Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-28-2021, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Re: Prayers for My Father, Please

UPDATE Tuesday, December 27, at 9:00am

About 15 minutes after I posted an update concerning last night, my Mom sent us an update via our church group chat.

Daddy's had a bath and is still sleeping. My Mom had to have the head nurse assist with the bath because Daddy's weak and stiff. He's still very groggy. They're assuming the grogginess is from his persistent headaches that haven't really slacked any. I'd assume the primary source of the headaches would be his damaged vision and his eyes straining to see. He is scheduled for physical therapy and speech therapy today. The weakness on the right side of his body isn't any better. Yesterday he could move it some, but today he is unable to move it at all. He can't stick a straw in it too good now, and they're checking to see if it's just his lips that is numb and not his throat as well. The doctor has come around and told him that this is day five of the second stroke and that all side effects should have already shown themselves. From here on out, they say, should be improvement. They're going to try another steroid shot to hopefully lessen the severity of the headaches, but they're not wanting to lean on the steroids too hard because they say too much steroid would cause a "crash headache" later. The PICC line that Daddy's had is going to be removed and from here on out, all tests will go from every six hours to every 24 hours. They're being discharged from the ICU and being moved to a step-down unit. They're unsure if that'll happen today because all the rooms are full, but that is the next goal. Daddy's nurse is a Christian man, and he assured Daddy this morning that God was going to heal him and not to let the devil talk him out of his blessings. They've already spoken with OT and PT, and the doctors have told the step-down unit crew that my Mom is to stay with my Daddy. She is not to be told to leave.

I told my sister, who isn't saved, this morning that the negatives just give us ammunition to pray. It's God's way of giving us specific things to pray for. I'm to clutch onto the positives, rebuke the negatives in Jesus' name, and steadily hold onto the faith that I know the Lord's going to completely heal my Daddy.

Keep the prayers coming, Brothers and Sisters. In Jesus' name.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

My parents name are Gene and Sara Belflower. I want you to call their names out specifically. In Jesus' name.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 12-29-2021, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

UPDATE

Wednesday, December 29, 12:00pm

OK so they moved Daddy from ICU in Savannah to the step-down unit around 5:15 last night. The doctor that had taken over his care as he moved from the ICU to the step-down unit had informed my Mom that Daddy would be in the step-down unit for a few days before he'd be moved back to the Dublin hospital for therapy. He was in the step-down room for a good two hours, just long to get semi-settled and eat his supper. And then the nurse came in and told my Mom that she had gotten the orders to send him back to Dublin last night. Baffled, my Mom questioned the information because it wasn't what the doctor had told her. Turns out, the doctor had put in the order shortly after she had spoke with my Mom, but she had failed to communicate any further decisions concerning his care.

To clear some things up, Dublin is a whole lot closer to our house and our church, and they're far less strict concerning visitors than Savannah is. So with Daddy being in Dublin, he will get to have more visitors. My Daddy's family and our church family can visit him and I'm praying that'll help him recover quicker.

Fast-forwarding a little, he's no safe and back in Dublin. My aunts and uncle (my Daddy's family) are being a little impatient with everything. They haven't been able to see by Daddy since he went to Savannah last Thursday, but they're being a little pushy towards my Mom and demanding updates like every half-hour. I chalked it all up because they're not saved and have a history of being fussy, but it does get a little tiring. I've tried to jump in on the group texts and messengers to make sure no one's being too fussy or out of place.

Apparently the doctors in Dublin, where Daddy's at now, aren't exactly sure why he is back. The doctor that has been assigned to him says he's never seen a case where a person was transferred back and forth between hospitals as my Daddy's been done. He said that since Daddy was back with them now, he'd make it a priority that Daddy got the proper care to get well.

Just continue to keep us all in your prayers. Daddy's concerned that they won't let my Mom stay with him overnight in Dublin, while Daddy's family is concerned that Daddy's relying too much on my Mom and therefore won't push himself to get any better. I'm not concerned with the latter because my Daddy's not a quitter. He wasn't raised that way and he won't just throw in the towel like that.

We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. In Jesus' name.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

UPDATE

Thursday, December 30, 10:15am

I went and saw Daddy last night at the hospital. He's gotten all settled on the medical floor. His right side is still very limp. To sit up for supper last night, he could help with his left side (thank the Lord he's left-side-dominant), but he couldn't move the right side at all. He tried hard, but I had to support him practically the entire time he was eating, and that was because he didn't want to sit up in the bed, he wanted his back free so some air could hit it.

He is supposed to start some therapy today. I'm not exactly sure what they're going to have him do, but my Mom has said she was trying her best to make sure he ate good this morning because the nurses said he needed "strength" to get started with the therapy today. So prayerfully all the therapy goes good and Daddy won't be too stubborn and let the nurses help him.

To the best of my knowledge, he will be on the medical floor for maybe a week or so, and then they'll move him to the therapy floor. Typical stays on the therapy floor is around 21 days. The therapy floors are quite strict. He'll have therapy 5-6 hours daily, 6 days a week, and he'll have no visitors during therapy hours. And there's a possibility they won't let my Mom stay with him once he's to the therapy floor. One of the therapy nurses he met yesterday told him that their goal was to get him home so he could care for himself, not to get him home where my Mom could care for him.

Continued prayers.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Bro. Flame,

Thank you for the updates regarding your father. I am continuing to pray for him as I am sure many others are. Not just him but praying for you and all of his family as well.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-20-2022, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

UPDATE: Thursday, January 20, 2022

I realized today that I hadn't given everyone here an update in almost a month. And that's totally inconsiderate and unfair, especially to those of you that have been keeping up with the updates and continuously sending up prayers.

I'll try to some up 3+ weeks of information as quickly as possible.

First off, Daddy came home on January 8. He wasn't going to be able to stay at the hospital a whole lot longer, and if we were to go to the nursing home for therapy, he wouldn't have therapy but maybe twice a week for two hours a day. The time spent in therapy just didn't add up and Daddy and Mom decided it would be best for him to come on home. They discussed it with me and my brother, our pastors, and Daddy's doctors, who agreed that him coming was the best. When he came home, he almost instantly started doing better, at least emotionally.

It's been a roller-coaster since then. The therapist center close to our home has decided to take Daddy as a patient even though he hasn't been approved for medicaid yet. The lady over the center told my Mom, "We'll worry about the money later." My aunt once had to use this same center for her own therapy and she's yet to receive a bill. Anyway, Daddy's been going to therapy and they're working extensively to get him to regain the mobility of his right side. The therapists have told him that if he pushes himself hard and stays strong in therapy at home and when he comes to the therapy center, he would be walking by the time he goes back to his doctor appointment in six weeks.

My brother and I (and our wives) are rotating staying with Daddy and Mom. Daddy is a heavier man, and my Mom sometimes has difficulty trying to move him. My Daddy can sometimes be a stubborn man and he doesn't always want to do therapy when it's time for him to do it at home. He's suffering from a little bit of depression because of his loss of independence. Daddy was a very independent man; he had practically raised himself since he was 15, working, taking care of a wife and kids most of his life. He didn't have a lazy bone in his body. But these strokes have knocked him down. He seems emotionless and like he can't see the entire picture of the reality surrounding him right now. His sense of humor and decorum is altered, and there's been times I've found myself worrying about him spiritually.

On a more positive note, Daddy was able to go to church this past Sunday night. My brother-in-law and I got a small recliner rigged up in our sanctuary where Daddy could be as comfortable as possible. He came in, enjoyed the service, and got some Holy Ghost prayed over him for a complete recovery.

The therapists and doctors seem to think that Daddy can make a practically full recovery, although they think the window for that is increasingly small. The doctor we saw this past Monday said that most stroke patients regain most of their mobility back within the first month of therapy.

But we know we serve a great big God that has never failed us.

Please continue to pray for Daddy, my Mom, and our family. We appreciate all the prayers we can get during this difficult time.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

UPDATE: January 30, 2022

Daddy's doing good. He's doing therapy three times a week. He's been going to church regularly too. Yesterday the men in the church gathered around him and he started walking. His right side was still stiff, but he moved along nicely. We're still holding out for a complete healing.

We were rotating the weeks with him, but we've stopped that. My Mom wanted to do it by herself for a few reasons: she wanted her bed back, she wanted Daddy to feel a little pushed to get better, and she didn't want to put too much pressure on any of the rest of us. They're coming along nicely though.

Daddy's constantly gaining strength and he's sounding more and more like himself on the phone. I haven't gone to see him this past week because I was sick and I didn't want to risk getting him sick. I had a stuffy nose, some fever, and achiness. I just didn't want to spread anything to him with him already down.

I want to thank all of you for the thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-25-2022, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Update: Monday, April 25, 2022

I realize it's been sometime since I gave everyone an update on my father. Please forgive me.

He's actually coming along very nicely. He is still doing physical therapy three times a week. He almost always walks without the assistance of a cane, walker, or anything else. About the only time he uses any such crutch is when he's gotten tired or when he's walking on unlevel ground.

His memory is still a little fuzzy. Sometimes he remembers things well, other times he needs a little nudge in the right direction. He often gets into moods where he will tell the same story multiple times during a conversation. Once he's reminded that he's already mentioned it before, it triggers him and he will be more cautious of being repetitive. (Which we don't mind him being repetitive, but he doesn't like being a broken record.)

He is still having issues regaining mobility in his right arm. It is still completely limp. We continue to pray and believe God that he will be completely healed. In frankness, my father is wanting a miracle, but I honestly don't see that happening. In my mind, if God was going to do that, it would've happened already. I honestly believe that God's going to slowly heal my father and therefore give him a strong testimony to go out and bring in the lost.

But that's just me talking. It's not thus saith the Lord.

On a more personal side, my father's family is still trying to be troublesome. His sisters have always been hard against this Apostolic way, but yet they've decided to just now come against my father really strong about what he believes. They've done it all: they've accused us of being in a cult and blamed the church for trying to "steal" him away from his "real" family.

My father's family has always been a little difficult to deal with. Even when I was younger, arguments and disagreements were often over the pettiest of situations. And now, it's done nothing but gotten worse. The spirit they each carry is dead-set against this holiness lifestyle that we're trying consistently to live. My aunts are especially targeting my Bonus Mom, critiquing her every move and accusing her of not sufficiently caring for my father.

It's all a big ole mess.

But I know the Lord will make a way, and I know that He can straighten it all out. In due time things will turnaround.

On a positive note, one of my female cousins (the daughter of one of my troublesome aunts) came to visit our church last night. She came because it was my first time preaching and God tugged at her heart. She ended up at the altar and admitted that every time she's came to our church that God deals with her. My mother-in-law told her that she needed to seriously consider going to the church where God always deals with her. My cousin is currently going to a non-denominational church being led by a backslidden Apostolic man who refuses to preach Oneness to his congregation.

I'd like for everyone to continue praying for my father, my mom, and our family. We are never without need of it. I thank each of you for the prayers thus far.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:57 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
My father's family has always been a little difficult to deal with. Even when I was younger, arguments and disagreements were often over the pettiest of situations. And now, it's done nothing but gotten worse. The spirit they each carry is dead-set against this holiness lifestyle that we're trying consistently to live. My aunts are especially targeting my Bonus Mom, critiquing her every move and accusing her of not sufficiently caring for my father.
Your aunts are coming against what your father believes while he is recovering?
Tell them to hit the road, and if they can't be kind then take THEIR beliefs somewhere else.

I'm afraid to ask, but what is a "Bonus Mom."
Old 05-02-2022, 09:23 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Your aunts are coming against what your father believes while he is recovering?
Tell them to hit the road, and if they can't be kind then take THEIR beliefs somewhere else.

I'm afraid to ask, but what is a "Bonus Mom."
His step mother. Bonus mom.