Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bro Lee Stoneking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I attended a ladies retreat wherein KH was speaking. She had just been in a service with Stoneking in Houston, stating so, and apparently believes what he teaches on hair. It doesn't seem that he is not only a favored son, but that there are people who really believe what he teaches. I am sure my face turned white when she began to support his teaching.
I am certain that you are right.

I may have told this story before, but will again...

My mom and I were visiting my late brother and his wife a few years ago. The church they attend is ALJC.

Mom was in need of prayer, and as my brother (a minister) didn't seem to move quickly enough for my SIL, she said, "Oh, I can pray...I KNOW I have power in the prayer room because I haven't cut my hair!"

I could barely pray...

When she finished, I said, "You don't really believe that, do you?"

She said, "Haven't you ever had an evangelist come to your church and preach that?"

And I said, "NO...that is not their place!" I then began to tell her the truth.

I'm mentioning this in conjunction with your post because KH was at their church a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning and very well may have shared this ridiculous teaching there at one time or another as well.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Because those people have faith, are surrounded BY people with faith. and come expecting.

We elevate men in the Preaching world like sinners elevate Sports stars and Actors. It's no wonder they can read a tabloid story about Miners drilling to far and hearing screams from hell....and believe they can get away with repeating it as the truth
Quote:
LS is an Evangelist...not a Teacher. He is not highly educated like Daniel Segraves...but of course Segraves does not have Rock Start status in the UPC. This again is why we are sooooo wrong for the way we idolize men. It's funny how the UPC in this respects is a microcosm of mainstream protestantism and by extension American society
Old 08-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post

My mom and I were visiting my late brother and his wife a few years ago. The church they attend is ALJC.

Mom was in need of prayer, and as my brother (a minister) didn't seem to move quickly enough for my SIL, she said, "Oh, I can pray...I KNOW I have power in the prayer room because I haven't cut my hair!"

I could barely pray...

She said, "Haven't you ever had an evangelist come to your church and preach that?"

I'm mentioning this in conjunction with your post because KH was at their church a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning and very well may have shared this ridiculous teaching there at one time or another as well.
Good Lord, probably so. I don't recall her words at the time, but I distinctly remember that the audience didn't largely respond to her particular comment on the hair. It was my impression that they were weighing the issues, circumstances and trials in their lives, both past and present, and KH words didn't make sense to them anymore. There is something about "simple faith" that rises above the nonsense.

The reason silly and erroneous teaching can seem to have merit is that people will always respond with faith solely because God's Spirit is present and available for anyone hungering and thirsting for righteous. The results are then boxed and showcased as though everything said was the cause. The only cause can be faith and nothing more.

Sometimes people auction off ties as though that person was the reason as well.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 08-24-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
It is more disturbing to me for a woman in leadership to promote Stoneking as well. I threw all the CD's I had of her in the trash, I was that mad about it.
I was AT a Stoneking service when KH "Let down her hair" at LS's insistence along with others. I will never forget it. It was supposed to be a Singles meeting and it ended up a woman's hair meeting. I have never gone to another one of his meetings since.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I could barely pray...

Over the past two years I have been shocked to learn that a few people I know very well and are still in the UPC (and extremely liberal, at least as far as holiness standards go) are strong believers in the whole "power on the head" farce. In a sad way it makes sense though since believing such doctrine gives a person (a woman) the feeling that she is "doing something" to earn her salvation and "making a difference" in the life of her family. I simply don't argue with them since the issue has become such a major component of their faith which they will defend to the death lest it shake the REST of their beliefs.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Excellent!

I would say though, that as the org had no problem in silencing Bro. Tekle on his teachings, in would be wise and right that they do the same here.

They will not, for the reason cited that he is a favored son, AND his off the wall beliefs on hair folks think makes the uncut hair teaching stronger, so they won't oppose it or him.

As I wrote earlier, it is sad on many levels...
Isn't UPCI a ministerial fellowship? Meaning the people aren't the licensed members but the ministers are the licensed members, so it would be up to the ministers who they place in their pulpits?

In other words they vote with their feet, and therefore if they think someone is off, they won't use them. Be they Brother Teklemariam or Brother Stoneking. Even if you 86 the brother through a organizational heresy trial, it is still up to an individual pastor whether or not he will continue to use the minister in his church. Yet, Brother Stoneking isn't the originator of the "angel controlling hair" teaching, and I can't understand how anyone would think teaching a woman's hair commands angels would strengthen what I believe concerning 1st Corinthians 11:15.

Still, we can't just talk about one organization, this is an entire movement filled with different thoughts and understandings of Thus Saith the Lord, and as time goes on those who would seek the face of Jesus Christ, can only hear His voice, and another they will NOT follow.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Because those people have faith, are surrounded BY people with faith. and come expecting.

We elevate men in the Preaching world like sinners elevate Sports stars and Actors. It's no wonder they can read a tabloid story about Miners drilling to far and hearing screams from hell....and believe they can get away with repeating it as the truth
Have you ever sat in a congregation with a minister preaching who couldn't preach a lick?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
I was AT a Stoneking service when KH "Let down her hair" at LS's insistence along with others. I will never forget it. It was supposed to be a Singles meeting and it ended up a woman's hair meeting. I have never gone to another one of his meetings since.
Good for you. That was the last ladies retreat I have ever attended as well.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Assuming he is still doing this, someone (me?) needs to film the whole thing. When played back I would have to suddenly cut to 1/6 normal speed a few seconds into it and start playing some smooooooth background music.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Have you ever sat in a congregation with a minister preaching who couldn't preach a lick?
This one time, I was in Utah...