Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Social Services vs. Personal Responsibility

We are taxed to death and yet there are people with disabilities etc., who are not helped. Where do we draw the lines as to helping people vs. expecting them to carry their own weight? This is a vast subject going from money for schools (some say homeschool) to helping the hungry (some say 'get a job!') to mental health (some say 'give it to God!') to universal health care (some say 'trust God and I don't want to support someone who smoked and drank all their life!). A huge social system could culiminate in a world system of some type and yet obviously, some social services are needed. Where do we draw the line?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 PM
CupCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
We are taxed to death and yet there are people with disabilities etc., who are not helped. Where do we draw the lines as to helping people vs. expecting them to carry their own weight? This is a vast subject going from money for schools (some say homeschool) to helping the hungry (some say 'get a job!') to mental health (some say 'give it to God!') to universal health care (some say 'trust God and I don't want to support someone who smoked and drank all their life!). A huge social system could culiminate in a world system of some type and yet obviously, some social services are needed. Where do we draw the line?
It never seem to stop, it seem like the ones who really need help are overlooked, while the few who feed upon the system as a way of life get away with it~
Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm in the process of writing and essay about this sort of thing on my blog. This has been something that is on my mind lately.
Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break into pieces. | Etienne de la Boetie

My Site
Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 PM
delete account

Being a Social WOrker for 10+ years as well as a counselor...I can tell you there is multiple services for anyone in need. In decades past the responsibility was taken on by churches but today this is not so. I think churches need to do more to contribute to community resources.

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

The Dept. of Education should be dismantled for starters. Let the states decide what is best for their constituents that wish to opt into a public system..

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
The Dept. of Education should be dismantled for starters. Let the states decide what is best for their constituents that wish to opt into a public system..
Public schools have many programs in place for the learning disabled, mentally, emotionally, and behaviorally challenged. They do an awesome job for the most part.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 PM
delete account

Guess I killed this thread!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

I find myself leaning toward being a social liberal. Not that I actually am. I am a libertarian almost exclusively.

I lean toward social liberality because someone needs to take care of the downtrodden and those who are in very bad situations. To be frank, church has fallen down on the job, IMO. We, as Christians, are often worried about the soul of the sinner more than the physical.

That said, since the church, local churches I might add, doesn't do well with this area, I find myself leaning toward social liberal tendencies. I find that often it is more about the size of the church, all the niceties, and all the amenities than pushing for moderate living across the board from the saint to the pastor.

But that's just me...
Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break into pieces. | Etienne de la Boetie

My Site
Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_slatter View Post
I'm in the process of writing and essay about this sort of thing on my blog. This has been something that is on my mind lately.
How about sharing???
Old 05-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
Being a Social WOrker for 10+ years as well as a counselor...I can tell you there is multiple services for anyone in need. In decades past the responsibility was taken on by churches but today this is not so. I think churches need to do more to contribute to community resources.

Blessings, Rhoni
But where should the lines be drawn? And if churches are supposed to do more, how is this going to be implemented?

Do you think funding for social services is more or less than in the past?

How do you think abundant social services has effected America as a whole? For good and/or for bad.