Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Hillary as Sec State

Fox is reporting that the offer is on the table and awaiting her reply. Reported by Brett Baier.
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Old 11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Matthew 7:6

Re: Hillary as Sec State

Good choice.

And its also a good way for Obama to create some good will toward the Hillary supporters who had wanted her to get the Democratic nomination. Next to VP, Secretary of State is probably the most prestigious position she could get in the Obama administration. I hope she accepts it.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Well, I'm not a Hillary fan nor an Obama fan.
Be prepared for several years of things we just don't like and don't agree with.
But, in my opinion, Hillary is as qualified as anybody else, and probably more qualified than many others, for a position like that which is not too many heart beats away from the president.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Now they're reporting that O is talking to Bill Richardson about Sec State.

They've downgraded their reporting to say she's under consideration and on the list w/Richardson and Kerry.

Looks like Baier jumped the gun a little. He did say "the offer is on the table and awaiting her response."

I agree, I think she's the best choice among the Dem's. He's taking a play out of ol' Abe's book and appointing his rivals to key positions. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. He neutralizes her and her friends on the Hill of he does this too.
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Old 11-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_PoMo View Post

They've downgraded their reporting to say she's under consideration and on the list w/Richardson and Kerry.

Looks like Baier jumped the gun a little. He did say "the offer is on the table and awaiting her response."

I agree, I think she's the best choice among the Dem's. He's taking a play out of ol' Abe's book and appointing his rivals to key positions. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. He neutralizes her and her friends on the Hill of he does this too.
The info got leaked by Obama's people yesterday. The NY Daily news was reporting this even before Brett Baier had it. Until Clinton accepted, they should have kept their mouth shut, because if the job goes to someone else, it'll be a little awkward on Hillary's part. And it could be seen as just another slight toward her. This is not being handled properly by O's people, IMO.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Abe absolutely had this right about putting people around you that you don't always agree with, but that are qualified to fulfill the position.

Hillary is definitely qualified and I think would make a very interesting choice for Sec. of State. The genious part of this pick would be neutralizing her (and Bill) domestically. It would keep her out of Obama's legislative agenda on things like healthcare.

The Sec. of State has to give up a lot of the political posturing and stick to representing the USA around the world. I really believe this would be a better fit than placing her elsewhere in the cabinet. I'm not sure she'll give up the political side of the issues though. It'll be interesting to see if she wants Sec. of State.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM

During the Democratic campaign for the party nomination, I felt like her positions on foreign policy issues (such as Iraq) were more pragmatic than Obama's. She even took heat from the far left for not being as stridently anti-Iraq war, and not eagerly pushing for an immediate pullout, as they wanted her to be.

She could have pandered to the far left like some of the other Democratic candidates did during the campaign ( like Obama), but she chose not to. My level of respect for her increased a lot because of that.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:53 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
The info got leaked by Obama's people yesterday. The NY Daily news was reporting this even before Brett Baier had it. Until Clinton accepted, they should have kept their mouth shut, because if the job goes to someone else, it'll be a little awkward on Hillary's part. And it could be seen as just another slight toward her. This is not being handled properly by O's people, IMO.
Yeah, I saw the news yesterday afternoon. Was kind of surprised nobody mentioned it on here. At least not that I've seen anyway. You're right, the way they're going about this is a little weird. Seems out of character. Maybe they figure she'll decline and then nobody can say they dissed her.

Funny, MSNBC just said she was offered the job and she's playing coy and leery of Biden. Maybe she's playing coy and they're hitting back by floating other names to save their own face and to put pressure on her.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

Ok, multiple sources report she has been offered the job and that she is considering it since yesterday.

O better hope she accepts it. Otherwise they very well could be a parallel govt in DC and he'll be fighting two groups to get stuff done. Might not be a bad thing.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok, multiple sources report she has been offered the job and that she is considering it since yesterday.

O better hope she accepts it. Otherwise they very well could be a parallel govt in DC and he'll be fighting two groups to get stuff done. Might not be a bad thing.
I think this will be a very tough decision for her. Most think she'd jump at the opportunity to have probably the highest cabinet office, but the Clinton's love politics. She has to be a little torn on whether she wants the prestige and power that comes with being S of State or whether she wants to fight the political battles like healtcare that now will be passed.

Where would she have more influence given the fact that Dem's are going to be able to pass legislation?