Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

The Zimmer twins, Lily and Ethel, were students of Harry Morse back around 1916. The dates given in their biography do not add up. Old memories do get a little fuzzy. Since I just learned about them yesterday, things are a bit fuzzy for me as well.

Looks like Morse ordained them around 1916. They evangelized the Bible Belt for 15 years before returning to the golden state. They married and spent the rest of their lives in Lodi and Modesto.

Still working on putting together more data on them.

The database is a lot easier to manage than it did when I began this project.

As always, Google is no substitute for the memory and gracious cooperation of Rev. Steve Epley.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
The Zimmer twins, Lily and Ethel, were students of Harry Morse back around 1916. The dates given in their biography do not add up. Old memories do get a little fuzzy. Since I just learned about them yesterday, things are a bit fuzzy for me as well.

Looks like Morse ordained them around 1916. They evangelized the Bible Belt for 15 years before returning to the golden state. They married and spent the rest of their lives in Lodi and Modesto.

Still working on putting together more data on them.

The database is a lot easier to manage than it did when I began this project.

As always, Google is no substitute for the memory and gracious cooperation of Rev. Steve Epley.
You are kind. Kidson was a major mover and shaker in the Pentecostal movement of that era. He did not last long in the UPC he helped form the IMA which was a result of the “Latter Rain” movement. He publihded their paper.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Suggestion google W. E. Kidson.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

I'm reading the biography of IH Terry. In it is mentioned the biography of Carl Ballestero.

Are there other self published Apostolic biographies I should be aware of ?

I have the one for Clyde Haney. I have a few Frank Bartleman books. Plus bios by Goss, Odell Cagle and all of the group "profile" biographies published by the PPH.

Who else or what churches in California have self published histories ??
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

“When Maggie and I arrived in California, we knew one of our greatest battles would be with “believers” who did not see the necessity of “new birth”. Those who proclaimed the “no light” doctrine were fervent adversaries of Acts 2:38 as a necessary step towards salvation. It was common knowledge that the Pentecostal Church Incorporated defended the “no light” doctrine, so when it was announced the PCI would merge with my organization, the Pentecostal Assemblies of Jesus Christ (PA of JC), I strongly felt it was a mistake. Our leaders in the PA of JC felt through time the revelation of the necessity of the new birth would shine on our “no light” brethren. Time has passed, and the “no light” doctrine is still alive and well in the UPC.”

page 102 IH Terry biography. "A man and a woman passed this way blessed of God"
Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
“When Maggie and I arrived in California, we knew one of our greatest battles would be with “believers” who did not see the necessity of “new birth”. Those who proclaimed the “no light” doctrine were fervent adversaries of Acts 2:38 as a necessary step towards salvation. It was common knowledge that the Pentecostal Church Incorporated defended the “no light” doctrine, so when it was announced the PCI would merge with my organization, the Pentecostal Assemblies of Jesus Christ (PA of JC), I strongly felt it was a mistake. Our leaders in the PA of JC felt through time the revelation of the necessity of the new birth would shine on our “no light” brethren. Time has passed, and the “no light” doctrine is still alive and well in the UPC.”

page 102 IH Terry biography. "A man and a woman passed this way blessed of God"
It was a real battle. Elders Terry, the Davis brothers, Reynolds, Price fought those battles. And men out from under them.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

Terry had other things to say about "free Pentecost", but nothing complimentary. Which is fine. I'm happy to be able to get a feel for what people were thinking and teaching.

There seems to be a big disconnect between California Pentecostalism before the dustbowl immigration and that which came afterwards. Comparing the 2 cultures is interesting. Not just theologically. Those early Pentecostals seemed to be more urban and those Oakies were rural.

Still gathering data....
Old 12-18-2017, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Terry had other things to say about "free Pentecost", but nothing complimentary. Which is fine. I'm happy to be able to get a feel for what people were thinking and teaching.

There seems to be a big disconnect between California Pentecostalism before the dustbowl immigration and that which came afterwards. Comparing the 2 cultures is interesting. Not just theologically. Those early Pentecostals seemed to be more urban and those Oakies were rural.

Still gathering data....
Free Pentecost in California was very wide and deverse in doctrine and practices. Some very strange doctrines.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

But I don't think all the Azusa Street participants were part of the free Pentecost movement.

I need to find out when that began, the primary leaders, etc.

It remind me of another early group of Pentecostals who were more gypsie like than Christian. They were called Holy Rollers. They were in San Francisco from around 1906-1920 or so. The Azusa Street participants did not like being associated with them. They had a criminal charlatan element to them.

In contrast, the Azusa Street participants who came to San Francisco were described as very similar to Peniel Mission workers. Pious and devoted to public service to the poor. But still Pentecostal.

I'm not sure, but I think the demeaning term "Holy Roller" lasted longer than the actual group it described.

If I am wrong in these assessments, feel free to provide correction.