Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-16-2018, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

Re: Do we have to pay tithes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
All I can say is LOL. This will go on forever, if you are fine with not paying tithes I'm ok with it too! You like it I love it, I'm not wasting no more time on this subject. God bless you, in your endeavors.
Brother, lay off beating that horse. He's not dead, he just needs a drink. As far as tithes go, you'll be back is my guess.

God bless.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Brother, lay off beating that horse. He's not dead, he just needs a drink. As far as tithes go, you'll be back is my guess.

God bless.
It's purposeless I'm going to keep on paying my tithes and you do whatever you like. You are the only one that has to answer for it.

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 05-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
It's purposeless I'm going to keep on paying my tithes and you do whatever you like. You are the only one that has to answer for it.
See? You are already back. You just can't stay away. Admit it.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Quote:
You seem to have found a balance. You are not as wrong as most. I have certainly been more wrong than you are in the past, so don't think I'm putting you down.
I don't know were I'm wrong at all on this. Forget calling it a tithe, the question is, will a christian give more than 10% of his energy and resources to a God that he loves. I am not commanding 10%, but I am saying that for someone who loves the Lord they are going to overall exceed 10%. They will give sometimes until it hurts and it is not going to always be money. You may say that is not tithing and I will agree. It exceeds tithing.

Quote:
I learned the truth about tithing by studying the Bible. Nobody taught it to me initially. When I began to understand the truth, I asked questions to preachers that receive tithes, assuming that they would defend it with scripture. They couldn't.
I have learned alot here on AFF and also many antitithe teachers, but I found that tithing is not something we do, but it is something we are. The Church is kind of like a tithe in itself to the Lord we belong to God we are his portion. We are not simply to tithe, but we are to 100% give all to God.

Quote:
Tithes is really a matter of truth and lies. When preachers preach tithes, the members assume that it comes from the Bible. They usually accept what the preacher says as Bible, and if the Bible says otherwise, that they misunderstand the scripture. They often assume that they are incapable of "rightly dividing the word".
Where does the Bible say not to tithe? I have not found one scripture that made me feel like I shouldn't tithe. It was people that made me rethink my position on tithes. I used to just assume that aside from the first givers in Jerusalem, the early church just tithed. When I was asked to find a NT scripture of early church tithing, I found none. Instead, I see NT people selling all and laying it at the apostles feet. So instead, of people saying I don't have to give 10%, they should be saying that I can't get by with just giving 10%.

Quote:
The preacher who preaches tithes will almost never preach the truth, sometimes because he doesn't know the truth, and sometimes because he knows telling the truth will cost him money (something that was never tithed in the Bible, isn't that ironic?).
Painting with a broad brush there. Tithing has been a part of church culture for so long, it is hard for some to wrap their head around that it is not a NT statute. Many of the apostolic churches I grew up at, the pastor may have not have had a 6th grade education. He couldn't pronounce the words right, but he knew what Jesus did for him. Tithing was what he was taught and tithing was what he preached. It was not meant to be untruthful at all. I find that we are gettting far more Biblical literate, but far less consecrated unto the Lord.

Quote:
There is much said about the stingy saints that do not want to give tithes. Most believe it is just a ploy to not give anything. But there is another perspective that you may have never thought of.

We preach against drunkeness, because drunkards cannot go to heaven. Are we being mean to preach to them and convict them of their sin of drunkeness? Or is that "preaching the truth in love"?

Why then should we believe that a preacher that has no scripture for teaching that the tithe is on income be allowed to continue in false doctrine?
Lying will take you to the same place that drunkeness will, according to the scripture. So are we preaching the truth in love? . . . or as some say that we are . . . Are we just being stingy?
It is dishonest to preach something you don't agree with . If a person thinks it is wrong to teach tithing he shouldn't. Most tithers believe that tithing is a bigger principle than just OT law. Again, I agree that tithing is not mandated to anyone outside of mosaic law and there is explicit directions regarding it. I still believe people can be hermenuetically incorrect and still be right by God in their motivation.

Quote:
There are far more people in danger of hellfire in our Apostolic churches from lying about tithes, than there are for being drunkards, in my opinion.

I will have to leave that up to God. I don't know of anyone I feel is going to hell soley for their stance on tithing. Drunkardness on the other hand was one of first things the Lord delivered me of a long time ago. Praise God!!!

Quote:
There seems to be a belief that truth doesn't matter, as long as the church profits from the lie. Is there any scripture for this?
I don't think most tithe teachers view it that way. Tradition is very strong and God will be the judge.

Quote:
Are pastors given a pass? . . . Or will they be held to a higher standard?

You know, "to whom much is given, much is required" sort of thing
It is sad to see ministers fleecing the flock. I am not an anti-tither but I love my brother and sister in the Lord. When they are down I want to help them up and not try to add insult to their injury.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post

I don't know were I'm wrong at all on this. Forget calling it a tithe, the question is, will a christian give more than 10% of his energy and resources to a God that he loves. I am not commanding 10%, but I am saying that for someone who loves the Lord they are going to overall exceed 10%. They will give sometimes until it hurts and it is not going to always be money. You may say that is not tithing and I will agree. It exceeds tithing.
I can tell that you have good intentions, and that you are sincere, however . . . Some people who love the Lord are going to require HELP FROM the church. Therefore their contribution would be much less than ten percent, and this is entirely biblical. Then you have the situation of the pastor that takes the tithe from the church. Even if he tithes his net giving will be negative. What about him?

Quote:
1. I have learned alot here on AFF and also many antitithe teachers, but 2. I found that tithing is not something we do, but it is something we are. The Church is kind of like a tithe in itself to the Lord we belong to God we are his portion. 3. We are not simply to tithe, but we are to 100% give all to God.
1.Firstly, isn't it ironic that you are learning a lot on AFF? Instead of from the Bible? . . . Or from preachers? Secondly, I don't really consider myself an anti-tithe teacher. I know some will find this amusing, however I consider myself to be a teacher of the truth on tithing. There is a difference.

2. I am interested in how you can possibly support this with scripture.

3. Ditto. Explain your reasoning to me for this statement. Please don't think that I'm trying to be argumentative. I'm just trying to understand how you think. Taken literally, this would mean that we would donate ALL of our paycheck to the church. Please clarify.

Quote:
1. Where does the Bible say not to tithe? I have not found one scripture that made me feel like I shouldn't tithe.2. It was people that made me rethink my position on tithes. I used to just assume that aside from the first givers in Jerusalem, the early church just tithed. When I was asked to find a NT scripture of early church tithing, I found none. 3. Instead, I see NT people selling all and laying it at the apostles feet. So instead, of people saying I don't have to give 10%, they should be saying that I can't get by with just giving 10%.

1. The Bible does not say not to tithe. It does say to tithe, and it is very specific about what to tithe and what is to be done with the tithe. Some preachers (okay most, nearly all even) want to change what God said to tithe, and what the tithe is to be used for, and who is the recipient of the tithe, that is where the problems begin. Have you watched the Greg Riggen video? Some preachers want to send us to hell for NOT tithing, and can be very creative about manipulating scriptures to do so.

2. There is something fundamentally wrong with a doctrine that causes most people to believe something that is not true. Why do you think they believe this way? Who should be responsible for correcting false doctrine? Should it be the pastor? He is too busy trying to shore up the false doctrine with more twisted scripture and tradition of men (typically).

3. The money that was laid at the feet of the apostles was to be used for what? Was it for the pastor only? Here is the context.

Bible, King James Version

Acts.4 Verses 32 to 35

[32] And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
[33] And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
[34] Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
[35] And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Every one that had need was distributed to. This is a little different from the tithe, right? No, it is VERY different from the tithe!

Quote:
1. Painting with a broad brush there. 2. Tithing has been a part of church culture for so long, it is hard for some to wrap their head around that it is not a NT statute. Many of the apostolic churches I grew up at, the pastor may have not have had a 6th grade education. He couldn't pronounce the words right, but he knew what Jesus did for him.3. Tithing was what he was taught and tithing was what he preached. It was not meant to be untruthful at all. 4. I find that we are gettting far more Biblical literate, but far less consecrated unto the Lord.
1. Painting with a broad brush is sometimes appropriate. Have you ever tried painting a barn door with a sharpie?

2. Probably not as long as you believe, if you are referring to tithing money. However, I understand your point, it just doesn't make it any more right.

3. I understand. My question is, why? If we agree that the version of tithing is not biblical, why is it still taught? And how did we get to this point of believing doctrine that is false? And what are we going to do about it? Send people to hell?

4. You may be right about this, however the idea that more knowledge leads to less consecration is a faulty premise. Does "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" ring a bell? We should certainly not promote false doctrine on the premise that it leads to a less consecrated walk with God, because I'm certain that is NOT the case.

Quote:
It is dishonest to preach something you don't agree with . If a person thinks it is wrong to teach tithing he shouldn't. Most tithers believe that tithing is a bigger principle than just OT law. Again, I agree that tithing is not mandated to anyone outside of mosaic law and there is explicit directions regarding it. I still believe people can be hermenuetically incorrect and still be right by God in their motivation.
I agree with a lot of this, however in reference to the statement in bold above, wouldn't it be best to believe what is true and biblical and commanded by God, as opposed to something that man has come up with?

Quote:
It is sad to see ministers fleecing the flock. I am not an anti-tither but I love my brother and sister in the Lord. When they are down I want to help them up and not try to add insult to their injury.
I agree with this and I really appreciate your concern for the sheep. I am not asking that you become an anti-tither, I would much rather that you become a teacher of truth concerning tithes. Somebody needs to tell the truth.

If it is not you, then whom will it be?

If not now, then when?

Please do not think that I am being condescending. I appreciate your honest heart and your willingness to accept truth when it is presented with supporting scripture. I rejoice with you that you have overcome alcoholism and I appreciate your testimony.

May God richly bless you, (I'm sure he has, and does, and will).