Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Re: Tithing…Is it a command?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherHall View Post
Ye do err knowing not the Scriptures....it is written,

Acts 15:20
But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
I will stand corrected on that one. I think you've stretched the term fornicator a bit, but definitely you are correct on the Acts account.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes,I am one of them

Acts 15 gives no command to the Gentiles for tithing..what a perfect oppourtunity to teach Gentiles but Paul was given no such instruction to go and teach them anything about it.the NT is about giving and giving from the heart.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Saved by Grace

Interesting note from another AFF thread

A new book, co-authored by researcher George Barna and Frank Viola, contends that many of the practices of the conventional church do not have a biblical foundation, but are based on pagan practices adopted by Christians in the second century or later.

For example the book, Pagan Christianity? Exploring the Roots of Our Christian Practices, claims that:

The early church met in homes, and that church buildings were not constructed until about 327 A.D. during the reign of the Roman emperor Constantine.
The pulpit came from Greek culture and was used by speakers during public debates.
The idea of preaching a sermon came from the Greek orators late in the second century.
A pastor was not seen as the official leader of the body of believers until the second century and the practice of ordination was based upon the prevailing Roman custom of appointing men to public office.
According to George Barna, the purpose of the book is not to criticize the church, but to "give people the freedom to re-think many modern church practices." "Often, people feel as if their worship and ministry are confined to what is routinely done because those patterns have a biblical basis or mandate," said Barna. "But when you research the origins of church practices, and study the practices of the early church, you discover that most of our current church practices have ancient cultural origins, with no biblical basis."
The book, which also addresses such practices as altar calls, the pastoral prayer, tithing and the use of church bulletins, has received mixed reviews. (from another thread on AFF)

interesting.

One other note, David Bernard wrote 3 volumes on the history of chirsitian doctrine, over 1000 pages, has anyone read it? he goes into basically every major doctrine in the apostolic church, yet tithing is no where to be found.
Why? I think the answer is obvious, it came from church councils.

I am not against tithing, I am against tithing being taught as mandatory, or more plainly, obligatory, or cumpolsory(sp?). Or being tied to salvation.

Men and bretheren, what must we do? Repent, be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and you shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost. Praise God i have been born again. Whoa, except you pay 10%of your income (gross or net?) please disregaurd your new birth experience, you are still lost.

This make alot of sense.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes,I am one of them

Re: Interesting note from another AFF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
A new book, co-authored by researcher George Barna and Frank Viola, contends that many of the practices of the conventional church do not have a biblical foundation, but are based on pagan practices adopted by Christians in the second century or later.

For example the book, Pagan Christianity? Exploring the Roots of Our Christian Practices, claims that:

The early church met in homes, and that church buildings were not constructed until about 327 A.D. during the reign of the Roman emperor Constantine.
The pulpit came from Greek culture and was used by speakers during public debates.
The idea of preaching a sermon came from the Greek orators late in the second century.
A pastor was not seen as the official leader of the body of believers until the second century and the practice of ordination was based upon the prevailing Roman custom of appointing men to public office.
According to George Barna, the purpose of the book is not to criticize the church, but to "give people the freedom to re-think many modern church practices." "Often, people feel as if their worship and ministry are confined to what is routinely done because those patterns have a biblical basis or mandate," said Barna. "But when you research the origins of church practices, and study the practices of the early church, you discover that most of our current church practices have ancient cultural origins, with no biblical basis."
The book, which also addresses such practices as altar calls, the pastoral prayer, tithing and the use of church bulletins, has received mixed reviews. (from another thread on AFF)

interesting.

One other note, David Bernard wrote 3 volumes on the history of chirsitian doctrine, over 1000 pages, has anyone read it? he goes into basically every major doctrine in the apostolic church, yet tithing is no where to be found.
Why? I think the answer is obvious, it came from church councils.

I am not against tithing, I am against tithing being taught as mandatory, or more plainly, obligatory, or cumpolsory(sp?). Or being tied to salvation.

Men and bretheren, what must we do? Repent, be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and you shall recieve the gift of the Holy Ghost. Praise God i have been born again. Whoa, except you pay 10%of your income (gross or net?) please disregaurd your new birth experience, you are still lost.

This make alot of sense.

I am also against tithing being taught as madatory or as salvational.If a person wants to tithe..God Bless them and may the Lord honor you.But for the pulpit to say it is a heavn or hell issue is wrong and un-scriptural.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicTexas View Post
I am also against tithing being taught as madatory or as salvational.If a person wants to tithe..God Bless them and may the Lord honor you.But for the pulpit to say it is a heavn or hell issue is wrong and un-scriptural.
In my opinion, tithing is like sabbath keeping, circumcision and kosher food laws. At one time these things were required but that was part of an old covenant that has been done away with. However, if someone wants to voluntarily practice some of these things, he/she is free to do so but should not judge or look down upon someone who does not practice them.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes,I am one of them

Talking Re: Interesting note from another AFF thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
In my opinion, tithing is like sabbath keeping, circumcision and kosher food laws. At one time these things were required but that was part of an old covenant that has been done away with. However, if someone wants to voluntarily practice some of these things, he/she is free to do so but should not judge or look down upon someone who does not practice them.
If only the church had your view..But I can hear it now...If no one tithes..How will we pay the rent?..well..perhaps we should not be in such a expensive building anyway? I do not recall reading where the Apostles had a mortage to meet as they met in homes..think about it..No overhead,no headaches,simple meetings,simple giving..talk about fellowship..
Old 03-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If only the church had your view..But I can hear it now...If no one tithes..How will we pay the rent?..well..perhaps we should not be in such a expensive building anyway? I do not recall reading where the Apostles had a mortage to meet as they met in homes..think about it..No overhead,no headaches,simple meetings,simple giving..talk about fellowship..
While I do agree with you that the first question is "how will we pay the rent" by most preachers, your answer carries with it the poverty mentality that permeates the church.

If Pastor's would live by the same faith they want their congregants to live by they would find that God has no problem funding His work in an overflowing way. We are not to put pressure on man, but on God.

Instead of learning how to walk in the faith that actually receives, so many are trying to figure out how they can downsize so that it's easier.

Ministry is not easy, nor is it cheap.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Saved by Grace

Quote:
If only the church had your view..But I can hear it now...If no one tithes..How will we pay the rent?
How come tithing advocates never bring up churches of Christ, methodist, or jehovah's witnesses? None of these groups tithe, but they survive. not to mention apostolic churches that don't teach tithing. There is an apostolic church in my area that doesn't teach tithing and has virtually no fellowship with other apostolic churches, and not because they don't want the fellowship. God will take care of his church, I would make the point that those who are in favor of tithing have a security blanket of knowing that 10% is coming, with freewill offerings you really have to trust God to provide.
Like I said the churches (using the term loosly here) that don't teach tithing aren't going broke.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Chosen

I used to be under a pastor (he has since moved away) who not only kept track of the tithes but also of the offerings we made which he said should be 5%(half of the tithe) and if we didn't adhere we were not allowed to vote or anything else.

Now that bothered me in that I feel my offerings are between me and God and I.
I usually give more in offerings than in tithes anyway but I feel that is sacred between God and I and no ones business,almost wish there would be a barrel with a tithes sign on that way people gave and no one would keep track of it, and pastor would have to take people word for it.

btw I don't nor have I ever claimed my giving in my tax returns.

just me
Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen View Post
I don't nor have I ever claimed my giving in my tax returns.
While I understand your motive I would offer you something to think about if you file in a way that your contributions could be taken.

If you make $80K a year ($8K tithes) and you are in a 15% tax bracket you would receive roughly $1,200 tax break on your tithes. Instead of letting the government keep it so they can fund abortions, gay arts projects, and a host of other stupid things. Get the money and put it into missions, benevolence project, or an offering.

just me