Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Go Dodgers!

UPC doctrinal contradiction

Ok, first of all I am a little bugged by something. The UPCI website does not publish the articles of faith. Yet, for doctrines of the UPCI, they publish a bunch of lame tracts..TRACTS! In one place I read that we (the UPCI) don't believe in creeds and articles of faith. That seems to be a contradiction itself. Why not publish the AOF on the website?

Well, that led me to this, pointed out by an anti-Oneness Trinitarian. He was making an issue of Oneness saying sins are forgiven by water baptism. I quoted the AOF saying sins are forgiven by faith when we repent. He quoted David Bernard's booik saying sins are remitted by baptism

"Baptism is important only because God has ordained it to be so. God could have chosen to remit sin without baptism, but in the New Testament church He has chosen to do so at the moment of baptism. Our actions at baptism do not provide salvation or earn it from God; God alone remits sins based on Christ's atoning death. When we submit to water baptism according to God's plan, God honors our obedient faith and remits our sin. "

"The New Birth" by David Bernard, chap. 6 entitled "Water Baptism"

What do you all think on this?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.