Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
A Student of the Word

Re: The Commands of Jesus

I am also working on producing a 8-10 hour seminar on how to Effectively Study and Interpret the Bible, A basic course for Ministers, Bible teachers and serious students of the word of God.

It will include a couple of hours on identifying the key words of a verse and how to correctly translate them - without the need to become a linguist.

For example: Ps 101:2

Of the 109 occurrences of the word “perfect” (as rendered in KJV edition of the English Bible), they reflect a dazzling array of original language words. There are fourteen different Hebrew words translated as “perfect” and ten different Greek words translated as “perfect”. Each of the original words has different meanings as well as carrying a wide range of possible individual tones, shadings and understandings. Even in one verse, such as Ps 101:2, we find the word perfect used twice in our KJV editions.

“I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.” KJV

This translation would frequently be interpreted as: I will behave in a way that is without error or flaw, so when will you (God) come to me? My heart will be without defect or blemish: Fully complete, lacking nothing. Or, some such rendering.

However, the first perfect means “whole, sound, healthful”, while the second perfect means “integrity”, which renders Ps 101:2 from the KJV to:

Considering the content of the entire verse and the context of the specific words, my translation of this same text is as follows:

“I will give heed to and follow the path (the way) of complete wholesomeness; Oh when will You come unto me? Inside my own house I will walk (live) my life in the integrity of my heart.” [AWB]

The interpretation could be something like this: I will give heed to (take not of sin) and walk (live) in the precepts of your (God's) instructions for righteous living (Torah), requiring nothing else beyond your instructions. Therefore, tell me, when will you come unto me in true relationship? Even as I live out my life, within myself, I shall maintain my integrity (moral soundness, a life devoid of sin) before you.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 04-09-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W. Bowman View Post
I am also working on producing a 8-10 hour seminar on how to Effectively Study and Interpret the Bible, A basic course for Ministers, Bible teachers and serious students of the word of God.

It will include a couple of hours on identifying the key words of a verse and how to correctly translate them - without the need to become a linguist.

For example: Ps 101:2

Of the 109 occurrences of the word “perfect” (as rendered in KJV edition of the English Bible), they reflect a dazzling array of original language words. There are fourteen different Hebrew words translated as “perfect” and ten different Greek words translated as “perfect”. Each of the original words has different meanings as well as carrying a wide range of possible individual tones, shadings and understandings. Even in one verse, such as Ps 101:2, we find the word perfect used twice in our KJV editions.

“I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.” KJV

This translation would frequently be interpreted as: I will behave in a way that is without error or flaw, so when will you (God) come to me? My heart will be without defect or blemish: Fully complete, lacking nothing. Or, some such rendering.

However, the first perfect means “whole, sound, healthful”, while the second perfect means “integrity”, which renders Ps 101:2 from the KJV to:

Considering the content of the entire verse and the context of the specific words, my translation of this same text is as follows:

“I will give heed to and follow the path (the way) of complete wholesomeness; Oh when will You come unto me? Inside my own house I will walk (live) my life in the integrity of my heart.” [AWB]

The interpretation could be something like this: I will give heed to (take not of sin) and walk (live) in the precepts of your (God's) instructions for righteous living (Torah), requiring nothing else beyond your instructions. Therefore, tell me, when will you come unto me in true relationship? Even as I live out my life, within myself, I shall maintain my integrity (moral soundness, a life devoid of sin) before you.
Sure is complicated ain't it?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM
A Student of the Word

Complicated? It sure can get that way quickly! But the responsibility for teaching others the word of God is indeed a heavy responsibility, and the practitioner falls under a heavy judgment.

Reading the word is one thing - studying it requires a lot of work, time, and dedication - it is not a trivial task, as some teachers seem to consider it.

A serious student of the word will take up the task for themselves, and not rely just on some preachers take. But, a teacher must know what the word was actually meant to communicate - in terms of what the original author intended to communicate and how the original hearers understood what was said. At least as close to the original as we might be able to get.

Effective study requires looking into the historical, cultural, religious, and language of the original text, which means understanding the original shared worldview. Taking an ancient document, 2000 to 3500 years old, written in a language few today can fully understand, removed from a very different culture with a foreign religious practice, without understanding the history of the events and the people, and written a language that has little to no meaning in the 21st century American tongue will indeed become complicated very quickly.

Perhaps this is one reason folks like to talk about the Bible more than they like to discuss what the Bible says. This approach makes it a lot easier to make the Bible say what we want it to, rather than what God intended for it to say.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W. Bowman View Post
Complicated? It sure can get that way quickly! But the responsibility for teaching others the word of God is indeed a heavy responsibility, and the practitioner falls under a heavy judgment.

Reading the word is one thing - studying it requires a lot of work, time, and dedication - it is not a trivial task, as some teachers seem to consider it.

A serious student of the word will take up the task for themselves, and not rely just on some preachers take. But, a teacher must know what the word was actually meant to communicate - in terms of what the original author intended to communicate and how the original hearers understood what was said. At least as close to the original as we might be able to get.

Effective study requires looking into the historical, cultural, religious, and language of the original text, which means understanding the original shared worldview. Taking an ancient document, 2000 to 3500 years old, written in a language few today can fully understand, removed from a very different culture with a foreign religious practice, without understanding the history of the events and the people, and written a language that has little to no meaning in the 21st century American tongue will indeed become complicated very quickly.

Perhaps this is one reason folks like to talk about the Bible more than they like to discuss what the Bible says. This approach makes it a lot easier to make the Bible say what we want it to, rather than what God intended for it to say.
I appreciate you posting what was a very interesting study of the word of God. I commend you for spending the time and effort to produce such a study for not many are willing to do that.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:19 PM
A Student of the Word

Seekerman -

Thank you for the kind words.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 AM
Loren Adkins

Art

Long time no talk my friend, Very nice by the way, Too bad the majority of teacher can not learn to teach this way. Instead of pushing their own agenda, and not the student to dig for themselves.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM
A Student of the Word

Hey drummer boy - It is always a blessing to cross paths with you.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM
A Student of the Word

After looking at the "article" on the Law of God, I discovered that it requires some major rework. So, I will have t either defer it for several days (a week?) or post it as a daily series. The series is what I am leaning toward - makes for an easier schedule.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Thank you Elder! I am going to copy and save these for future reading, I want to glean every nugget of truth I can.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Yes we all should want to know the commands of Jesus. They communicate to us the will of God.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo , I am with you alway , even unto the end of the world. Amen. Matt. 28:18-20

Altho teaching the commands of Yeshua is CENTRAL to the great commission I have noticed that the VERY MENTION of his commands sets modern "Christians" off. It makes them so angry.

Yeshua/Jesus and his teachings cannot be separated. The move among Churches today is to do precisely THAT.