Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Healing Scriptures

Psalm 91:1 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."

We cannot find healing or faith unless we have spent time in his presence. The Word will produce faith and healing by drawing us into His presence.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
By His stripes we are healed ...

For awhile I've struggled whether or not we in some ways misapply this verse to automatically mean physical healing .... or that somehow as some say we don't have enough faith in what he did on the cross if we do not receive healing

Looking at the context of it .... it seems to pertain mostly to our spiritual man and condition ...

Quote:
5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
One writer states:

"The phrase "we were healed" in Strongs Concordance the Hebrew word is chabbuwrah- bound (with stripes), i.e. a weal (or black-and-blue mark itself):

The root word is #2266 chabar-1) to unite, to join, to bind together, to be joined, to be coupled, to be in league, to heap up, to have fellowship with, to unite, to join oneself to, to make an alliance.

By his stripes we were healed, we were made united to God spiritually now having fellowship where sin once kept us from this. While this does not dismiss his physically healing us, it in no way is a guarantee of it. To teach this can be just as much a disservice than someone teaching God no longer heals!"

And so I think we can apply it to physical healing but really the thrust of this message is that by His sacrifice we are make whole w/ and in God.

More on this topic here
Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

When Jesus said "forgive them" talking about the people who were in the very process of crucifying Him.

I often think of this when I am irate at someone.... I either think of it or He is gently "reminding me".

Of course, it's not about healing in the physical sense....
Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Incredible India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
By stripes we are healed ...

For awhile I've struggled whether or not we in some ways misapply this verse to automatically mean physical healing .... or that somehow as some say we don't have enough faith in what he did on the cross if we do not receive healing

Looking at the context of it .... it seems to pertain mostly to our spiritual man and condition ...

One writer states:

"The phrase "we were healed" in Strongs Concordance the Hebrew word is chabbuwrah- bound (with stripes), i.e. a weal (or black-and-blue mark itself):

The root word is #2266 chabar-1) to unite, to join, to bind together, to be joined, to be coupled, to be in league, to heap up, to have fellowship with, to unite, to join oneself to, to make an alliance.

By his stripes we were healed, we were made united to God spiritually now having fellowship where sin once kept us from this. While this does not dismiss his physically healing us, it in no way is a guarantee of it. To teach this can be just as much a disservice than someone teaching God no longer heals!"

And so I think we can apply to physical healing but really the thrust of this message is that by His sacrifice we are make whole w/ and in God.

More on this topic here
Good thought-thanks for sharing!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Incredible India

Matthew 4:23
Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people
Old 04-04-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
When Jesus said "forgive them" talking about the people who were in the very process of crucifying Him.

I often think of this when I am irate at someone.... I either think of it or He is gently "reminding me".

Of course, it's not about healing in the physical sense....
More from the article on being healed by His stripes:

Do we see the apostles use this as a guarantee for their sicknesses or afflictions. Paul mentions Christ being crushed for our sins in the communion service, but he has nothing to say about healing (using phrases taken from atonement Scriptures). This verse is cited twice in the New Testament. In Romans 4:25: where the context is Jesus suffering for our sins. The Greek term `healing' ( therapis from the Hebrew rapha) is not found in the text and the context deals with sin, not illness.

1 Pet. 2:24: "Who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness-- by whose stripes you were healed..

Peter In 1 Pt.2:21-24 applies this to the cross and the spiritual healing of sins, he says nothing about the healing of diseases in our now mortal bodies. So we see that both New Testament references to this verse do not mentions illness.

While Isa.53:5 says we are healed, Peter refers the stripes to being on the cross (not before) and says by whose stripes you were healed, making it past tense. Showing when event was accomplished. It is related to our spiritual healing of sins not physical well being. To further solidify the context of this interpretation Isa.53:6 speaks of us as sheep going astray. 1 Pt.2:25 also uses the same format, "as sheep gone astray but now returning to the shepherd of our souls. Today he heals through his death, the atonement and through his present ministry of intercession.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
By His stripes we are healed ...

One writer states:

And so I think we can apply it to physical healing but really the thrust of this message is that by His sacrifice we are make whole w/ and in God.

More on this topic here
Good post, Daniel!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Exodus 15:26 ...I am the Lord that healeth thee
Old 04-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever!

Another thing I really like is something Caleb said in Numbers 13:30 after they spied out the Promised land: Let us go up at once, and possess it; for we are well able to overcome it.

All the promises of God are ours just like the promised land was for the Isrealites. We only need the faith like Caleb to go and possess those promises.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 04-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Oh yes, this is one of my favorites...

A few years ago, I wrote out some of these same healing Sciptures on small poster board and sent them to a friend's mom in California, and then a year ago to another's friend's mom.

Both ladies have said that they still read their Scriptures and keep them close...keeping the Word close is SO important.

This is a good thread...