Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjones View Post
Sis,

I love black gospel AND Southern Gospel. right now my CD player in my car has the two CD set from Bishop Patterson, the CD of the choir from the Full Gospel Baptist Fellowship Mass Choir, Kirk Franklin (not sure which one), and the two CD set from AQUA which is almost totally Apostolic Southern Gospel quartets.

Other than Hip Hop and rock gospel there is not much I don't like.
I've yet to see anyone actually explain what makes something Christian rock or rock gospel and others not.

When I first came into the UPC over 20 years ago and they were singing "This train is bound for glory" and other tunes the first thing that I thought of was "Wow...that beat is punk"
Old 02-17-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I've yet to see anyone actually explain what makes something Christian rock or rock gospel and others not.

When I first came into the UPC over 20 years ago and they were singing "This train is bound for glory" and other tunes the first thing that I thought of was "Wow...that beat is punk"
Lance was the Man!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 PM
I need a Triple Espresso, NOW!

Quote:

IMO christian rock is to me, like heavy metal..lots of distorted guitars and just really wild music....On the same note, much of the black gospel world , like tonex , could be considered rock.....they have some wild music!!! but thats JMO

I never met a chocolate I didn't like!

*sigh* I did nothing yesterday.... I wasn't finished so I did nothing again today!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:30 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Originally Posted by Praxeas

Sounds like you must have been in a service with Lance Appleton...
Old 02-17-2007, 04:32 PM

Flashback ....Junior Camp in Berne, New York .... Lance's son, Eric, knees me in the groin .... in a game of touch football .....

Yowser!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyChocolate View Post
IMO christian rock is to me, like heavy metal..lots of distorted guitars and just really wild music....On the same note, much of the black gospel world , like tonex , could be considered rock.....they have some wild music!!! but thats JMO
See...I still don't know what wild music is...I mean a visitor for the first time to an average Pentecostal church might find both our music and worship wild.....the fast drum beat is gonna be different to a Roman Catholic or a Mormon and fact they might call it rock..

I've heard guitar with some distortion done very very tastefully and never felt the Holy Spirit leave that service
Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 PM
philjones

Quote:

By my definition it would be the music of the Stryper, Switchfoot and some of the harder head banging so-called gospel music.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckstadt View Post
Originally Posted by Praxeas

Sounds like you must have been in a service with Lance Appleton...
lol...no actually. Every other UPC I went to...even those that bill themselves as Ultra Con have the fast rock beat. They just don't call it rock for some odd reason...perhaps it's to distance themselves from other churches they feel have compromised?
Old 02-17-2007, 04:38 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
lol...no actually. Every other UPC I went to...even those that bill themselves as Ultra Con have the fast rock beat. They just don't call it rock for some odd reason...perhaps it's to distance themselves from other churches they feel have compromised?
Not sure where you come down on this subject. I actually do not care about the beat. I care about the lyrics.

Much like MLK Jr, I do not care about the color of a man's skin, I care about the content of a man's character.

Same with a song...
Old 02-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjones View Post
By my definition it would be the music of the Stryper, Switchfoot and some of the harder head banging so-called gospel music.
Even Stryper can do slower tamer stuff and still sound like rock...On another thread they said rock and roll was wrong. I thought...rock and roll? Good Grief everything we do is essentially rock and roll lol..

is it the music the do or is it the spandex?

I mean I don't doubt there are some Stryper songs, just as there were some Petra songs that can be done in church. Some stuff is more useful for just entertainment and listening pleasure but others more towards corporate worship