Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

UPCI by-laws

I have read the UPCIs articles of faith, I guess those are supposed to be the by-laws, but I need information on business meetings. Are they supposed to be announced three times, or three weeks in advance. The articles of faith don't include that form what I have seen. If you have a website where I could read them that would be good to.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: UPCI by-laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmds6638 View Post
I have read the UPCIs articles of faith, I guess those are supposed to be the by-laws, but I need information on business meetings. Are they supposed to be announced three times, or three weeks in advance. The articles of faith don't include that form what I have seen.
AOF are not bylaws

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Churches make up their own bylaws about when to have meetings and how much notice is required. Each church has it written in their own unique constitution. The UPCI does not dictate these sorts of things. The local church itself does that.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Churches make up their own bylaws about when to have meetings and how much notice is required. Each church has it written in their own unique constitution. The UPCI does not dictate these sorts of things. The local church itself does that.
Some State laws have requirements though place upon non profits.

If you are talking about the By-Laws of the UPCI, that is totally different then General Church Administration.

UPCI By-Laws would be things such as: Due Payment Schedules, Amount, District Elections, etc.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Accepts all friends requests

The UPCI Manual has a section called "Local Church Government" which used to have a heading "Recommended Local Church Constitution..." or words to that effect. When incorporating, the local church (and every other corporation in the state) must have a set of by-laws to which it adheres. These by-laws can be amended and changed by a vote of the members of the incorporated entity but they must be followed or legal ramifications can result.

If you are not certain what by-laws your church had adopted at its founding, and if it's a UPC church, there's a reasonable likelihood that they adopted the "Recommended By-Laws" from the UPC Manual. The consequences for being wrong about this would depend upon just how dicey your local situation is.

The UPC's "Local Church Government" states that a meeting "must be announced publicly in at least three services," and "the first announcement being at least 10 days before the meeting."
Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
The UPCI Manual has a section called "Local Church Government" which used to have a heading "Recommended Local Church Constitution..." or words to that effect. When incorporating, the local church (and every other corporation in the state) must have a set of by-laws to which it adheres. These by-laws can be amended and changed by a vote of the members of the incorporated entity but they must be followed or legal ramifications can result.

If you are not certain what by-laws your church had adopted at its founding, and if it's a UPC church, there's a reasonable likelihood that they adopted the "Recommended By-Laws" from the UPC Manual. The consequences for being wrong about this would depend upon just how dicey your local situation is.

The UPC's "Local Church Government" states that a meeting "must be announced publicly in at least three services," and "the first announcement being at least 10 days before the meeting."
Bump for mattmds6638.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

I have attended a UPCI church and we havent had any kind of financial statements or business mtg for the members of the church in at least 15 yrs. Dont you all think it would be beneficial to the pastor to have one so nothing looks suspicious...Im certainly not accusing of him but I would think he would want to do it to protect himself.Im not speaking of needing to know his salary or anything like that. I feel that is his private business and none of ours.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImThankful View Post
I have attended a UPCI church and we havent had any kind of financial statements or business mtg for the members of the church in at least 15 yrs. Dont you all think it would be beneficial to the pastor to have one so nothing looks suspicious...Im certainly not accusing of him but I would think he would want to do it to protect himself.Im not speaking of needing to know his salary or anything like that. I feel that is his private business and none of ours.
Actually, if the pastor is getting any salary from the church then it IS the church's business or at least whatever board is in place.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

It is generally concidered a safety issue to have a church by-laws and regularly scheduled business meetings, held at least once a year. This protects the church in the case of a lawsuit or legal problem. This is why all churches should have them.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered Member

Our pastor gets all of the tithes so he isnt officially set on a salary at all. I would just think he would want to hold some sort of business mtg yrly so as not to have any so called secrets. I dont feel he is doing anything wrong whatsoever. Im simply saying that way no one would think he has anything to hide. Does most churches hold these mtgs yrly?