Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

What is repentance?

I have noticed that repentance is missing in many professed conversions. Repentance is vital for our relationship with God, but yet so many only think of it as an apology. talk is cheap and God is looking at our actions.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Re: What is repentance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
I have noticed that repentance is missing in many professed conversions. Repentance is vital for our relationship with God, but yet so many only think of it as an apology. talk is cheap and God is looking at our actions.
Im glad you asked that question. This is Biblical New Testament repentance.

Luke 14:25-27

25And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 26If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Its when one surrenders their life to Christ. They die to all other competing interests.

Much different than saying Im sorry
Old 10-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Jonah 3:9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

We are not to think that God is ever sorry. In order to be sorry there must be a mistake. God does not mistakes and there is nothing for Him to be sorry for, but yet He does repent. Repentance means to change your mind. Because the people of Ninevah changed their minds from doing evil and thus changing their evil actions; God also changed His mind from destroying them.

Repentance isn't being sorry it is changing your mind from doing evil. Godly sorrow worketh repentance. being sorry for sin will many times bring you to the place where you want to make that change, but to repent we must make up our minds that we are going to serve the Lord and no longer our own lustful desires.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:48 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Lets get where the rubber meets the road. To repent means to stop sinning. It includes an apology for we owe God an apology but it also means liars quit lying, fornicators quit fornicating, etc etc.

There is also the idea of restitution (where possible and beneficial).

But the basic idea is to change your course.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Lets get where the rubber meets the road. To repent means to stop sinning. It includes an apology for we owe God an apology but it also means liars quit lying, fornicators quit fornicating, etc etc.

His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
Faith in Jesus Christ is what God wants. So if you want to know what repentance really is.... it's simply believing in Jesus Christ.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

There is only one way to "stop sinning" and that is to believe in Jesus Christ.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Im glad you asked that question. This is Biblical New Testament repentance.

Luke 14:25-27

25And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 26If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Its when one surrenders their life to Christ. They die to all other competing interests.

Much different than saying Im sorry
Michael is on the right track. It's about believing in Jesus. Also, as the book of James says (such "faith without works is dead")
Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Quote:

AMEN!

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
Faith in Jesus Christ is what God wants. So if you want to know what repentance really is.... it's simply believing in Jesus Christ.
This is false. belief and repentance aren't the same thing. belief may lead a person to repentance, but it isn't repentance. There are many who believe, but yet never change their lifestyle and I consider that rebellion. To believe that God doesn't want you to do something and for you to do it anyways is wrong. To think that God will pardon you because of your belief is ludicrous and doesn't rightly divide the word.

I must first believe and then I must obey. Every time scripture speaks of faith it is understood that obedience is present. Paul understood this, but we live in a generation who doesn't. We must be clear about this because people have taken this saved by faith and totally misrepresented what the Bible teaches. We must strive to be more like the one we believe in.