then you also believe there are two baptisms, which also goes against scripture that says there is one.

I believe in being baptised, but I don't believe I was born again at baptism. In fact, I've never heard of that belief until coming here.

Born again at baptism? Hmmm...
Those would be 2-steppers!
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Lofty, Scientific, and Literal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
So, if sins are forgiven at repentance, but not remitted until baptism, then God really doesn't forgive at repentance, the way I see it. To forgive, but to leave them there as a mark against you, is not true forgiveness.
Strong's says that remission is the pardon of sins as if they were never committed. It's different than forgiveness, but I have to admit, I don't fully understand.

If baptism is the pardon, why aren't we baptized more often? God continues to forgive when we ask, and He forgives, but are they automatically remitted after we are baptized the first time?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyOne View Post
Strong's says that remission is the pardon of sins as if they were never committed. It's different than forgiveness, but I have to admit, I don't fully understand.

If baptism is the pardon, why aren't we baptized more often? God continues to forgive when we ask, and He forgives, but are they automatically remitted after we are baptized the first time?
The writers of the Scriptures dictate the meaning ... not translators ...

they used one word for both forgivenes and remission ... aphesis.

There is no separation. You will not see this in the NIV, ESV, NASB or even in the Spanish RVA

It is for this reason that Bernard, and maybe even, Mizpeh ... have to include repentance + baptism = aphesis/forgiveness/remission ...

to remain true to the Word.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Forever Loved Admin

The Holy Ghost does not inhabit an unclean heart (full of sin), therefore it stands to reason that sins are forgiven at repentance.
Baptism does not wash away our sins. Only the blood of Jesus Christ can do that.
But we must have the blood, water, and Spirit applied to live an overcoming life in this world.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneasttx View Post
The Holy Ghost does not inhabit an unclean heart (full of sin), therefore it stands to reason that sins are forgiven at repentance.
Baptism does not wash away our sins. Only the blood of Jesus Christ can do that.
But we must have the blood, water, and Spirit applied to live an overcoming life in this world.
Ah ... yes .... the Cornelius dilemma ... nor what is quickened to life still be dead. (Acts 10, Romans 8)
Old 09-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Daniel,

Don't be so hard on "M". Truth is many of our Apostolic friends do not know the scriptures or how to defend their belief system.

*hugs*
Rhoni
Rhoni, don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about or was indoctrinated into this belief. I searched it out after I was taught it and I believe it is what the Bible teaches. Dan can be as hard as he wants, I'm not afraid to be labeled. But thank you for your compassionate words.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Rhoni, don't assume I don't know what I'm talking about or was indoctrinated into this belief. I searched it out after I was taught it and I believe it is what the Bible teaches. Dan can be as hard as he wants, I'm not afraid to be labeled. But thank you for your compassionate words.
I think you don't know what you're talking about on this one either. Would love to hear your exegesis on this extreme view.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Ah ... yes .... the Cornelius dilemma ... nor what is quickened to life still be dead. (Acts 10, Romans 8)
Ah, yes, the knife cuts both ways.

According to this theory, the Holy Ghost cannot dwell in an unclean vessel, therefore every time someone sins the HG has to leave, then we repent, and the HG comes back in and so on and so forth.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear