Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sis. jill View Post
My first thoughts as I read this article were, 32 people just slipped into eternity. I wonder if there was someone that told them truth. I wonder if they sat next to an apostolic who was so busy with day to day life that they did not have time to share this blessed gospel with them.
This is, of course, what should concern us instead of behaving like the world that has no hope (see 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). There were other people in America who slipped into eternity yesterday who may also very well have never obeyed the gospel call. Why are these 32 deaths worthy of our attention and not the others?

Quote:
Today I was praying about our prayer meetings at church and lack of attendance. I was trying to find a way to make ladies prayer convenient for everyone involved. God spoke to me and said winning the lost and revival is not about convenience but rather it is about sacrifice. We need to picture our lost loved ones slipping into the pit of hell screaming and crying that they would have one more chance. Looking up, and us looking down into their eyes and trying to explain why we were too busy to take 45 minutes out of our week to intercede in unity to stand in the gap between heaved and hell for souls.
Amen!

Quote:
I want revival more than anything else in my life. I want to eat, drink and sleep a passion for souls. I want to be so committed to God and souls that if I lose my life doing it, so be it. There is nothing in life more important than rescuing souls from the pit of hell. We need to all weep for the souls that have been lost today, not just in the shooting but in our towns and our own neighborhoods. Have we done everything possible to win the lost or are we letting them slip right through to hell without a fight?
I agree and the answer to your question at the end is that we haven't.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
Excuse me???? Before its time???? The BIBLE says it is appointed unto man once to die and after that the judgment. No one dies before the appointed time.

We need to stop thinking like this wicked world and start thinking Biblically. Go look at what Jesus said in Luke 13:1-3.

Yes, the shooting was tragic but so were all the other, albeit unreported, shootings that occurred yesterday. Why are these people more deserving of our attention than all the other people who were killed yesterday?
Chan...you always have a way of metaphorically urinating on everyone elses good will.

Anyways, why? We should morn every senseless killing and tragedy, however this gets our attention especially because
It was a senseless act by a lone gunman
It was young kids involved
It happened on a school campus
The doors were locked and nothing was taken...it was intentional mass murder
Which leads to the next point...it was mass murder. It's always more shocking to most of the normal crowd here when several souls go out into eternity at the same time than just one...That does not mean we don't mourn for the 1
I have experience death in my family..some were more profound than others. Recently a family in our church experienced a death by suicide...that was more profound than had she been in a car accident.

Can you add something to this discussion other than "out of the wickeness of your heart you say that" or "why be like this wicked world" when people are griefed over such a senseless mass murder Chan? Do you have ANY sensitivity at all? If so please show us. Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Resident PeaceMaker

This really is sad, and having two daughters this sort of thing really makes one think.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

Romans 12:9 - Romans 12:21 (KJV) 9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Chan...you always have a way of metaphorically urinating on everyone elses good will.
Great turn of a phrase, my Tin Headed Friend!
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:46 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
Great turn of a phrase, my Tin Headed Friend!
I think the more common term is raining on their parade!!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I think the more common term is raining on their parade!!!!
Actually the common word here does start with a P but I don't think it's a parade......

Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
Actually the common word here does start with a P but I don't think it's a parade......
I know....but I'm a lady!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
It's not good will if it's based in worldly thinking.

Quote:
Anyways, why? We should morn every senseless killing and tragedy,
Should we mourn any of them? We should mourn simply because it is a senseless killing and because it shows us just how utterly fallen this world is. Of course, is any killing "senseless" or does it make "sense" in the context of a fallen world utterly given over to sin and Satan?

Quote:
however this gets our attention especially because
It was a senseless act by a lone gunman
There were other senseless acts yesterday elsewhere in America and probably by lone gunmen.
Quote:
It was young kids involved
They weren't young kids, they were adults.
Quote:
It happened on a school campus
It was a college campus but why is that somehow more worthy of our attention than if it had happened in a parking lot or a baseball stadium or on a street corner or in someone's bedroom?
Quote:
The doors were locked and nothing was taken...it was intentional mass murder
Well, the first two deaths seemed to be from a domestic dispute. Would it have been somehow less tragic if the killer hadn't chained some of the doors of the building? Did he lock the classroom door where the bulk of the shooting took place (I didn't hear that he did)? Why are these deaths more worthy of our attention than the young child who gets shot in a drive-by shooting? Why are these deaths more worthy of our attention than a bus load of Israelis being blown up?

Quote:
Which leads to the next point...it was mass murder. It's always more shocking to most of the normal crowd here when several souls go out into eternity at the same time than just one...
Yes, and how about the numerous mass murders that happen in the Middle East at the hands of Muslim terrorists? Are they not worthy of our attention?

Quote:
That does not mean we don't mourn for the 1
But the one goes unreported as if the media is telling us the one is not worthy of our attention!

Quote:
I have experience death in my family..some were more profound than others. Recently a family in our church experienced a death by suicide...that was more profound than had she been in a car accident.
But there's a difference between these and the shootings at Virginia Tech because you had a personal relationship (of varying degrees) with these folks.

Quote:
Can you add something to this discussion other than "out of the wickeness of your heart you say that" or "why be like this wicked world" when people are griefed over such a senseless mass murder Chan? Do you have ANY sensitivity at all? If so please show us. Thanks
The point that you and others here are still missing in your so-called "compassion" for those students is that we aren't like the world. We're not supposed to think like the world. Jesus gave us an example of the appropriate response when He corrected His disciples after they called His attention to the tragedy of the Galileans whose blood Pilate mingled with the sacrifices. Jesus then brought up another tragedy, the deaths caused after the tower at Siloam fell. The deaths were tragic (isn't every death "tragic" in some way?) but what was Jesus' response to them? (The answer is in Luke 13:1-3). Notice what Paul said in 1 Thessalonians 4:13, "But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope." Yes, he was writing to the Thessalonians about Christians who die but he still shows us that we are not like the world and we're not to respond to things the way the world does. In my first post in this thread, I asked what I asked in order to get us to look at the larger picture. Yes, it's tragic that these 33 people were murdered yesterday but it is not somehow more tragic that they were murdered than the tragedy of all the other people who were murdered yesterday. Now, does that mean we don't, as the scripture tells us, "weep with those who weep"? No. But, again, why are the deaths of these 33 more worthy of our attention than those of the other people around the country (and, indeed, around the world) who were murdered yesterday?

You and others here may think it's insensitive of me to look at this in the context of Luke 13:1-3 but I don't see you and others here looking at this from a biblical perspective. You're all responding to this based on your emotions. The heart (the seat of emotions) is deceitful above all things, according to Jeremiah. Excuse me for not basing my response to the event on my emotions and for choosing to base my response on God's word!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan View Post
You know what happens when you assume, don't you?
If this is your attempt at wittiness; you need some fresh material!!