Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:09 PM

I Love You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."

The author of this statement obviously captured the deeper thought that there is more to love than just feelings and emotions.

I have maintained the same premise throughout the other thread(s) that there are forces that influence our relationships.

I believe the apostolic culture has a tremendous influence in terms of directing, and creating an environment or set of rules regarding how to operate within the culture.

There are some pastors who do not have a genuine family first mentality. They believe that the church is somehow grafted into the family unit, therefore, by virtue of saying family first he is saying church family first.

This of course is an attempt to resurrect the s--y discussion.

For the sake of RRFord, I have asked no questions.

Last edited by Carpenter; 02-12-2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Acceptable Title
Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

"Perfect love casteth out all fear."

The author of this statement obviously captured the deeper thought that there is more to love than just feelings and emotions.

I have maintained the same premise throughout my 20 or so years in the ministry.

I believe the true apostolic culture has a tremendous influence in terms of directing, and creating an environment of that love and teachings that protect that love and allow one to become a mature child of God.

There are some pastors who do have a genuine family first mentality. Men such as myself who made a ministerial position change primarily because of the spiritual welfare and overall happiness of his family. They believe that the church is secondary to the family unit, therefore, by virtue of saying family first he is saying God first.

This of course is NOT an attempt to resurrect the s--y discussion.

For the sake Carp, I have also asked no questions.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrford View Post
"Perfect love casteth out all fear."

I have maintained the same premise throughout my 20 or so years in the ministry.

I believe the true apostolic culture has a tremendous influence in terms of directing, and creating an environment of that love and teachings that protect that love and allow one to become a mature child of God.

There are some pastors who do have a genuine family first mentality. Men such as myself who made a ministerial position change primarily because of the spiritual welfare and overall happiness of his family. They believe that the church is secondary to the family unit, therefore, by virtue of saying family first he is saying God first.

This of course is NOT an attempt to resurrect the s--y discussion.

For the sake Carp, I have also asked no questions.

Fantastic! I love it.

So you are saying that you have removed the Church from the network of the family unit?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post

Fantastic! I love it.

So you are saying that you have removed the Church from the network of the family unit?
That is an impossibility as you state it. In light of scripture can one be a true family without the Church? (Not wanting to delve into either semantics or the philosophical, but I believe there is merit to the question.)
Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 AM
delete account

Lightbulb

Quote:

I have maintained the same premise throughout the other thread(s) that there are forces that influence our relationships.

I believe the apostolic culture has a tremendous influence in terms of directing, and creating an environment or set of rules regarding how to operate within the culture.

There are some pastors who do not have a genuine family first mentality. They believe that the church is somehow grafted into the family unit, therefore, by virtue of saying family first he is saying church family first.

I have ridden on both sides of the fence, but when all is said and done...it is family that you have when all the church family has forsaken you!

There is a separation between church and family. I have to admire Bro. Kershaw. A man came to visit the church who had previously been a member of Bro. Kershaw's church. He said something to the effect that he felt like Bro. Kershaw was his father. Bro. Kershaw said, " I don't think my children would accept that but I appreciate the compliment". He set a boundary. This is a good thing.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 AM
delete account

It is not "Healthy" to triangulate the church members into a family unit. It is not scriptural either.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 AM
My Family!

Excellent Carp!

Perfect timing with Valentine's Day tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 AM
My Family!

Straight out of Bible College and into the ministry, I believe my husband and I started off on the wrong foot with all this church/family/love stuff.

He was trying so hard to do the right thing with the pastor of the church that we were assisting that he put the church and the pastor before he did our relationship.

I wouldn't blame that on the church or even the pastor, but immaturity on my husband's part. It was two of the hardest years of my life, however the experience was invaluable in teaching me patience and understanding.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:39 AM
the ultracon

happy V= day Carp!!! I love you too.

Now let's all sing the Barney song. ;-)
Old 02-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Quote:

Carp,

I painfully have to agree with you on the bolded part. My growing up in a pastor's home made me always feel that church family was first and the truth is--they were. But, I am soooo over that!