Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

Re: Check this Book Out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Not you specifically, no. I have a suspicion that you are quite life affirming, despite your training as a lawyer. You demonstrate Grace without even meaning to. Leave the condemnation for the Berts of the world, imo. And the satans. We got legion there already.

When Grace is properly the focus and demonstrated, the ones who matter will seek the Law on their own, and as for the ones that don't, "What is the chaff to the wheat?" They would be the first flakes in the fire anyway.

I have never had any legal training to stand before the bar and take the exam. I do appreciate your estimation of my intellect and spiritual condition (though I am also well aware that you are far to kind).

I do not see a difference between believing in an eternal judgment with the ability to be as kind and courteous as is possible. I just wish that I could live it to the degree that so many are convinced that I do.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I have never had any legal training to stand before the bar and take the exam. I do appreciate your estimation of my intellect and spiritual condition (though I am also well aware that you are far to kind).

I do not see a difference between believing in an eternal judgment with the ability to be as kind and courteous as is possible. I just wish that I could live it to the degree that so many are convinced that I do.
"Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am." lol
And amen--judgement is eternal, ty God for Your Grace.
And we're all going to get the chance to do that last part, I'm thinkin.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

I see no more abuse in telling people they may end up in hell for living in sin than I would see abuse in telling someone they may end up destroying their life if they endulge in adultery, drugs, fraud or otehr immoral actions. I see the opposite. I see concern for them. You warn those you care for and wish to see the best for.

I warn people about the possibility of an eternal hell if they don't love God and seek to live right because I care for them. I don't want them to end up there.

Abuse would be telling peopel they shoul djust love god and live however they want b/c in the end we all get to go to heaven anyways whn that isn't in the scripture despite what the UNiversalist nonsense attempts to propagate.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Im not sure preaching hell has worked, At least not in perfecting saints.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:57 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post
I see no more abuse in telling people they may end up in hell for living in sin than I would see abuse in telling someone they may end up destroying their life if they endulge in adultery, drugs, fraud or otehr immoral actions. I see the opposite. I see concern for them. You warn those you care for and wish to see the best for.

I warn people about the possibility of an eternal hell if they don't love God and seek to live right because I care for them. I don't want them to end up there.

Abuse would be telling peopel they shoul djust love god and live however they want b/c in the end we all get to go to heaven anyways whn that isn't in the scripture despite what the UNiversalist nonsense attempts to propagate.
Your kidding, comparing a messed up life with ED????
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
Im not sure preaching hell has worked, At least not in perfecting saints.
It was implemented by the Roman state church to control the massess! It hasn't worked because folks don't really believe it, it is too horrible to be believed.

This book is not a Unitarian view, it is a Christian Universalists view, the authors views are common to most of us, other that CU, which he presents in the context of scripture. He shows how ED has terrorized people for centuries, and the church just cannot believe is it false, to which he presents scripture and experience to prove its validity. I have come to embrace his conclusions over the last ten years of intense study, and prayful consideration. CU is being studied and clarified more and more, and this author voices more clearly where my studies have taken me than any other author that I have been able to find.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org

Last edited by crakjak; 02-23-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk013 View Post

I just believe that the whole premise is wrong there, and satan inspired. the whole focus becomes hell, and its avoidance, instead of "Life, more abundantly." It is preaching Law, when we are under Grace. This does not mean that Law is not necessary, but that it def should not be the focus. I liken it to negative v positive reinforcement. Christ remains a virtual abstract with this model. I effectively just got to know Christ when I dumped this, a couple of years ago.

It's great to care for people, literally. That strikes me as a much better way than following a model that will dictate that you worry about hair length, when your starving, thirsty neighbor could not care less about that.

Last edited by bbyrd009; 02-23-2012 at 09:11 AM.