Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
civil rights, idiot, kentucky, misunderstood, rand paul

Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Re: Poor Misunderstood Rand Paul....

The fact that he is identifying himself as a conservative and Republican does nothing to help the image of conservatives or Republicans.

Honestly, he's playing right into the hands of those who would criticize him as racist.

Similar to how the GOP has so many leaders recently who seem to be unable of remaining faithful or even decent in their personal lives. Mind you, the GOP itself set that standard and presented that standard to America as their standard and many of them fail their own standard miserably while continuing to want America to take them and our party seriously.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
The fact that he is identifying himself as a conservative and Republican does nothing to help the image of conservatives or Republicans.

Honestly, he's playing right into the hands of those who would criticize him as racist.

Similar to how the GOP has so many leaders recently who seem to be unable of remaining faithful or even decent in their personal lives. Mind you, the GOP itself set that standard and presented that standard to America as their standard and many of them fail their own standard miserably while continuing to want America to take them and our party seriously.
Jerymyn,
You are flip-flopping again. LOL! First you are for him and now you are against him.

His whole point is - less government intervention. That is ALL his comments are about. He is not a racist and does not support discrimination in any way. Goodness!

And don't get started on the GOP having moral issues, when you have so much going on with the Democratic party as well. That's hypocritical of you to point fingers at only ONE party. They both have had their share of problems. At least we make them own up to it. The Democrats leave the dishonest thugs in office, we make ours resign.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Jerymyn,
You are flip-flopping again. LOL! First you are for him and now you are against him.

His whole point is - less government intervention. That is ALL his comments are about. He is not a racist and does not support discrimination in any way. Goodness!

And don't get started on the GOP having moral issues, when you have so much going on with the Democratic party as well. That's hypocritical of you to point fingers at only ONE party. They both have had their share of problems. At least we make them own up to it. The Democrats leave the dishonest thugs in office, we make ours resign.
I think you are misunderstanding me.

Let me be clear in stating that I do not count Rand Paul as a racist. I think he is misunderstood. I think if things had gone the way he would have liked it to, then America would be a different place, and I mean different in the bad sense.

I am a Republican registered voter.

Many times, for the sake of argument, I present myself much more liberal than how I truly feel.

I understand his view and I am glad that things did not go "his way" concerning the CRA.

So I don't believe I have flip-flopped.

The only reason anyone can justifiably point fingers at the GOP when it comes to issues of morality is that the GOP presented and continues to present itself to America as "THE PARTY" of morality.

We set ourselves up for the finger pointing.

As far as I know, that SC governor guy is still in office.

Blagojevich is not, though he wasn't removed for adultery.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I think you are misunderstanding me.

Let me be clear in stating that I do not count Rand Paul as a racist. I think he is misunderstood. I think if things had gone the way he would have liked it to, then America would be a different place, and I mean different in the bad sense.

I am a Republican registered voter.

Many times, for the sake of argument, I present myself much more liberal than how I truly feel.

I understand his view and I am glad that things did not go "his way" concerning the CRA.

So I don't believe I have flip-flopped.

The only reason anyone can justifiably point fingers at the GOP when it comes to issues of morality is that the GOP presented and continues to present itself to America as "THE PARTY" of morality.

We set ourselves up for the finger pointing.

As far as I know, that SC governor guy is still in office.

Blagojevich is not, though he wasn't removed for adultery.
I see what you are saying about the GOP claiming to be the "moral" party and not living up to it.
Quote:
PAUL: Well, there's 10 -- there's 10 different -- there's 10 different titles, you know, to the Civil Rights Act, and nine out of 10 deal with public institutions. And I'm absolutely in favor of one deals with private institutions, and had I been around, I would have tried to modify that.
I don't really know what he is saying here and what he would want to modify. I'll have to call his office and see if I can get an answer on that.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I see what you are saying about the GOP claiming to be the "moral" party and not living up to it.

I don't really know what he is saying here and what he would want to modify. I'll have to call his office and see if I can get an answer on that.

Reading between the lines, I'd say that he would not want the CRA to apply to anyone or anything in the private sector at all.

Doesn't the CRA make it against the law for private companies to hire and fire people based solely on race?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Go Dodgers!

I like how his comments on BP were distorted. His opponent was asked on CNN to comment and he ripped RP for saying "accidents happen" to mean RP was pro BP and that we should not fine them when RP readily said BP was already complying with fines and other monies they should pay.

How I interpreted RP's statement was in opposition to Obama's populist rhetoric about big business

Those big businesses are the ones that make jobs. With government jobs it's a dead end street because money to pay for those jobs come from taxes people get from working outside the government and paying into the government.

A person working for the government and paying taxes is not really doing anything

The US is gonna become another Detroit or California the way things are going

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I like how his comments on BP were distorted. His opponent was asked on CNN to comment and he ripped RP for saying "accidents happen" to mean RP was pro BP and that we should not fine them when RP readily said BP was already complying with fines and other monies they should pay.

How I interpreted RP's statement was in opposition to Obama's populist rhetoric about big business

Those big businesses are the ones that make jobs. With government jobs it's a dead end street because money to pay for those jobs come from taxes people get from working outside the government and paying into the government.

A person working for the government and paying taxes is not really doing anything

The US is gonna become another Detroit or California the way things are going
I agree with you as far as the big picture, but events like this is why I WOULD NEVER be for oil digging off of the coast of Florida.

In a way, I am glad the catastrophe happened when it did.

Just when our President started to make the very bad decision of allowing oil digging off of our shores, this happens.

It's tragic, nonetheless and will continue to be very costly for our government and the private citizens.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Jerymyn,

You're right, PO. Rand Paul is a Libertarian like his dad. To understand a Libertarian you have to try and see the world the way they do. They tend to be the most non-pragmatic and most idealistic people around. If the world were a perfect world, I think I'd be a Libertarian too.

In Paul's mind there is no need for government intervention in cases like the Civil Rights Act because discrimination doesn't really exist. Everybody works hard and everybody will just get along if you left them alone. People are good and industrious and everybody will automatically look out for one another without a lot of costly regulation.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
You're right, PO. Rand Paul is a Libertarian like his dad. To understand a Libertarian you have to try and see the world the way they do. They tend to be the most non-pragmatic and most idealistic people around. If the world were a perfect world, I think I'd be a Libertarian too.

In Paul's mind there is no need for government intervention in cases like the Civil Rights Act because discrimination doesn't really exist. Everybody works hard and everybody will just get along if you left them alone. People are good and industrious and everybody will automatically look out for one another without a lot of costly regulation.
I agree with you here. Having said that, I cannot totally align myself as a total party conservative either. Often the conservatives would restrict as much as liberals would restrict, just on different things.
I believe in a more libertarian-conservative model which keeps a good balance between anarchy and legalistic conservatives.
Jeffersonian principles, while not perfect, are very individualist and supports the individual. I would be a Jeffersonian party person, if one existed. Tea party is close. Limited government and individual efforts. This is why the Gov. is afraid of the tea party concept. It limits the government over US people.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowas View Post
I agree with you here. Having said that, I cannot totally align myself as a total party conservative either. Often the conservatives would restrict as much as liberals would restrict, just on different things.
I believe in a more libertarian-conservative model which keeps a good balance between anarchy and legalistic conservatives.
Jeffersonian principles, while not perfect, are very individualist and supports the individual. I would be a Jeffersonian party person, if one existed. Tea party is close. Limited government and individual efforts. This is why the Gov. is afraid of the tea party concept. It limits the government over US people.
http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco...ars-per-capita

I agree... and concerning Washington DC - check out this chart from Statemaster.com. Since DC has no significant manufacturing, agriculture, or any of the other conventional means of generating capital - just how do they generate so much capital? No other state even produces half as much, per capita.

It's all done through the levying of tribute. Our nation's capital is a huge cash sucking machine akin to Imperial Rome in the ancient world and the Papacy of the Middle Ages and Renaissance.

The rebellions of Rome's provinces and the Protestant Reformation were all attempts to break up the trains of wagons and carriages carting off to Rome all of the wealth produced by the locals. Threatening those silver and gold laden caravans who produce a merciless military strike for the capitol. Just look at what happened to the Hussites when they tried to keep a bit of their silver "at home." People were burned alive as examples of the ruling hegemony's power.