Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Good story, Elder. Did the people that made the comment about your young ladies come to your church to visit? I've yet to see anyone come to church because of how someone looked. I've seen several who came to church because of how others acted tho.

If people were enticed to join churches/communities by appearance alone, the Amish community would be growing every day.
We have people in our church saved that were FIRST attracted by what they saw. And I have a pastor friend that has just baptized 2 families and this was their testimony. The difference was alluring to them. The Amish do NOT look like our folks. Strawman they are NOT saved.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
We have people in our church saved that were FIRST attracted by what they saw. And I have a pastor friend that has just baptized 2 families and this was their testimony. The difference was alluring to them. The Amish do NOT look like our folks. Strawman they are NOT saved.
No, but according to those who espouse outward separation, they LOOK a lot more saved than most Apostolics.

And, I assume that the answer to my question about whether the people visited because of what they saw is "no"?
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
No, but according to those who espouse outward separation, they LOOK a lot more saved than most Apostolics.

And, I assume that the answer to my question about whether the people visited because of what they saw is "no"?
I have no idea however the employer and his wife visited. I don't know if any of the others did or not I was not there. However we have had folks visit us and claim that was a reason. I have NO reason to lie why would do that? Some folks see our people everyday and it means nothing to them but evidently it does to some people. We had 5 ladies working at a bank and the president and his wife told me they were the best looking people there. They said they look so wholesome.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
I have no idea however the employer and his wife visited. I don't know if any of the others did or not I was not there. However we have had folks visit us and claim that was a reason. I have NO reason to lie why would do that? Some folks see our people everyday and it means nothing to them but evidently it does to some people. We had 5 ladies working at a bank and the president and his wife told me they were the best looking people there. They said they look so wholesome.
That's all well and good, and I never accused you of lying. I would also not disagree that women who embrace traditional Apostolic standards are very lady like and beautiful, in most cases.

However, my original statement, the one that you first replied to, was "I'd like to know how many people have visited Apostolic churches based solely on someone else's appearance".

You seemed to place much more emphasis on people's comments about appearance, not how many have actually visited/been converted in your assembly because of someone else's appearance.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 05-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Van Pelt View Post
You'd think you guys like the long hair so you can pull the woman around with it.

That's why I cut mine.
Hey Lucy! That is the exact reason men first began cutting their hair short! Alexander the Great made his men do so; so that their enemies would have a harder time grabbing hold of them and/or cutting their heads off!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That's all well and good, and I never accused you of lying. I would also not disagree that women who embrace traditional Apostolic standards are very lady like and beautiful, in most cases.

However, my original statement, the one that you first replied to, was "I'd like to know how many people have visited Apostolic churches based solely on someone else's appearance".

You seemed to place much more emphasis on people's comments about appearance, not how many have actually visited/been converted in your assembly because of someone else's appearance.
It has happened and some are saved today and IF only ONE came because of it that would be enough. The value of one soul.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
It has happened and some are saved today and IF only ONE came because of it that would be enough. The value of one soul.
So, you're saying that some people were saved by other people's appearance? It had nothing to do with the hunger in their hearts?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Not exactly.... What of casting away the stones out of the path to the city of refuge? I can't imagine that there aren't many more along the side of the road because of what looked like onerous conditions to participate...
Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Supreme Queen Here

Quote:
Just wonder how many have been lost because of it? The value of one soul.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Her FIRST love is to God and His divine order just because a man doesn't understand it does not change it. God set the symbol not the husband. His ignorance changes nothing. And that is the FACTS.
Do you think God is more interested in the symbol or the act? What of David eating the shewbread?
Closed Thread