Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
It would seem to me that a tortilla would, indeed, be considered unleavened bread.

We got the hard cracker thing from the Catholic church... not from the Bible.
I don't care for those little Styrofoam kind of wafers.........does it say that Jesus broke unleaven bread at the last supper?
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
I don't care for those little Styrofoam kind of wafers.........does it say that Jesus broke unleaven bread at the last supper?
artos is the word translated as bread in the account of the Lords supper.

This is some of what the Lexicon had to say about it.

Quote:
1) food composed of flour mixed with water and baked
a) the Israelites made it in the form of an oblong or round cake, as thick as one's thumb, and as large as a plate or platter hence it was not to be cut but broken
It would be my guess that it was unleavened bread as this was, in all probability, their custom.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Ronzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDWW View Post
The kind my wifes Aunt makes is not quite as soft as a tortilla.

I love to heat a skillet,drop a tortilla in until it bubbles, melting butter on it, then eating them warm and krispy.
STOP IT! I'm trying to be a good boy!

That temptation is NOT FAIR
Old 05-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Ronzo

Quote:
It would be my guess that it was unleavened bread as this was, in all probability, their custom.
That would be the case, yes, sir.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
It would seem to me that a tortilla would, indeed, be considered unleavened bread.

We got the hard cracker thing from the Catholic church... not from the Bible.
Not really....they use wafers, they aren't really like crackers and we use Matzo crackers...not from the Roman Catholics

Matzo (also Matzoh, Matzah, Matza, Hebrew מַצָּה maṣṣā) is a Jewish food item made of plain flour and water, which is not allowed to ferment or rise before it is baked. The result is either a round pita shaped bread or a flat, crunchy, cracker-like bread.

Matzo is the traditional substitute for bread during Passover because of the prohibitive commandment of eating chametz. Moreover, eating matzo the night of the seder fulfills the positive commandment of eating matzo at the Passover seder (some say {the Vilna Gaon} the positive commandment is applicable for the entire Passover week).

Matzo has a dual role in the Passover festival. First, when the Children of Israel were leaving Ancient Egypt, they had no time to wait until their bread rose, so they baked it before it had a chance to rise, and the result was matzo (Exodus 12:39). Therefore it symbolizes redemption and freedom.

Second, unleaven bread is considered poor man's bread (lechem oni), symbolizing slavery because such was the type of bread fed to slaves. Thus, it serves as a reminder to be humbled and remember what it is like to be a poor slave, sparking an appreciation of freedom and avoid the puffed ego symbolized by leavened bread.

For Passover, the ingredients for matzo are limited to flour and water only, while other ingredients such as eggs or fruit juice may be added to matzo that is produced and consumed during the rest of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matzo
Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
artos is the word translated as bread in the account of the Lords supper.

This is some of what the Lexicon had to say about it.

I would agree as it the Passover was a celebration of coming out of Egypt.
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

My dad's favorite breakfast was Chorizo con Huevos and he would scoop them up with overcooked cracker like flour tortillas...they are delish!

Here's another trick, fry up those cut corn tortillas and salt them as posted earlier...then...take chicken breast that has been slow cooked in a crockpot with V-8 juice and use that as a topping with melted cheese and your favorite nacho toppings...WOW!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
My dad's favorite breakfast was Chorizo con Huevos and he would scoop them up with overcooked cracker like flour tortillas...they are delish!

Here's another trick, fry up those cut corn tortillas and salt them as posted earlier...then...take chicken breast that has been slow cooked in a crockpot with V-8 juice and use that as a topping with melted cheese and your favorite nacho toppings...WOW!!!!!!
Yum. Sounds wonderful.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 PM
www.capitalcommunity.ca

I always flash grill the chicken before putting them in the crockpot so they have a nice color and searing. BTW, I used to own Margarita's Tortilla Factory Restaurant so I know of which I speak, he he!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Saved & Shaved

flour tortillas are made with baking powder... a leavening agent...