Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:02 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I certainly crenged at seeing this box gumbo business but I figured, he dont know no better....

now if revrandy has suggested he was feeding this to a louisiana evangelist, I would surely have cautioned against such a trespass.
We keep a confessional / Outhouse out back of the house... and there's a Minister on Call.. lest I transgress!!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:04 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Just because I am sooooo nice, here is the official gumbo recipe of the WORLD

Real Gumbo, not that disgusting stuff that gets passed off as gumbo by people who don’t know better.

This is the OFFICIAL GUMBO OF THE WORLD! All other variants are just that: Variants. Why would you want a variant when you can have the real thing?

Ingredients:

2 Cups Flour
2 ½ cups Canola Oil
1 Chicken cut up.
2 Bay leaves
1 Onion quartered
2 Stalks Celery cut in large chunks
1 large Carrot

1 Lbs. Sausage
1 Onion diced
3 Cloves Garlic crushed
1 Green Bell Pepper diced
4 Stalks Celery diced
Tony Chachere's seasoning.
Green Onion

Roux:
Pre Heat Oven to 400
Mix the Flour and Canola Oil in a Dutch Oven (if you don’t have one go buy one). Place in oven. Check and stir every 15 minutes until the color is chocolate. If the roux starts to look gritty, add some more oil. (This is the hard part. You need to get the consistency of the uncooked roux right. It should be pretty loose but not overly so. Kind of like a milk shake that is about half melted. )
When the color is a chocolate brown remove from oven and stir to cool. If it smells burnt it is toss it and start over.

Cook the Chicken in a large stockpot with the Bay leaves, quartered onion, 2 stalks celery and large carrot for 1 hour. When the Chicken is done, take it out of the sock and de-bone
Remove all the ingredients from the stock. Reserve the Bay leaves. Allow the Stock to cool enough to degrease.

Cook the Sausage in a skillet and set aside.
Sauté the Diced Veggies and Garlic in the drippings from the sausage. Add butter or Olive Oil if needed.

Bring the Stock to boil and then start adding the Roux. When about half the Roux is added, start adding the Tony Chachere’s. When the saltiness is right the spice will be right. If you can’t take the spiciness don’t make gumbo. Add more Roux to desired taste and consistency. I add it all.

Add the veggies, sausage and deboned chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Adjust the flavor. Degrease as much as possible. Just before serving slice the green onions and put on top of the Gumbo. Serve over Rice.

LONG GRAIN RICE! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER USE PAR-BOILED OR MINUTE RICE WITH GUMBO! THAT WILL KEEP YOU OUT OF HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good Cajun will Serve Gumbo over potato salad. It is very good that way….

If you want, get some Gumbo File Powder. ***VERY IMPORTANT*** don’t add the File to the Pot. NEVER allow gumbo with File to come to a boil it gets stringy this is one of the things that people do that makes me nuts…. Almost as bad as serving with Par-Boiled rice (something that God and I hate by the way). If you cant cook real rice, invest in a rice cooker they are great!
Sprinkle your Gumbo (in your bowl) with the File and enjoy!
Tabasco is also appropriate but don’t add to the pot, it might offend the weak tongued…
Old 04-23-2007, 02:05 PM

And here is my "clean" version of dirty rice

Dirty Rice (well, kinda dirty rice which isnt real dirty rice as you wouldn’t cook the real thing if I told you how….you sure wouldn’t eat it if you knew what was in it)

1 Med. Onion diced

1 Green Bell Pepper

About 4 celery stalks.

1 lbs ground beef

2 cups rice

Tony's seasoning

(note the total amount of bell pepper and celery should be equal to the total amount of onion. AND the bell pepper and celery should be in equal parts.

Cook rice

Sauté veggies

(optional step) after you sauté the onions, you can place them in a blender and puree them. I do this because Mrs. Ferd doesn’t like the way onions feel in her mouth. I think it adds something to the dish so I think I like it better this way too…

Brown meat in a Dutch oven, add Tony's seasoning to taste. When meat is cooked add cooked rice and the pureed veggies stir together and re-season with Tony's to taste

NOTE: you don’t need salt as Tony's has salt. You don’t need pepper because Tony's has pepper. In fact Tony's is the perfect blend. When the salt is right the spice is right!

Good cookin' Ya'll!

Variation: if you don’t want to puree the veggies, just add the meat to the veggies after you have sautéed them to a nice light brown.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
anyone want to share a reciepe for sweet cornbread?
Corn Fritters

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/reci...itters/591.rcr

Broccoli Corn Bread

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/reci...nbread/251.rcr

Secret Ingredient Number 1!

1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Just because I am sooooo nice, here is the official gumbo recipe of the WORLD

Real Gumbo, not that disgusting stuff that gets passed off as gumbo by people who don’t know better.

This is the OFFICIAL GUMBO OF THE WORLD! All other variants are just that: Variants. Why would you want a variant when you can have the real thing?

Ingredients:

2 Cups Flour
2 ½ cups Canola Oil
1 Chicken cut up.
2 Bay leaves
1 Onion quartered
2 Stalks Celery cut in large chunks
1 large Carrot

1 Lbs. Sausage
1 Onion diced
3 Cloves Garlic crushed
1 Green Bell Pepper diced
4 Stalks Celery diced
Tony Chachere's seasoning.
Green Onion

Roux:
Pre Heat Oven to 400
Mix the Flour and Canola Oil in a Dutch Oven (if you don’t have one go buy one). Place in oven. Check and stir every 15 minutes until the color is chocolate. If the roux starts to look gritty, add some more oil. (This is the hard part. You need to get the consistency of the uncooked roux right. It should be pretty loose but not overly so. Kind of like a milk shake that is about half melted. )
When the color is a chocolate brown remove from oven and stir to cool. If it smells burnt it is toss it and start over.

Cook the Chicken in a large stockpot with the Bay leaves, quartered onion, 2 stalks celery and large carrot for 1 hour. When the Chicken is done, take it out of the sock and de-bone
Remove all the ingredients from the stock. Reserve the Bay leaves. Allow the Stock to cool enough to degrease.

Cook the Sausage in a skillet and set aside.
Sauté the Diced Veggies and Garlic in the drippings from the sausage. Add butter or Olive Oil if needed.

Bring the Stock to boil and then start adding the Roux. When about half the Roux is added, start adding the Tony Chachere’s. When the saltiness is right the spice will be right. If you can’t take the spiciness don’t make gumbo. Add more Roux to desired taste and consistency. I add it all.

Add the veggies, sausage and deboned chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour. Adjust the flavor. Degrease as much as possible. Just before serving slice the green onions and put on top of the Gumbo. Serve over Rice.

LONG GRAIN RICE! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER USE PAR-BOILED OR MINUTE RICE WITH GUMBO! THAT WILL KEEP YOU OUT OF HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A good Cajun will Serve Gumbo over potato salad. It is very good that way….

If you want, get some Gumbo File Powder. ***VERY IMPORTANT*** don’t add the File to the Pot. NEVER allow gumbo with File to come to a boil it gets stringy this is one of the things that people do that makes me nuts…. Almost as bad as serving with Par-Boiled rice (something that God and I hate by the way). If you cant cook real rice, invest in a rice cooker they are great!
Sprinkle your Gumbo (in your bowl) with the File and enjoy!
Tabasco is also appropriate but don’t add to the pot, it might offend the weak tongued…

I got a Lil' Shockamoo... right here in my chair at work... almost took off around my office!!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
Corn Fritters

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/reci...itters/591.rcr

Broccoli Corn Bread

http://www.realcajunrecipes.com/reci...nbread/251.rcr

Secret Ingredient Number 1!

1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
as in the sweet kind, almost like cake?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I got a Lil' Shockamoo... right here in my chair at work... almost took off around my office!!
LOL! Brother, feed this to your church and everyone will get saved!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
as in the sweet kind, almost like cake?
Can't stand Jiffy....

Sweet Cornbread is for Lilly Livered Liberals!!!

Give me the Buttermilk and the Butter!!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Can't stand Jiffy....

Sweet Cornbread is for Lilly Livered Liberals!!!

Give me the Buttermilk and the Butter!!
this is a man who knows something about Religion!

Amne Reverand! say on!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
this is a man who knows something about Religion!

Amne Reverand! say on!
I printed your recipe...

Would a Covered Iron Deep Skillet work for the Dutch Oven?