Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
The questiion is not whether we as christians should give to syupport our local assembly.

The question is: is it a NT LAW or command to do so? To give a minimum of 10% ?
PRECISELY!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Look at the NT everything NOT binding that was a consistant part of Jewish life was addressed such as:
Sabbath keeping
Holy days
Dietary laws
Sacrifcial laws
Priesthood

Two common parts of worship not done away with:
Mechanical instruments
Tithing.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP_Carl View Post
There isn't a scripture. But the principle is scriptural. People will have difficulty discerning it if they are fresh from being bruised by excessive offering-taking, real or perceived.

There also is no scripture opposed to the consumption of tobacco.

By their fruits ye shall know them. You have fleshed out a splendid example of a pastor whose kingdom-mindedness is fair game for questioning.
Brother, there is no principle in the Bible for the pastor to keep all the tithes. The Levites were commaned to collect the tithe, but not to keep it. This is something I looked for. There was one offering, called the free will offering, that the Lord said the priests could keep all to themselves, but the tithes never fell into that category.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthaolivia View Post
I have heard throughout my many years that one can't outgive God. That has been proven to me time and again. I am retired and certainly not wealthy but am thankful that I am able to give and God has always provided.
AMEN! A giving contest with the Lord is one I don't mind losing!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:59 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Here is the issue. FEAR. DOUBT. UNBELIEF. People who legislate tithes are AFRAID they will not get the offerings they need. What is that? Unbelief and fear.

Those who give and know God blesses givers, wil give, and the church lights will continue to burn!
I have one problem with that Elder. My parents did home mission work, and they trusted God without fear in that work. Those churches never made it because people refused to give or they were just power hungry to control my dad to suit there lifestyle. My parents gave from their own sweat and toil to make the church work, but they couldn't keep up. There were spiritual freeloaders who did not give, and when the churches folded, all they could say was "well, must not have been Gods will". If you ask me, I think thats a bunch of boloney!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:03 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
I have no problem with paying tithes.

But like yourself it bothers me to see some churches doing yard sales,bake sales ect.Trying to pay the bills because the pastor is taking all the tithes for himself.I have not figured that out yet.God said to bring into the store house.Not the preachers house.With all that said, i have no problem with a pastor being paid a salary.There are not many jobs were a person is on call 24/7
My dad was a home mission pastor who had a secular job, not only did he pay tithes, he went without (along with the family) food and other things and gave more than 10%. Not every pastor is taking tithes for himself.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
My dad was a home mission pastor who had a secular job, not only did he pay tithes, he went without (along with the family) food and other things and gave more than 10%. Not every pastor is taking tithes for himself.
Your dad was a good example
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 PM
the ultracon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
I have one problem with that Elder. My parents did home mission work, and they trusted God without fear in that work. Those churches never made it because people refused to give or they were just power hungry to control my dad to suit there lifestyle. My parents gave from their own sweat and toil to make the church work, but they couldn't keep up. There were spiritual freeloaders who did not give, and when the churches folded, all they could say was "well, must not have been Gods will". If you ask me, I think thats a bunch of boloney!
How does this change what the scriptures clearly teach.

Typical pennycostal trick....can't prove it with scripture tell a personal story or two and that proves it.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:05 PM
arbitrary subjective label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
That's what I was thinking you were thinking. When I said that our routine ends up becoming a law of sorts I meant that it becomes rooted in us that that is the plan we will follow in our giving to the Lord. In other words, it becomes our way, our plan, our method, etc.
Except for the fact that the whole idea, including the 10% figure, comes straight from the bible! ! ! !

If the adoption of biblical principles as personal habits is to be regarded as rejection of grace and creation of works salvation, we are ALL DOOMED! ! ! !
Old 06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
HART2HART

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
No.

2Co 9:7 KJV Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

We CAN GIVE tithes, but it is not a law any more.

But tithes... come on. I mean less than a good tip????? lol

AT LEAST give tithes, but it is not a law for us in the New Testament.
And you would encourage the "giving" to be to an entity that runs the assembly house?