Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-18-2019, 01:48 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Take off your shoes...

...for the place you stand is holy ground.

Some Pentecostals and apostolics remove their shoes for church, or if approaching the altar area, pulpit, etc.

Anyone familiar with this?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM

Re: Take off your shoes...

Nope.

Although my son stationed in Japan is required to take his shoes off before entering his rental house he lives in...does that count?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 02-18-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

Some Pentecostals and apostolics remove their shoes for church, or if approaching the altar area, pulpit, etc.

Yes, I came up in barefoot Apostolic churches.

bare feet and socks.

Not me though, I always kept my boots on.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 AM
New User

I’ve only ever seen women do it. I thought it was because their shoes were uncomfortable.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post

I’ve only ever seen women do it. I thought it was because their shoes were uncomfortable.
I’ve seen men and women do it. Never on the platform. I’ve seen preachers take off their suit jackets, take off neck ties, and unbutton their collar.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Yeshua is God

Quote:

come on Esaias, I take my shoes off when I am at home.
the church is their home, so they just simply want to be comfortable.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 AM
Administrator

I have seen a few men do this, but never religiously. I've done it here and there, too.

I know a brother in the Lord, that years ago, always took his shoes off and prayed on a rug only, because he wanted a dedicated spot for prayer that was exclusively given over to God.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I have seen a few men do this, but never religiously. I've done it here and there, too.

I know a brother in the Lord, that years ago, always took his shoes off and prayed on a rug only, because he wanted a dedicated spot for prayer that was exclusively given over to God.

1 Timothy 2:8

I will therefore that men pray EVERYWHERE, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Im noticing a disturbing trend of fetishizing OT happenings and using it as a guidebook for NT saints.

When I read this, this is the scripture that came to mind but in answer to the original post...isnt that kind of behavior the same as worshipping something that God used one time only.?..I mean I dont ever see it on scripture other than the original account with Moses and the burning bush

Wouldnt this be a bit like taken the brazen serpents and making them into idols something that God legitimately used?

Heres my main question.

Do we have the authority to take something God used as a one time occurence and make a tradition or practice of it?

So Moses who did NOT have the Spirit of God was told to do a certain thing.

He was told to take off his shoes because he was standing on holy ground.

What made the ground holy?

It was the literal manifestation of an invisible God who was yet to enter into man for communion.

It seems as of God was wanting to break down anything that would separate Him from Moses.

Moses could not have touched the burning bush without being consumed but I beleive that God let him get as close as he could without actual contact....and that was just Moses standing barefoot...

What does that mean for a Spirit filled Christian?

For a Spirit filled Christian, shoes do not separate us from God...but sin does.

With Moses...removing his shoes could be seen as a type of removal of a barrier...such as the Temple veil...God was saying, "Anything that separates you from contact with me I want it out of the way."

So now we are Spirit filled and in our quest to be whispy and "spiritual" we get up and act out a high point from someones sermon

Why?

Is it spiritual virtue signalling or is it a pervasive ignorance about what exactly and WHO exactly we possess?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
1 Timothy 2:8

I will therefore that men pray EVERYWHERE, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

Im noticing a disturbing trend of fetishizing OT happenings and using it as a guidebook for NT saints.

When I read this, this is the scripture that came to mind but in answer to the original post...isnt that kind of behavior the same as worshipping something that God used one time only.?..I mean I dont ever see it on scripture other than the original account with Moses and the burning bush

Wouldnt this be a bit like taken the brazen serpents and making them into idols something that God legitimately used?

Heres my main question.

Do we have the authority to take something God used as a one time occurence and make a tradition or practice of it?

So Moses who did NOT have the Spirit of God was told to do a certain thing.

He was told to take off his shoes because he was standing on holy ground.

What made the ground holy?

It was the literal manifestation of an invisible God who was yet to enter into man for communion.

It seems as of God was wanting to break down anything that would separate Him from Moses.

Moses could not have touched the burning bush without being consumed but I beleive that God let him get as close as he could without actual contact....and that was just Moses standing barefoot...

What does that mean for a Spirit filled Christian?

For a Spirit filled Christian, shoes do not separate us from God...but sin does.

With Moses...removing his shoes could be seen as a type of removal of a barrier...such as the Temple veil...God was saying, "Anything that separates you from contact with me I want it out of the way."

So now we are Spirit filled and in our quest to be whispy and "spiritual" we get up and act out a high point from someones sermon

Why?

Is it spiritual virtue signalling or is it a pervasive ignorance about what exactly and WHO exactly we possess?
I was just wondering how common the practice was. Apparently catholics and orthodox also do this to a limited degree.

BTW, Joshua 5:15 has Joshua being told to do the same thing.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I was just wondering how common the practice was. Apparently catholics and orthodox also do this to a limited degree.

BTW, Joshua 5:15 has Joshua being told to do the same thing.
I don't know how common it is. I've seen women do so but I believe they were just getting comfortable.

However, if God told me in an audible voice to take off my shoes because I am on holy ground, guess what I'm going to do.

Yep.

Socks too.

So far He has never done that.