Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Re: Starbucks and White Guilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
True.

Why would you assume that?

One customer began recording because they felt uncomfortable with the way the staff approached the two black customers and with the fact that the police were called. There were also remarks being made on the side about discrimination by other customers. When the man finally showed up to meet his associates and began telling the officers that this was discrimination because he meets white people there all the time without incident, you can hear customers agreeing.

It sounds like the entire room was uncomfortable with what they were seeing unfold in front of them.

I don't think it was a conspiracy. I don't automatically think the men were mouthy or did anything to have it coming.

I believe a Starbuck's employee just went a little off the deep end with their bigotry. That's one employee, in one Starbucks, out of roughly 25,000 Starbuck's stores. What we see here is the bad press one bigoted manager can bring.

Moral of the story: If at all possible, don't promote racists to management.
I believe refusing to leave when asked by an employee would qualify as "mouthy".
Then when you refuse to leave when the police tell you to leave would also quality.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I had a client, who was black, call me asking why he hadn't received his refund check yet. Per policy, after a certain time frame we can reissue a check once the client has signed a bond of indemnity. The dude went off about how I was racist and making him sign it because he was black. Claimed I was implying that he was dishonest or some criminal. Nothing I said could change his mind. It was ridiculous. Standard procedure for everyone, but this guy was adamant that I was singling him out.

smh
I have seen this over and over. Sometimes the person really believes they are being discriminated against because of their race and sometimes it is just one of the "tools" they will use to try and get their way.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's another racist. This woman goes nuts on two soldiers for parking in a handicapped spot.

Why do racists always look so inbred? lol

And why do they turn around and have to act like it?
Not sure why you posted that or what that has to do with this issue, but we both could post tons of videos that show racism by every race.
But, that does not mean that every incident or issue is "racist".
Old 05-03-2018, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
But what does "refused to leave" mean?

From what I'm gathering, they were told that if they were not going to make a purchase, they were going to have to leave. They explained that they were waiting on someone, and the employee then backed off and went to call police. I'm not sure if one can say that they "refused to leave" at that point. Of course, a manager who had white fear might have felt like they were refusing to leave. The two men might have thought they were now okay to continuing waiting.

Eh, I don't know. I don't think you'd have had the comments among other customers if everything was on the up and up. Whatever happened made a number of other customers uneasy.

What I don't understand is why the officers still insisted on arresting them when the man they were meeting finally showed up, apologized for being late, and insisted that they could just go somewhere else. In most situations the police don't want to arrest a person over something meaningless or silly. And even though they were arrested and taken downtown, they were released without any charges.

The whole thing is stupid. People wait to meet people in coffee shops all the time. People are asked if they are going to purchase anything and explain they are waiting on someone without consequence all the time. Police change course as more information becomes available all the time. I just think it's all stupid. None of it was necessary.
They were arrested because they refused to follow a lawful order from the police.
It is pretty simple, actually.
Do what the police say and things will go a lot better for you.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I think that was fair. They weren't out to try to bank on it.
It was a good gesture on their part. Some would have milked it for a lot more.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I've been asked if I was going to purchase something while waiting for someone else before. No one called the police on me. In fact, if they insisted I leave, I would have complied. And if it was a misunderstanding and the police were called, I'd definitely leave upon a police officer's request.
And therein lies the difference. These guy didn't comply which is why the police were called.

It's ridiculous that a bar in NYC can kick someone out for wearing a MAGA hat and all the libs are obviously okay with it and I read many tweets applauding what the bar did, but tell a black person to leave when they're not ordering anything and taking space ...

What's worse is a Judge ruled in favor of the bar and said they could discriminate against the Trump supporter.

Had that been a homosexual ...

Blatant hypocrisy from the radical left.

Last edited by n david; 05-03-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
They were arrested because they refused to follow a lawful order from the police.
It is pretty simple, actually.
Do what the police say and things will go a lot better for you.
Why is that so hard for some people to understand?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
But what does "refused to leave" mean?
C'mon, Aquila. Some things are pretty obvious. They were asked to leave because they weren't ordering anything. When they continued to refuse to leave, the police were called.

Quote:
Eh, I don't know. I don't think you'd have had the comments among other customers if everything was on the up and up. Whatever happened made a number of other customers uneasy.
First, the camera started after the police were there. Also, the people were uneasy because its liberal Philly and white cops were arresting black people. I doubt some of those people even saw the buildup to the police arriving. Think about it, the video is from someone standing in line. Even when busy, Starbucks is efficient and you're not in line more than 10 minutes. I guarantee you it took more than 10 minutes for the officers to arrive. So it is entirely possible, likely even, that the bleeding heart lib taking the video and some of the others standing in line didn't even see the beginning of the confrontation.

Quote:
What I don't understand is why the officers still insisted on arresting them when the man they were meeting finally showed up, apologized for being late, and insisted that they could just go somewhere else. In most situations the police don't want to arrest a person over something meaningless or silly. And even though they were arrested and taken downtown, they were released without any charges.
Which is another reason I believe these men were being belligerent and mouthy to the cops. You're right. In most situations, the cops would have talked with the friend and left.

The cops acted reasonably and within the law. There's no denying that. They didn't use excessive force. They did their job. No one should be complaining about what they did.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I believe refusing to leave when asked by an employee would qualify as "mouthy".
Then when you refuse to leave when the police tell you to leave would also quality.
True. I'm not arguing against those facts.

The point I'm trying to make is... if they were white the odds are that no one would have asked them to leave. I've been in a business establishment waiting on someone far longer than those guys were, and I have never been asked to leave. Even the man they were meeting explained that he has chosen to meet clients at Starbucks many times, and those clients didn't always order anything. The only difference between those who were never approached and asked to leave and the gentlemen who were asked to leave is... their skin color.

Think about it. If I were going to meet you in a Starbucks for a Bible study and I was running late and you'd had been waiting 25 minutes without ordering anything... and no one approached you and asked you to leave... but you watch as staff approaches some people of color and ask them to leave because they'd been seated for 20 minutes without ordering anything... wouldn't you be disgusted? I would be. I'd expect someone to be tempted to stand and say, "Um, excuse me. I've been waiting on a friend for 25 minutes without ordering anything, they've only been here 20. Why are you asking them to leave and not me? Is it because they are black?"

It's not that Starbucks did anything illegal. It's that they chose to do what they have legal authority to do... against people that are black, when they have essentially ignored whites who have done the same. The man who met them was key in explaining this. And the people present, most of whom were white, have most likely never experienced being asked to leave, as these black men were being asked to leave. That's why the white guy these men were meeting, and the people throughout the room, felt uncomfortable and were making comments about it being discrimination.

Yes, Starbucks acted within the law. But the management of the store chose to use that authority selectively, targeting black people.

I think a group of people (white and black) should break out their cameras and record how long it takes for a Starbucks, or any other business, to ask them to leave. Anything you want to bet, the black people will be asked to leave far more than the whites, if the whites are asked to leave at all. That would perhaps highlight the problem.

Last edited by Aquila; 05-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure why you posted that or what that has to do with this issue, but we both could post tons of videos that show racism by every race.
But, that does not mean that every incident or issue is "racist".
True. But I have to ask myself if this woman would have behaved this way if the women were two white women.