Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Alabama's Abortion Ban

Moments ago, Alabama Gov signed what is labeled as the most restrictive abortion ban in the US. It will go into effect in six months, though the usual pro-abortion orgs are already preparing to challenge the bill in court.

I was surprised by the lack of exceptions for rape/incest, but the author and co-sponsors made it a point to not allow those exceptions.

"""Sponsors insist they wanted to limit exceptions because the bill is designed to push the idea that a fetus is a person with rights, in a direct challenge to the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark Roe v. Wade decision that established a woman's right to abortion."""

Unfortunately, even with Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, it's not a given that the SCOTUS would A) take up the case; B) overturn RvW. Chief Justice Roberts has shown time and again that he will keep the status quo and does not want his SCOTUS tenure to be marked by political cases. That's why he voted for bummercare. He was hailed as a conservative, but has proven to be a fence straddler, siding with the libs as much as the conservatives.

"""The law makes it a crime for doctors to perform abortions at any stage of a pregnancy, unless a woman's life is threatened or there is a lethal fetal anomaly.

Under the new law, doctors in the state face felony jail time up to 99 years if convicted. But a woman would not be held criminally liable for having an abortion."""

"""There are no exceptions for cases of rape or incest"""

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/14/72331...s-abortion-ban
Old 05-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Re: Alabama's Abortion Ban

State interposition and nullification of unconstitutional Federal rulings. Roll tide !!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Moments ago, Alabama Gov signed what is labeled as the most restrictive abortion ban in the US. It will go into effect in six months, though the usual pro-abortion orgs are already preparing to challenge the bill in court.

I was surprised by the lack of exceptions for rape/incest, but the author and co-sponsors made it a point to not allow those exceptions.

"""Sponsors insist they wanted to limit exceptions because the bill is designed to push the idea that a fetus is a person with rights, in a direct challenge to the U.S. Supreme Court's landmark Roe v. Wade decision that established a woman's right to abortion."""

Unfortunately, even with Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, it's not a given that the SCOTUS would A) take up the case; B) overturn RvW. Chief Justice Roberts has shown time and again that he will keep the status quo and does not want his SCOTUS tenure to be marked by political cases. That's why he voted for bummercare. He was hailed as a conservative, but has proven to be a fence straddler, siding with the libs as much as the conservatives.

"""The law makes it a crime for doctors to perform abortions at any stage of a pregnancy, unless a woman's life is threatened or there is a lethal fetal anomaly.

Under the new law, doctors in the state face felony jail time up to 99 years if convicted. But a woman would not be held criminally liable for having an abortion."""

"""There are no exceptions for cases of rape or incest"""

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/14/72331...s-abortion-ban
Why wouldn't the woman wishing to procure the murder be charged??? If someone hires a hit man they're charged.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:54 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipas View Post
Why wouldn't the woman wishing to procure the murder be charged??? If someone hires a hit man they're charged.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 05-15-2019, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Could you imagine the press coverage and vigils being held for the first woman executed in the United States for an abortion? Boy, we'd really show them. Deep fry the wench.

It makes no sense to prosecute doctors but not the women who procure the abortions.

Last edited by Antipas; 05-15-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Banned

I have a prediction.

The SCOTUS will take up the case and overrule it based on the lack of exceptions. The legislations defeat is built into its own language. I believe this is by design. And, I predict that this will all be made a major topic just in time for the 2020 elections.

It's just more political smoke and mirrors on the issue. And both sides will use the bill to whip up their base. And once the election is over, it will be back to business as usual.

Last edited by Antipas; 05-15-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I have a prediction.

The SCOTUS will take up the case and overrule it based on the lack of exceptions. The legislations defeat is built into its own language. I believe this is by design. And, I predict that this will all be made a major topic just in time for the 2020 elections.

It's just more political smoke and mirrors on the issue. And both sides will use the bill to whip up their base. And once the election is over, it will be back to business as usual.
Sounds feasible.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The pro-life movement regards the women as victims, also.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a prediction.

What I have heard is that the 11th circuit will over-rule it, based on Roe vs Wade.
And SCOTUS will not take it up.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
What I have heard is that the 11th circuit will over-rule it, based on Roe vs Wade.
And SCOTUS will not take it up.
I believe it will go to the District Court first, then the 11th Circuit and on to the SCOTUS. It will likely be years before it ever reaches SCOTUS.

At some point, SCOTUS will have to take the case. Whether it's the Alabama bill or another, at some point SCOTUS will have to revisit RoeVWade.

I'd argue that had technology back then been what it is today, there's no way RoeVWade would be in effect right now.