Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Apostolic Articles
Facebook

Notices

Old 06-14-2008, 09:54 AM
blueaugust

When New Kings Arise

Here's another article that I hope some of you guys will like...

When New Kings Arise

Ex 1:1-14

The Book of Exodus is a story of deliverance. However, before deliverance, it was a story of oppression.

In a place where it’s supposed to be safe, where once the first generation of Jacob’s seed found shelter from famine in Canaan, there arose up a new king. Then suddenly, everything is different. Their friends became their enemies, their benefactors became their oppressors, and their freedom was taken away from them. They were now slaved in a foreign land. A land that their ancestor Joseph has saved from a seven year famine. A land that now becomes their prison. A land with a new king that knew not Joseph. Neither did this new king know the God of Joseph.

Furthermore, it was on account of Israel’s population explosion that this new Pharaoh oppresses them. He was afraid that Israel might wax stronger than the Egyptians. Yes, kings are just men. Frail, fearful, and forgetful. However, God is strong and mighty, and He doesn’t forget any of His promises.

The Hebrew title for the second book of the Pentateuch is taken from its first two words in the Hebrew manuscripts - “elleh” and “shemowth” which means “These the Names”. If anything, these first two words conveys the idea that the Israelites has preserved their genealogy. Along with that is their heritage as the seeds of Israel. Moreover, with that heritage is the knowledge of all that God has promised to their people.

Somehow, this knowledge became an anchor in which Israel preserved their national identity for the 430 years of their existence in Egypt. Somehow, this knowledge gave them the hope of waiting for the fulfillment of the promise they received from their first ancestors. Even when the first generation of the Israelites had passed away, the succeeding ones are kept intact and alive through the words of their forefathers. Even when there was no mention of a prophet’s voice or of a strong and godly leader’s influence.

This is the ironic part in this biblical account. This was that the more this new king afflicted the people of God, the more they grew and multiply. Pharaoh’s weapon of choice is slavery and genocide. Nevertheless, on Israel’s arsenal is the heritage of trust in God’s promises. The result is a product of faith and fortitude. The fangs of the new king are not sharp enough to penetrate Israel’s national vein. The nation’s blood is still flowing. Their heart is still pounding. In the middle of suffering, life is still flourishing.

This is the kind of life that most of God’s people have lived in their lifetime. This is us when new kings arise to make the Christian life more miserable. This is us when new kings arise to enslave our human spirit. And this is us when new kings arise to make us forget that we are the chosen ones of God.

But the Apostolic heritage stands on the same foundation that Israel’s heritage stood on. We have the same word of promise, and we have the same Promise Giver. He is the Author of our redemption, and He has written it with His mighty hand. His deliverance is still sweet and strong whether in Exodus or in Revelation.

Time will make the new king old. Eternity has no place for his kingdom. The bottomless pit is prepared to bind him with chains. As for us, let us be prepared for the coming of our Deliverer, the Eternal King of Kings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To read this from my blog, click here
Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Re: When New Kings Arise

The really sad thing is for there to be that many people yet the king did not know their God.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:10 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaugust View Post
Here's another article that I hope some of you guys will like...

When New Kings Arise

Ex 1:1-14

The Book of Exodus is a story of deliverance. However, before deliverance, it was a story of oppression.

In a place where it’s supposed to be safe, where once the first generation of Jacob’s seed found shelter from famine in Canaan, there arose up a new king. Then suddenly, everything is different. Their friends became their enemies, their benefactors became their oppressors, and their freedom was taken away from them. They were now slaved in a foreign land. A land that their ancestor Joseph has saved from a seven year famine. A land that now becomes their prison. A land with a new king that knew not Joseph. Neither did this new king know the God of Joseph.

Furthermore, it was on account of Israel’s population explosion that this new Pharaoh oppresses them. He was afraid that Israel might wax stronger than the Egyptians. Yes, kings are just men. Frail, fearful, and forgetful. However, God is strong and mighty, and He doesn’t forget any of His promises.

The Hebrew title for the second book of the Pentateuch is taken from its first two words in the Hebrew manuscripts - “elleh” and “shemowth” which means “These the Names”. If anything, these first two words conveys the idea that the Israelites has preserved their genealogy. Along with that is their heritage as the seeds of Israel. Moreover, with that heritage is the knowledge of all that God has promised to their people.

Somehow, this knowledge became an anchor in which Israel preserved their national identity for the 430 years of their existence in Egypt. Somehow, this knowledge gave them the hope of waiting for the fulfillment of the promise they received from their first ancestors. Even when the first generation of the Israelites had passed away, the succeeding ones are kept intact and alive through the words of their forefathers. Even when there was no mention of a prophet’s voice or of a strong and godly leader’s influence.

This is the ironic part in this biblical account. This was that the more this new king afflicted the people of God, the more they grew and multiply. Pharaoh’s weapon of choice is slavery and genocide. Nevertheless, on Israel’s arsenal is the heritage of trust in God’s promises. The result is a product of faith and fortitude. The fangs of the new king are not sharp enough to penetrate Israel’s national vein. The nation’s blood is still flowing. Their heart is still pounding. In the middle of suffering, life is still flourishing.

This is the kind of life that most of God’s people have lived in their lifetime. This is us when new kings arise to make the Christian life more miserable. This is us when new kings arise to enslave our human spirit. And this is us when new kings arise to make us forget that we are the chosen ones of God.

But the Apostolic heritage stands on the same foundation that Israel’s heritage stood on. We have the same word of promise, and we have the same Promise Giver. He is the Author of our redemption, and He has written it with His mighty hand. His deliverance is still sweet and strong whether in Exodus or in Revelation.

Time will make the new king old. Eternity has no place for his kingdom. The bottomless pit is prepared to bind him with chains. As for us, let us be prepared for the coming of our Deliverer, the Eternal King of Kings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To read this from my blog, click here
I really apprecaite this Bro. Blueaugust. Very good message. The words in BOLD print really ministered to me. Thanks!

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:10 AM
blueaugust

@ OneAccord - Glad to be an instrument of blessing...

@ Esther - Now that's something somebody needs to preach on!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Bro. Blueaugust,

Great message! I have thought many times how that if there is not
someone willing to stand in the "gap" between the generations, it takes
only one generation and the light of truth can be lost, in a family, in a
city.

My late father spoke many times of when we moved (1950) to the small
town where he and Mom would sow the seeds of truth. How that SO many
individuals would say, "My grandmother, my mother, my dad, etc., were
Pentecostal". What happened! Someone, somewhere along the line didn't
follow through. Somewhere someone didn't do their part.

One day my dad asked the local Baptist pastor, "----, it just occured to me
that you might possibly have had some Pentecost in your background". This
pastor replied, "Yes, matter of fact my grandmother was a Pentecostal preacher".
Dad inquired, "You mean like the AOG"? This man replied, "No, old time Pente-
costal".
Since that time we learned that many people in this city have had Pentecostal
backgrounds.

When Dad spoke to the presbyter who lived in a neighboring city, about starting
a work in our town, this pastor-presbyter told Dad that _ _ _ _ _ was a burnt
over field, a hard place. That men had come and started having services in this
town, only to leave owing rent and grocery bills, leaving a bad name behind them.

Well, my father didn't come and leave a bad name, owing any and everybody,
leaving a bad name for the generation he was leading. He came, worked a secular
job for 18 yrs., ten of those, full-time pastoring the work he began 8 yrs. after we
moved here. Dad passed on almost 20 yrs. ago, but the legacy he passed on to his
own family first, lives on. He left this world owing no one. The church bills were paid,
no indebtedness whatsoever. The church had no indebtedness, nor did he. He left
his family a legacy. The Apostolic message of truth and sincerity. He left a life lived
with integrity and honest, godly living. That's why there is still a message of truth in
this city.

Since Nov.1958, for almost 50 yrs. the light of truth has shone in our city,
our field of labour. For almost one-half century this city has seen and heard the GOOD
NEWS of the GLORIOUS GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST!! It is without excuse!

How would I know all this! I am his eldest daughter who was here when it all began.
I have been church secretary since the beginning until now. 50 yrs. this year. There
are two generations of my family following in our footsteps. My husband and I were
married less than one year after Dad began the work here. We have remained intact
by the mercy and grace of Almighty God!

There are 28 of our family members that worship beside us and several are active in
some area of ministry. Several are small children. My husband, myself, five of our
six adult children, their original spouses, and their children.

If there be any glory, any praise, it belongs to our Lord and God, Jesus Christ, who made
it all possible. To God be the Glory for great things HE has done and will continue to do,
in Jesus Name!

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 AM
blueaugust

What you have just stated is pretty true Sis. Falla39. I am always praying that there'll be no broken link in the succeeding generations of the Apostolic Pentecostalism here in the Philippines. I guess its the responsibility of the previous generation to educate and mold the next one.

May your church continue in being a blessing to your city...

I've posted a new article on my blog. You can visit it by clicking here if you'd like to. It's titled "Forsaking Moab".

I'm a little hesitant on posting it here for fear of being seen as someone who's dominating this part of the forum. I really hope that some of the other guys would post something as well. These things could really be a blessing to filipino pastors as a lot of us don't have that much of preaching and teaching resources...

God bless you again...
Old 06-21-2008, 11:51 AM

Bro. Blueaugust,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I went to your blog and read your message, "Forsaking Moab"

and found it to be a great message! I believe you owe it especially

to the ladies on this forum to post it here. Really, really enjoyed it!

It encourages me so much to realize that God brought everyone of

us, male and female, out of darkness into His Marvelous Light. Which

were not a people, but are NOW the people of God. The story of Ruth

is one I especially enjoy.

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 AM
blueaugust

I will try to post "Forsaking Moab" tonight or tomorrow...
Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaugust View Post
I will try to post "Forsaking Moab" tonight or tomorrow...
Thanks, Brother,

May it bless many hearts, in Jesus Name!

Falla39
Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

Is it ok to use this article in one of my newsletters?
Aaaaaagh! Reality is setting in!