Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Does The Soul Sleep ?

When the physical body dies does the soul sleep awaiting a final judgement ?
What say ye about this ?
Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Re: Does The Soul Sleep ?

If the soul sleeps does how does it depart the physical body and where would it sleep at ?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

The psalmist David noted that the eternal invisible soul of man enters into a temporary suspended state of animation, called "sleep," when he wrote - "Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death." (Psalm 13:3)

Job said - "But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost (i.e., the "spirit," or "breath of life"), and where is he?... So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep." (Job 14:10, 12)

Daniel wrote (speaking of the resurrection of the body and soul of man) - "And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt." (Daniel 12:2)

In light of these scriptural passages, as well as many others which disclose the condition and location of the eternal invisible soul of man following the death of the physical body wherein he dwells, I am persuaded that at the moment when God causes the "breath of life" to be removed from man's fleshly tabernacle, the soul returns to that same state of existence in which it had reality prior to the beginning of its life, that is to say, a temporary condition of suspended liveliness, which the language of the Bible refers to as a "sleep of death." This, in my humble opinion, is in keeping with the righteousness by which God's actions are determined.

Now I am sure there will be some (yea, perhaps many) that would immediately refute this conclusion, even quoting Paul's words of II Corinthians 5:8 as scriptural evidence in support thereof, however, I believe it worthy of note that Paul was writing of the circumstances which were to follow his own death (as well as all of the other apostles) and not all of the saints of God. Were this true then it would violate the "equality of justice" (i.e., "righteousness") which God decreed from the beginning as that principle which would form the basis for all of His actions (see Psalm 89:14 & 97:2).

An extremely interesting topic, Brother Scott, and one that is worthy of study, thought and discussion among brethren, and this because of the disparity of beliefs surrounding it which prevails within the church today.

Thanks for the opportunity to tender my "two cents worth."
Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Resident PeaceMaker

Lafon thanks for your two cents worth,I figured maybe more would respond.
I will give a ear to anyone who explains their view.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Don't ask.

When you die, a translucent copy of yourself, with wings and a halo, drifts upward, holding a harp. I know: I've seen it in cartoons many times.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM
mary

I don't think that Jesus would have used the parable of the rich man and Lazarus if parts of it were untrue. The rich man's soul was not asleep-he was in torment. Lazarus was not asleep, but rested in Abraham's bosom. Jesus also stated to the disciples that Lazarus was asleep, when he was dead. I believe by that Jesus was stating that his soul entered into a place of rest. Sleep was not a euphamism for death at that time, because the disciples didn't understand-thought He was speaking literally. Even in the Old Testament, I Sam 28:15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? would indicate that Samuel was at rest after his death. Part of this "rest" may be that we do not know all that is happening of evil in the world... Lazarus didn't answer the rich man-Abraham did. But that passage may also indicate the rich man's pride, in that he would speak to Abraham but not to Lazarus even in death.

For people to go straight to Heaven (where God's throne is) or Hell (where the devil will be) upon death seems odd to me, since at the end, Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

So I don't really have an answer, but I believe that at least some people will be at rest after their deaths, not asleep necessarily, but at peace from the troubles they faced while alive.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
I don't think that Jesus would have used the parable of the rich man and Lazarus if parts of it were untrue. The rich man's soul was not asleep-he was in torment. Lazarus was not asleep, but rested in Abraham's bosom.
I would be quick to agree that Jesus would never state something which was untrue, however, as you have asserted, the parable of the rich man and Lazarus is just that...... a parable, and therefore should not be construed as a depiction of an event which had already taken place at some previous moment. In fact, seeing that even Satan and all of the rebellious angels have not yet been cast into the lake of fire, then to assume that a certain rich man is presently there would represent a clear violation of the equality of justice which is truly what "righteousness" represents.

In addition to this, if it be true that a certain rich man was presently experiencing the torment of the flames of the lake of fire, then such punishment would represent a penalty which God (who is Spirit) had imposed, and that would clearly conflict with Jesus' statement recorded in John 5:22 ("For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son").

Quote:
So I don't really have an answer, but I believe that at least some people will be at rest after their deaths, not asleep necessarily, but at peace from the troubles they faced while alive.
Opinions which are not, nor cannot be fully substantiated by scriptural context, have no value whatsoever. Our beliefs, and the things which we publish as truth, must be based exclusively upon the sound word of the Lord. Should you tender scriptural support for your stated beliefs I would gladly consider their merits.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
When you die, a translucent copy of yourself, with wings and a halo, drifts upward, holding a harp. I know: I've seen it in cartoons many times.

Of course the soul sleeps!...

Haven't you seen them on a sunday morning, about forty five minutes into Pastor's sermon, sun shining in, a little warm in the church,

Soul sleep all the way!

Land of Nod,

This is the rest wherewith He causes the weary to rest...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Loren Adkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
For people to go straight to Heaven (where God's throne is) or Hell (where the devil will be) upon death seems odd to me, since at the end, Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

This is the way most see death missourimary, that we are asleep till the resurection as per Paul in the new testemant 1 Cor. 15:51 the question is has the resurection happened or is it ye to come? If the resurection has happened already as some of us beleive then when we die we go strait to heaven or the lake of fire.

[QUOTE=Lafon;758464]I would be quick to agree that Jesus would never state something which was untrue, however, as you have asserted, the parable of the rich man and Lazarus is just that...... a parable, and therefore should not be construed as a depiction of an event which had already taken place at some previous moment.

Well then what should we do with it?

In fact, seeing that even Satan and all of the rebellious angels have not yet been cast into the lake of fire, then to assume that a certain rich man is presently there would represent a clear violation of the equality of justice which is truly what "righteousness" represents.

What then is death, and hell which shall all be cast into the lake of fire. is it not possible for hell to be a place of torment?

In addition to this, if it be true that a certain rich man was presently experiencing the torment of the flames of the lake of fire, then such punishment would represent a penalty which God (who is Spirit) had imposed, and that would clearly conflict with Jesus' statement recorded in John 5:22 ("For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son").

Your hermanutics I think that is the word lol have some fault Jesus is God therefore judgement could be made before the Jesus walking on the earth. God is not held to time as we are.
as I read some of the responses in this forum I see just how limited mans mind is. This is not refering to just this thread but all I realize just how loving God has to be to save us and keep us saved.
Just a thought I felt like expressing sorry

Last edited by Godsdrummer; 06-09-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM
mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafon View Post
Opinions which are not, nor cannot be fully substantiated by scriptural context, have no value whatsoever.
Lafon, SH didn't ask for absolute scriptural truth. He asked "What say ye on this matter?" In otherwords, he asked for our opinions.

Godsdrummer, thanks. Good points.