Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

Dear God

The following article is something I wrote for a writing challenge in 2006
for Faithwriters.com
I have worked on it some gramatically.I thought I would post it this am.

Gods Mail

I had this awesome thought while I was praying at church. What if we had to sort through Gods mail? I began to imagine what it might consist of.
Surely it has to mostly be requests.

"Dear God,

I need you to give me the money to pay my utility bill by Friday or they are cutting me off. Love always," Susie.

"Oh God","Oh God",
"Oh God please don't forget about me.You know the bible promises you would never leave me nor forsake me.Love always and I know you are going to stick by your word," Eddie.

"Dear God

Can you give me five hundred dollars by tonight?
Always your servant, " Joan.

Well this really began to sink deep inside my heart until I decided that my prayer time tonight would take a turn for the best. Instead of coming to God belly aching and begging and asking tons of things I decided to come before Him like the bible says in praise and thanksgiving without a hidden agenda.Meaning that I was not going to do all that praise and thanksgiving to then get to the place where my requests could not fail being answered.

Face it all the prayer seminars I have been to could have been easily
summed up in one statement,"How to extract just what you need from Jesus
in five easy steps." Just so this doesn't turn into a Dave Barry type commentary(and hey no disrespect) let me add that I am sure God gets tired of it as well. What if every time you met with someone for coffee they were asking you to give them money or do something for them?
The conversation never turned to good things but always one sided and then without even waiting for your answer they just get up and leave and you even get to pay the bill and leave the tip.
Whew! I feel convicted about all those times the free coffee drinker bore a likeness to me.

So anyway I have decided to pray more positively and spend genuine time talking with my friend Jesus.After all the whole reason I am a christian is not because I want everything handed to me.Its because I want to hold the hand of the most awesome presence and only God in the whole universe.The neat thing is He wants to hold mine back.I am convinced of it.I just need to learn that this relationship is not one sided and Jesus is not my bellboy.Lord forgive all my past blunders I am going to try harder.

Dana Cooper 2006
Old 10-20-2007, 07:18 AM
delete account

I like that. Sometimes we treat Jesus like a 'sugar daddy' instead of a friend and our God. We just think we can manipulate God but he knows the thoughts and intents of our heart.

Thank-you for sharing Sis. Cooper.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 10-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

A sugar Daddy.Thats something I had not thought about.lol...