Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

To tithe or not to tithe?

I was raised to tithe based on OT scripture. But I cannot find where it says in the NT to tithe or that Gentiles should tithe at all.

I have no problem giving. But I was raised in a lot of man made rules, outright lies and brainwashing - so I'm having to learn a lot on my own. I want to do what is right Biblically.

It feels strange not giving because it was beaten into me. But I can't find it in scripture. Any advice?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Re: To tithe or not to tithe?

Tithes is not a NT Teaching
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeUncommon View Post
I was raised to tithe based on OT scripture. But I cannot find where it says in the NT to tithe or that Gentiles should tithe at all.

I have no problem giving. But I was raised in a lot of man made rules, outright lies and brainwashing - so I'm having to learn a lot on my own. I want to do what is right Biblically.

It feels strange not giving because it was beaten into me. But I can't find it in scripture. Any advice?
Tithing never stopped.....
Old 03-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Scripture please? I've never seen where tithing was for Gentiles. If you have scripture for it, please share.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Scripture please? I've never seen where tithing was for Gentiles. If you have scripture for it, please share.
We are adopted. His people tithe.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Don't say it... don't say it...
Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Don't say it... don't say it...
Say it!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
We are adopted. His people tithe.
Please explain the difference between ot tithing and nt tithing, inclusive of explanation 1)where it was changed from ag to money. 2)who ALL trade wise is involved in tithing in the OT, and where and when it wAs altered in the nt to everyone 3) who all received tithes in the OT in comparison to who ALL exactly should receive tithes in the nt. please be explicit seeing as how this transformation is not explained at all in the nt, and there are many mAny nt ministries in the kingdom 4) how exactly was the tithes handled and "worked out" between the new Christians AND the unbelieving Jews while the it temple yet remained "in operation" for the next +/-35 years after Jesus resurrection.
5) Should nt Christisns have "a year of jubilee" and not pay tithes for a year? Please explain why or why not.

Backing it up with scripture would be good, so we don't have to just guess.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 03-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Please explain the difference between ot tithing and nt tithing, inclusive of explanation 1)where it was changed from ag to money. 2)who ALL trade wise is involved in tithing in the OT, and where and when it wAs altered in the nt to everyone 3) who all received tithes in the OT in comparison to who ALL exactly should receive tithes in the nt. please be explicit seeing as how this transformation is not explained at all in the nt, and there are many mAny nt ministries in the kingdom 4) how exactly was the tithes handled and "worked out" between the new Christians AND the unbelieving Jews while the it temple yet remained "in operation" for the next +/-35 years after Jesus resurrection.
5) Can nt Christisns have "a year if jubilee" and not tithes? Please explain why or why not.

Backing it up with scripture would be good, so we don't have to just guess.
Seriously I have taught on this and I have never been able to finish in one setting so trying to type it all out for me would be impossible. And you know scripture is silent on some of your questions and you are just trying to paint me in a corner
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Tithing was for the support of the Levits who did not have any inheritance in the land, for their work of maintenance and upkeep of the temple. It was also used to aid the poor, widows and strangers in the land. It was ALWAYS and ONLY paid in livestock and agriculture. So if you were a carpenter in old testiment times you were NOT required to tithe. This all changed with the passing of the old covenant and the new. It's very simple really.

Those who insist that we must tithe cannot provide an explanation as to why it is NEVER taught in the New Testiment. The reason is simple. Giving IS taught in the New Testiment.

This has been discussed in depth many times here. Like here for instance.
http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...ad.php?t=40565