Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Apostolic Articles
Facebook

Notices

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
family, lectionary, plan, reading, study

Old 09-16-2017, 03:23 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Post Bible Reading Schedule

I am including an attached pdf of our family Bible Reading Schedule for those who would be interested in a yearly Bible reading plan.
  • The Plan will cover the entire Bible as follows: The Law (Pentateuch) twice a year, the rest of the Old Testament (except Psalms) once per year, and the Psalms, Gospels, and Epistles (including Acts and Revelation) four times per year.
  • The Plan has 356 reading days, leaving 9 days of the year without any scheduled readings. This is due to Feast days having their own special readings, but can be used for "catching up" in case you miss some days.
  • The schedule can be broken up into morning and evening readings. We read from the Law and the Gospel in the morning, and from the Writings and the Epistles in the evening. The Psalm readings usually have two Psalms, so we use one in the morning reading and the other in the evening.
  • Some Psalms are long, and therefore split across the readings. Thus, for example, day 35 calls for Psalm 68. We read half of the Psalm for the morning, and the other half for the evening. Psalm 78 takes two days, so we break it into fourths, reading the first fourth in the morning of day 41, the second fourth in the evening, the third in the morning of day 42, and the fourth in the evening, etc.
  • Psalm 119 is very long, but in your Bible it is conveniently divided into 22 sections of 8 verses each, indicated by a Hebrew letter heading (Aleph, Beth, Gimel, etc). We assign 3 sections to each day, with the last day covering the final four sections. So, in the morning, we read 1 and a half sections, then in the evening the other one and a half sections. On the last day we read two sections in the morning, and two in the evening.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lectionary2.pdf (49.0 KB, 21 views)

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 09-16-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:59 AM
"Gertie"

Smile Re: Bible Reading Schedule

Looks great, just downloaded it to my desktop.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Bible Reading Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC View Post
Looks great, just downloaded it to my desktop.
Glad you can use it. It's worked out great for us for the last several years.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 09-17-2017, 06:42 PM
"Gertie"

Old 09-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

I commend you brother but I probably wouldn't make it past day 1. That is 7 chapters a day on day one.

I have read the NT through for about 10 or 12 yrs by reading a chapter a day for Mon - Fri. That works for me. I make a chart and mark it off daily.

I guess I am not as disciplined as you. Congratulations again. God bless you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I am including an attached pdf of our family Bible Reading Schedule for those who would be interested in a yearly Bible reading plan.
  • The Plan will cover the entire Bible as follows: The Law (Pentateuch) twice a year, the rest of the Old Testament (except Psalms) once per year, and the Psalms, Gospels, and Epistles (including Acts and Revelation) four times per year.
  • The Plan has 356 reading days, leaving 9 days of the year without any scheduled readings. This is due to Feast days having their own special readings, but can be used for "catching up" in case you miss some days.
  • The schedule can be broken up into morning and evening readings. We read from the Law and the Gospel in the morning, and from the Writings and the Epistles in the evening. The Psalm readings usually have two Psalms, so we use one in the morning reading and the other in the evening.
  • Some Psalms are long, and therefore split across the readings. Thus, for example, day 35 calls for Psalm 68. We read half of the Psalm for the morning, and the other half for the evening. Psalm 78 takes two days, so we break it into fourths, reading the first fourth in the morning of day 41, the second fourth in the evening, the third in the morning of day 42, and the fourth in the evening, etc.
  • Psalm 119 is very long, but in your Bible it is conveniently divided into 22 sections of 8 verses each, indicated by a Hebrew letter heading (Aleph, Beth, Gimel, etc). We assign 3 sections to each day, with the last day covering the final four sections. So, in the morning, we read 1 and a half sections, then in the evening the other one and a half sections. On the last day we read two sections in the morning, and two in the evening.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS View Post
I commend you brother but I probably wouldn't make it past day 1. That is 7 chapters a day on day one.

I have read the NT through for about 10 or 12 yrs by reading a chapter a day for Mon - Fri. That works for me. I make a chart and mark it off daily.

I guess I am not as disciplined as you. Congratulations again. God bless you.
We break each day into two readings (morning and evening). It seemed like a lot at first for us, too! Especially when reading the "begats" lol. I just remember the song "Keep your hand on the plow".

Whatever works, as long as you are reading God's Word!

Old 10-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Bump

Old 10-22-2020, 10:31 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

Currently, because of everyone's schedule, we have gone to one reading per day (in the evening), like follows:

Law, Psalm, Writings day 1
Gospel, Psalm, Epistle day 2

Thus an old testament reading one day, a new testament reading the next day. Technically, this makes it a two year reading schedule (since everything is halved) but for us it works out fine since we've already been through the whole thing several times already, in addition to whatever other Bible reading we are doing individually.

Again, the main thing isn't adherence to a particular schedule or pace, but rather that the Bible is read and discussed on a consistent basis.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

One another thing. We have noticed a peculiarity with this particular schedule. It was not intended, but it worked out that many MANY times the different readings seem to fit together by theme. For example, last night we read Exodus 14, Psalm 108, and Isaiah 50 and 51. The Passover theme of deliverance was prominent in EACH reading:

Exodus 14 describes the parting of the Read Sea and God's divine deliverance of the hosts of Israel.

Psalm 108 says "That thy beloved may be delivered: save with thy right hand, and answer me" and "Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go forth with our hosts?..Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man. Through God we shall do valiantly: for he it is that shall tread down our enemies..."

Isaiah 50 says "Wherefore, when I came, was there no man? when I called, was there none to answer? Is my hand shortened at all, that it cannot redeem? or have I no power to deliver? behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a wilderness: their fish stinketh, because there is no water, and dieth for thirst."

Isaiah 51 says "My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust." And "Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?..Art thou not it which hath dried the sea, the waters of the great deep; that hath made the depths of the sea a way for the ransomed to pass over?" And "But I am the LORD thy God, that divided the sea, whose waves roared: The LORD of hosts is his name..."

This type of synchronicity seems to occur on an almost regular basis with this reading schedule. I find that very interesting.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Looking forward to giving this a try once I finish my current plan! I always work on an annual plan but I don’t pressure myself into completing said plan in a year. It just keeps me reading with consistency. This one may spread over a longer period than a year, but I really like the layout!